Is this gtx1070 worth it?

GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls

Gpus are finally decreasing in price, but there are still a bit more pricy then they used to be.

I did find this thing though https://www.skroutz.gr/s/9394436/MSI-GeForce-GTX1070-8GB-Aero-OC-GTX-1070-AERO-8G-OC.html for just 400$ 

But then i looked for used 1070 gpus and i found this puppy https://www.skroutz.gr/s/9241728/MSI-GeForce-GTX1070-8GB-Gaming-X-GTX-1070-Gaming-X-8G.html

for 430 , and perhaps i can convince him to give it to me for 400-410 , since he only has 2 views so far...

Anyway , do they have any BIG differences or not? i dont care about aesthetics ... i only care about reliability and performance.

The latter card will perform about the same, probably a bit better, but much cooler and quieter so I would definitely say it's worth it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Neither are a good deal AT ALL, you can get a 980 ti for $300 or so pretty easily, and they are better performers.  If you have supply issues where you live/don't have a good second hand market and need to get one of these two models, get the gaming X.  It is worth the extra money as it will OC higher and give  a decent boost in temps, noise and longevity

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

Neither are a good deal AT ALL, you can get a 980 ti for $300 or so pretty easily, and they are better performers.  If you have supply issues where you live/don't have a good second hand market and need to get one of these two models, get the gaming X.  It is worth the extra money as it will OC higher and give  a decent boost in temps, noise and longevity

are you sure 980 ti is good for streaming while gaming on QHD with r7 1700 ?

1 minute ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

are you sure 980 ti is good for streaming while gaming on QHD with r7 1700 ?

Better than a 1070, 980 ti's perform about 5-10% better in DX10/11 games and about 5-10% worse in DX12 games.  Only downside is the VRAM but I'm  going to be honest, playing a solid 60FPS on 4k pretty much requires a 1080 ti if you want anything higher than medium settings

Just now, Damascus said:

Better than a 1070, 980 ti's perform about 5-10% better in DX10/11 games and about 5-10% worse in DX12 games.  Only downside is the VRAM but I'm  going to be honest, playing a solid 60FPS on 4k pretty much requires a 1080 ti if you want anything higher than medium settings

then why isnt it on the 10 generation? i always thought that anything below 1050 is worse than the 10th generation ...

Also i found a guy selling this ASUS STRIX GAMING GTX980ΤΙ 6GB for 400$ its used but its 980 ti like u said !

I still dont get the difference between the 1070 though ... amma go check some benchmarks

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

ok wtf... my whole life has been a lie... the 980 ti is better than 1070 in most games... 400$ for a used one... like damn , i might as well buy the 980 ti! only thing left is compatability , wait a sec to tell me

2 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Just get the 1070, unless you can find something cheaper locally, especially if your in Greece, fucking protectionism going crazy there.

yes i am in greece ... stupid country ! Last year the s7 edge had a small sale for 400$ mid-summer ... this Black friday 2017/25/11 it costed 500$ ... fuckng logic

then why isnt it on the 10 generation? i always thought that anything below 1050 is worse than the 10th generation ...

Also i found a guy selling this ASUS STRIX GAMING GTX980ΤΙ 6GB for 400$ its used but its 980 ti like u said !

I still dont get the difference between the 1070 though ... amma go check some benchmarks

That's a solid card, one of the best 980 ti's ever made. 

2 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

Here's how GPU generations work.  The best one of last gen is about as good as the mid-high range GPU's of the next, so on and so forth.  XX80 ti = XX70 of the next gen.

10th gen (pascal)------------------9th gen (Maxwell)----------------------7th gen (Kepler) (they came out in this order, eighth gen was mobile only)

Titan Xp/1080 ti

1080/1070 ti

1070-------------------------------------980ti/Titan Xm

1060 6gb-------------------------------980

1060 3gb-------------------------------970-------------------------------------780 ti

1050 ti----------------------------------960-------------------------------------780/770 4gb

1050-------------------------------------950 ti-----------------------------------770 2gb/760

1030-------------------------------------950-------------------------------------750 ti

4 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Just get the 1070, unless you can find something cheaper locally, especially if your in Greece, fucking protectionism going crazy there.

not only that , there is no place to buy the 980 ti officially from an actual store... only used, and who knows where they got it from

Anyway u suggest the BRAND NEW 1070 for 400$ , the used 1070 slightly better for 430$ or the used 980 ti for 400$ ... 

He says he bought the 980 ti for 900$ ... little shady considering he gives away such a device for 50%+ cheaper ...

Just now, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

He says he bought the 980 ti for 900$ ... little shady considering he gives away such a device for 50%+ cheaper ...

Not at all, that would have been the retail for it a couple years ago.  It would have cost what a STRIX 1080 ti does now.

Just now, Damascus said:

Not at all, that would have been the retail for it a couple years ago.  It would have cost what a STRIX 1080 ti does now.

so , should i contact this guy ?

so , should i contact this guy ?

IMO, yes.  That cooler is fantastic and it overclocks like a champ.  It's a bit large and noms up power (if your electricity costs a lot the 1070 takes about ~100w less) and its a performance MONSTER

Just now, Damascus said:

IMO, yes.  That cooler is fantastic and it overclocks like a champ.  It's a bit large and noms up power (if your electricity costs a lot the 1070 takes about ~100w less) and its a performance MONSTER

well yes it is a monster , which means more space , so i dont even know if its going to fit my stuff on my little 400s from phanteks ...

Maybe i should just get the new 1070 .. i mean its going to do its job and i wont need to pay more money for a psu , for a case , and for electricity bills xD i got this close (raises hand very high*) into taking the 980 ti , thank u anyway but i made my decision 

well yes it is a monster , which means more space , so i dont even know if its going to fit my stuff on my little 400s from phanteks ...

Maybe i should just get the new 1070 .. i mean its going to do its job and i wont need to pay more money for a psu , for a case , and for electricity bills xD i got this close (raises hand very high*) into taking the 980 ti , thank u anyway but i made my decision 

What is your current PSU?  Also, the 980 ti should fit the P400s, it's got plenty of space.

Finally, if you are set on a 1070 don't get the aero, they are loud, hot and it will perform a good bit worse than either the Gaming X 1070 or the strix 980 ti

Just now, Damascus said:

What is your current PSU?  Also, the 980 ti should fit the P400s, it's got plenty of space.

Finally, if you are set on a 1070 don't get the aero, they are loud, hot and it will perform a good bit worse than either the Gaming X 1070 or the strix 980 ti

man ur pain in the @ss ...( in a good way) ok ill think about it 

650w

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

can it withstand 650 or will i need 750?

man ur pain in the @ss ...( in a good way) ok ill think about it 

650w

Your PSU can handle any of them, its ~200w vs ~300w so you should be good as long as its decent quality :)  I would personally try and get both of the second hand guys to lower prices using a burner account.  offer 380 on each and see what happens (use a fresh email so you don't burn bridges)