[LTC] Protect&Backup your Money

As many of you know a large amount of us have poured our resources into obtaining Litecoins.it would be a shame if they were lost somehow.

Today i will show you how to backup and protect your wallet file we are using the offical Litecoin wallet

firstly ill show you how to encrypt the wallet.dat file :P as an unencrypted backup wont be good :P

so launch your Litecoin wallet and it should look like this without the padlock in the corner

LrqeoN4.png

To you eagle eyed people the padlock means that your wallet is currently encrypted and locked

so to encrypt it select the following option from Settings, your's shouldnt be grayed out :P

DLYXVXz.png

just choose a secure PASSPHRASE and make sure you dont forget it :D

Okay now to back up your wallet.

MAKE SURE YOUR FULL SYNCED BEFORE DOING THIS

theres two ways to do this :P

the easy one is to use the inbuild backup fucntion found in File >> Backup Wallet

XUT4ufG.png

Just make sure you save it somewhere safe ie on an other drive or in multiple locations

So now your like oh yeah totally easy to backup if the Litecoin client opens.......BUT MINE DOESN'T YOU %^^&*&^*&^%*

so heres how to backup your wallet file without the client

Navigate to C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Litecoin on win 7 or vista

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application data\Litecoin on win XP

Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Litecoin/ on Mac *shudder*

Navigate to ~/.litecoin/ on Linux systems eg Ubuntu *W00t!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D*

and copy this file Wallet.dat to a Safe location NOT YOUR DESKTOP !!!!

9nuOgCr.png

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Then put a copy on your NAS. Your Flash Drive. An encrypted copy on Google Drive and Sky Drive. And Make LOTS of paper wallets. Hide them in bank vaults (deposit boxes are a thing). 

Paper wallets in a deposit box are most secure. By a long shot.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Thx

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

While a wallet is still on a computer/created on a computer that was/is connected to the internet, that wallet is not "safe".

Using a password is important, but more important is offline storage.

Look into using paper wallets. By which you generate and print the public/private key to paper from a secure boot linux live disc with no internet connection.

You can purchase paper wallet kits https://safepaperwallet.com/

Or make your own by using a linux live cd and using an offline copy of https://liteaddress.org/ https://github.com/litecoin-project/liteaddress.org

Secure your wallets with as much paranoia as you want :) You are responsible for protecting your own assets, don't leave *potentially* thousands of dollars behind 5 minutes of security.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

yeah paper wallets are very secure :)

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------