How to Stop Condenstaion?

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
3 hours ago, ChaosJ said:

sounds like fun. Don't know how many of you know about peltier coolers. So basically ill be using one of those to cool. I could create 2 styrofoam insulated boxes. One as a case which will be cooled and one insulated box within THAT with the components which will also be cooled by another peltier. this would give both boxes a much cooler temp. The outside box would become room temp for the inside box maybe then there would be no condenstaion..

Would this be a possible solution? 

Peliter coolers have been used before but it's not really a good option just due to the inefficiency and the amount needed to provide the potential cooling if you want to go sub ambient or even sub zero. For the amount of peliter cooling required you need basically double that of the TDP output for the components of the system.

I am considering building a DIY Icebox for a few beers that perhaps doubles up as a let's call it "Super Cooler" :P. The idea is to pump icy air into my desk computer. But i have a feeling this will introduce moisture and condensation. Any ideas on how to stop that and ensure that i get only cooled air minus the short circuit fun?

Assume that my cooling device can drop temps to around 10 degrees on idle. and 40-50 under load. so obviously that comes with some serious moisture,

Thanks in advance. :) 

you  could not pump air in to the case but rather pump air to a water cooling radiator 

Main rig                             I also got some cheep lg phone and a chromebook, witch I have been known to mine bitcoin on sometimes

CPU: R5 2400g                        

RAM: 8gb ram

MOBO: msi b350 pc mate 

CASE: Eclipse p300

PSU: 500w corsair

you would have to insulate everything, way too much work imo.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Don't do it.

THE RULE OF WATERCOOLING:

Water in any state + electronics = KABOOM

5 hours ago, TechMan2175 said:

yo  could not pump air in to the case but rather pump air to a water cooling radiator in 

hmm, nice idea, but i think the effectiveness will drop drastically.

5 hours ago, Levent said:

you would have to insulate everything, way too much work imo.

This sounds legit, i think i can build that... styrofoam maybe?

5 hours ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

Don't do it.

THE RULE OF WATERCOOLING:

Water in any state + electronics = KABOOM

That's the point of this thread, to find an innovative way around it, not discard it just because nobody is doing it. 

1 minute ago, ChaosJ said:

hmm, nice idea, but i think the effectiveness will drop drastically.

it would be very effective for anything the rad was cooling. An alternative would be to get a really good humidifier and channel all that air from your chiller through it before pushing it to your pc

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, ChaosJ said:

This sounds legit, i think i can build that... styrofoam maybe?

nope not the case itself, you would have to insulate cpu block (and near it) the hoses that carry cold liquid, pump basically you would have to insulate that is using that cold liquid. see the insulation the phase change coolers. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, ChaosJ said:

That's the point of this thread, to find an innovative way around it, not discard it just because nobody is doing it. 

Sorry, my bad. You would have to insulate everything and constantly check for leaks. It is too much work and doesn't really help.

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

it would be very effective for anything the rad was cooling. An alternative would be to get a really good humidifier and channel all that air from your chiller through it before pushing it to your pc

humidifier or de-humidifier?

I think waterfilters for air exist, they are ofthen used for compressors. not sure what that would do to airflow

2 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

humidifier or de-humidifier?

dehumidifier, I mean you could go with my typo, but you'll only kill everything faster

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

19 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

I am considering building a DIY Icebox for a few beers that perhaps doubles up as a let's call it "Super Cooler" :P. The idea is to pump icy air into my desk computer. But i have a feeling this will introduce moisture and condensation. Any ideas on how to stop that and ensure that i get only cooled air minus the short circuit fun?

Assume that my cooling device can drop temps to around 10 degrees on idle. and 40-50 under load. so obviously that comes with some serious moisture,

Thanks in advance. :) 

As said it's not worth the hassle but the easiest is to physically insulate the pipes, blocks and motherboard to prevent condensation build up. There have been some builds which use inert gases like argon in a sealed chamber to prevent active condensation from occurring but it's a much more involved process.

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

dehumidifier, I mean you could go with my typo, but you'll only kill everything faster

I don't think a de-humidifier will be able to handle this kind of condensation

3 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

I don't think a de-humidifier will be able to handle this kind of condensation

maybe not your cheapo walmart dehumidifier, but a really good one should be up to the task, probably won't be very wallet friendly though xD

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

5 hours ago, W-L said:

As said it's not worth the hassle but the easiest is to physically insulate the pipes, blocks and motherboard to prevent condensation build up. There have been some builds which use inert gases like argon in a sealed chamber to prevent active condensation from occurring but it's a much more involved process.

sounds like fun. Don't know how many of you know about peltier coolers. So basically ill be using one of those to cool. I could create 2 styrofoam insulated boxes. One as a case which will be cooled and one insulated box within THAT with the components which will also be cooled by another peltier. this would give both boxes a much cooler temp. The outside box would become room temp for the inside box maybe then there would be no condenstaion..

5 hours ago, Cyracus said:

maybe not your cheapo walmart dehumidifier, but a really good one should be up to the task, probably won't be very wallet friendly though xD

hmm. Maybe. I'll look into it. :) thank you

3 hours ago, ChaosJ said:

Peliter coolers have been used before but it's not really a good option just due to the inefficiency and the amount needed to provide the potential cooling if you want to go sub ambient or even sub zero. For the amount of peliter cooling required you need basically double that of the TDP output for the components of the system.

6 hours ago, W-L said:

Wow! did not know that! they seem super effective as freezers though, But I guess thats at ambient.With an actual heatsource, I need a handful of coolers, essentially a 3 fan AIO of sorts im guessing :). But thank you for this! super helpful. I shall conduct some experiments in my mad science laboratory...a.k.a my washroom.

1 hour ago, ChaosJ said:

Wow! did not know that! they seem super effective as freezers though, But I guess thats at ambient.With an actual heatsource, I need a handful of coolers, essentially a 3 fan AIO of sorts im guessing :). But thank you for this! super helpful. I shall conduct some experiments in my mad science laboratory...a.k.a my washroom.

As a proof of concept some users have tried making a hot side loop and cold side for cooling, requiring the need for insulation for the tubing. Swiftech back in the day made a peliter waterblock.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1584867/tec-chill-box-chamber-build-log

http://www.overclock.net/t/1533164/the-24-7-sub-zero-liquid-chillbox-club

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/swiftech_mcw6500t/

39 minutes ago, W-L said:

As a proof of concept some users have tried making a hot side loop and cold side for cooling, requiring the need for insulation for the tubing. Swiftech back in the day made a peliter waterblock.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1584867/tec-chill-box-chamber-build-log

http://www.overclock.net/t/1533164/the-24-7-sub-zero-liquid-chillbox-club

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/swiftech_mcw6500t/

Yup, was doing my research on water blocks. Still questioning the effectiveness though. :)

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler