Rx 580 + Freesync and an SSD VS GTX 1070 w/ no Gsync

xpost from Reddit

I'm set to buy in a couple of weeks and it seems I have to make additional changes every week. Here is the latest one, I hope you guys can help

Option 1. Rx580 on a free sync monitor, LG 23MP68VQ 23″ (1080p, 75 Hz) and I get to buy an SSD.

Option 2. GTX 1070 on the same monitor but I have to drop the SSD and stick to the WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

My concerns are mostly on the following:

1. Screen tearing, stuttering from losing freesync
  2. Performance loss from dropping the SSD
  3. Will this monitor still go to 75 FPS even if its not on freesync or will it be only at 60fps?

I will only play on 1080p but would like to maximize everything and always be above 60FPS or maybe even 75FPS. Im looking at playing newer AAA titles but I also plan on playing Borderlands 2 for a while. PUBG and CS:GO will also be played a lot

Here is the rest of the build:

*** CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz

*** MoBo: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4

*** RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666

*** HDD: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

*** PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620W 80Plus Bronze Fully Modular

1 minute ago, Aidanlockett1 said:

whats the budget? if your at 1080p and its not like crazy AAA stuff at ultra 580 with an ssd is good but personally id go 1070 and buy an ssd down the line.

Both builds would cost the same from where i'm from (Philippines). If I go with the 1070 would screen tearing be an issue on 1080P 60/75 FPS?

1.You wont be able to maxout everything and get 60fps+ with 580

2.You wont get performance dropping without an SSD u might notice a slower boot times and programs loading times but when in games it doesnt matter

3.It will go even 1000fps but will only be able to display 75frames per second however you must limit your framerate so it doesnt go above the free-sync range, limit it to 73fps if you don't free-sync wont work above the maximum display refresh rate or below free-sync range.

So here's the conclusion

1.Without Adaptive sync u'll notice tearing and sometimes stuttering if u are bothered by it go with the amd gpu with free-sync monitor

2.If u really want to max out every games and get 60fps+ 1070 is your best bet at this point but u'll experience tearing with non adaptive sync monitor unless u use V-sync or fast sync ( not recommended )

3.You can buy 144hz monitor without G-sync in the future or with G-sync if you decide to go with 1070 as with more HZ the tearing will become less noticeable

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

I would get the ssd + 580 8 gb, that gpu is the sweetspot for 1080p and I personally can’t stand HDDs anymore

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

1.Without Adaptive sync u'll notice tearing and sometimes stuttering if u are bothered by it go with the amd gpu with free-sync monitor

How often would this be though? would it ruin the experience?

4 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

2.If u really want to max out every games and get 60fps+ 1070 is your best bet at this point but u'll experience tearing with non adaptive sync monitor unless u use V-sync or fast sync ( not recommended )

I've read of fastsync as an alternative for non gsync monitors, why is it not recommended?

13 minutes ago, chronoval said:

I've read of fastsync as an alternative for non gsync monitors, why is it not recommended?

1. in my experience I can get over 75fps in all but the most performance demanding or poorly optimized games, I don't notice much screen tearing

2. Fast sync is a vsync alternative for adaptive sync, limits frames when gpu puts out more fps than the monitor can display

Hard choice here, an ssd is a major pc usability improvement (sub 10 second boot times) but a 1070 has some nice performance... probably get the 580 and ssd...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

33 minutes ago, chronoval said:

That depends for me its really distracting i am dying to replace my monitor to 120 or 144hz but my parents won't allow me.

33 minutes ago, chronoval said:

Fast Sync work by adding a 3rd frame buffer or simply dropping the frames that the monitor can't display to prevent tearing because of this you'll often notice micro stuttering or juddering caused by those missing frames.

Is that enough or you want the in depth explanation?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

5 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

That depends for me its really distracting i am dying to replace my monitor to 120 or 144hz but my parents won't allow me.

Fast Sync work by adding a 3rd frame buffer or simply dropping the frames that the monitor can't display because of this you'll often notice micro stuttering or juddering caused by those missing frames.

Is that enough or you want the in depth explanation?

Answered a lot of questions. Just a bit more benchmark videos to go but it seems freesync would be a better experience overall at 1080p. Thanks :)