Nintendo Switch joycon D-pad!! PLEASE NINTENDO

Gamris

future purchasable versions (sold separately) of Joycons with D-pads? heck I'll buy them!! here are links to an article touching on the subject as well as some design concept arts. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/08/soapbox_seriously_nintendo_its_time_for_a_switch_joy-con_with_a_proper_d-pad

http://nintendotoday.com/nintendo-switch-virtual-console-controller-concepts/

I personally haven't yet held a joycon, but those 4 button directional buttons don't seem as intuitive as a normal D-pad... and Nintendo KNOWS how to make proper D-pads.. and seeing as how the Nintendo switch is getting a massive library of indie games, most of which are side-scroller and would be better off using a D-pad as well as their future virtual console service, it would be so important to market a new left joycon with a unique directional pad for specific consumers, now Nintendo's solution to this is to purchase a pro controller which has a proper D-pad, however that defeats the purpose of how I plan to play the switch!, I plan to mostly play it portably, I don't want to have to sit in a certain way and stand the switch on a table or dock it just to use a pro controller, not to mention have to pay 70$ just for an unportable D-pad!!. I want to play with the whole thing in my hands while lying down.. when I get a switch in the near future I'll definitely buy those 8bitdo snes controllers, but In most occasions I think it'd be better if it was just built in to the joycon...     

VzGdtGK.jpg

I've held a joy on before, and my main issue was the low movement of the joystick. 3rd party joycons could be cool

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

TBH before I got the Switch I thought that the lack of a D-Pad would really bother me. And having it now I'd agree that the controls are generally a little bit compromised when you're playing it in portable mode vs using the Pro Controller on the TV. But the fact that it's portable and I can share the second half of the controls with a P2 more than makes up for it. And in any case I haven't really been playing that many games that really need a D-Pad anyways because the Switch's strength is that it can run games like Super Mario Odyssey and Rocket League....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

6 hours ago, skywake said:

TBH before I got the Switch I thought that the lack of a D-Pad would really bother me. And having it now I'd agree that the controls are generally a little bit compromised when you're playing it in portable mode vs using the Pro Controller on the TV. But the fact that it's portable and I can share the second half of the controls with a P2 more than makes up for it. And in any case I haven't really been playing that many games that really need a D-Pad anyways because the Switch's strength is that it can run games like Super Mario Odyssey and Rocket League....

a more convenient local multiplayer experience SHOULD not justify the compromise of the single player experience (IMHO). and besides that, regarding what you said about games you play, while I too would want to play some less D-pad oriented games like most 3D platformers or adventure games (e.g. zelda). However most of the games I play are 2D indie games, so in MY use case I'm afraid that the experience would be greatly compromised... which is why I'm reluctant about buying it, I'll probably buy it anyways if only for zelda and mario and other 3D games... just wish I could have a good 2D gaming experience as well.... which is why I hope there will be a new version of the joycon with a D-pad for those people with specific needs :)

On 11/24/2017 at 6:20 AM, Linksys120n said:

buy a pro controller.... sheesh

jbareham_170221_1475_0010.0.0.jpg

won't be so portable so to me it kinda defeats the purpose.

5 hours ago, Gamris said:

won't be so portable so to me it kinda defeats the purpose.

honestly the button Dpad is not that bad... try it first.

derp

On 11/23/2017 at 11:20 PM, Linksys120n said:

buy a pro controller.... sheesh

jbareham_170221_1475_0010.0.0.jpg

Or, get an adapter to use either a Xbox or Playstation controller (that what I am doing).  Way cheaper to boot too.  Heck, there even wireless adapters for the Switch to use other controllers.

Myself, I had no problem with the four arrow buttons.  Though, the only games I played been the Mario and Zelda game which only use those buttons as extra command buttons not directional buttons.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I use the Pro controller. Doesn't bother me carrying that around since the system isn't the most portable thing anyway compared. Doesn't fit in my pockets, so I need a bag and at that point throwing in a Pro controller (two for me) isn't a big deal at all. I find the Joycon as a single controller handy too for four player sessions, so I won't be swapping mine out for a d-pad version. But it'll be good to have the option for people who do want a traditional d-pad.

@Gamris

As I said, you've got a two player experience on the go out of the box that works. If it had a d-pad you'd be compromising in one of the key selling points of the system. Also I did say earlier that I haven't played that many 2D games on it myself but I am very much a 2D platformer sort of person. It's one of the main reasons why I'm into Nintendo in the first place. I was one of the people posting mockups like the one in your original post on other forums before launch.

But honestly? It's not that bad. Again, the Pro Controller is definitely a better controller both for the D-Pad and in general. But given what it is? The Joycon work well enough. Probably better than the 3DS if I'm being perfectly honest. Admittedly I haven't played a lot of 2D games on the system but I have played Sonic Mania and Steam World Dig 2. If I'm being honest, I'm not sure if I even thought about the fact that I wasn't using a proper d-pad for those games until this thread.

Though I do intend on getting one of those 8-Bitdo SNES controllers.....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing