Water in Galaxy S8 charging port... days ago...

Several days ago i was outside and my S8 got rained on.. for the next hour anytime i plugged it in it just said "water in charging port, please unplug." Blowing it out and leaving it unplugged for a night seemed to work until now. about 30 minutes ago i plugged it in at 1% and stayed that way for 15 minutes before dieing. now if i plug it in it just does this: I leave to houston tomorrow and don't own a wireless charger:

20171122_185154.thumb.jpg.a3936ecb6861e6498ba9cbe8def86fdd.jpg

plugging it in immediately after water damage is not a good idea, while the port may work fine for a few more days eventually it will completely die, to prevent possible port degradation or device shock. The port at this point I would assume is possible to recover, but that could be a long shot. Immediately unplug it and put it in front of a dry fan that is also properly dusted. That's all I can recommend, and if that doesn't work, I'm sorry to say this but the port will be dead because of corrosion. You will either have to RMA it or buy a wireless charger.

Just now, Sdrft1 said:

plugging it in immediately after water damage is not a good idea, while the port may work fine for a few more days eventually it will completely die, to prevent possible port degradation or device shock. The port at this point I would assume is possible to recover, but that could be a long shot. Immediately unplug it and put it in front of a dry fan that is also properly dusted. That's all I can recommend, and if that doesn't work, I'm sorry to say this but the port will be dead because of corrosion. You will either have to RMA it or buy a wireless charger.

It's been days since i dried it out. Pissed off i won't have anything while i'm in houston but at least i have insurance from Tmobile. Thanks.

Make sure its completely dried out. I had this happen to my S7 and it took 3-4 days to dry out before the sensor deactivated. Also since the water sensor was activated, you will need to re-enable fast charging if the device does decide to come back on. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

I'd only try this as a last resort, but maybe put a drip of WD-40 in the port. WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement 40. I've used it in corroded ports before and it worked wonders. I just left it in the port. My guess is that there's some corrosion left in there forming a conductive path, the WD-40 may help disolve and insulate the contacts from shorting out. Plugging in a cable several times may help as well, just leave the wd-40 in the port.

Again, I'm not responsible if this breaks anything, but I've had good luck in the past.

Best of luck :/

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I'd only try this as a last resort, but maybe put a drip of WD-40 in the port. WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement 40. I've used it in corroded ports before and it worked wonders. I just left it in the port. My guess is that there's some corrosion left in there forming a conductive path, the WD-40 may help disolve and insulate the contacts from shorting out. Plugging in a cable several times may help as well, just leave the wd-40 in the port.

Again, I'm not responsible if this breaks anything, but I've had good luck in the past.

Best of luck :/

Not sketchy at all..... Considering it happened days ago it's more likely corrosion in the port itself that's the real issue. Haven't regretted not owning a wireless charger so much.........

This is ridiculous too, just hours ago it was working just fine. not only would it charge but i could transfer files via usb AND charge a nexus 5 off of it.... 

Samsung advertises that the S8 is water resistant. you'd think it could take a little rain for 5 minutes.. False advertising from samsung.

(have tried multiple chargers fyi, just incase anyone thinks that's the issue)

2 hours ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Not sketchy at all..... Considering it happened days ago it's more likely corrosion in the port itself that's the real issue. Haven't regretted not owning a wireless charger so much.........

This is ridiculous too, just hours ago it was working just fine. not only would it charge but i could transfer files via usb AND charge a nexus 5 off of it.... 

Samsung advertises that the S8 is water resistant. you'd think it could take a little rain for 5 minutes.. False advertising from samsung.

(have tried multiple chargers fyi, just incase anyone thinks that's the issue)

Water does weird things over time. I've had stuff get wet and they worked for a week and then gave up. A 300$ graphics card being one of them. I thought it was fine, but the insides of the board was slowly corroding. Had I put something on there to correct it before it failed, I may have been able to save the card. 

It may not seem likely, but I'm still leaning on there being something in the port. 

There are probably local places you can find a wireless charger if all else fails, including an apple store, their iphone chargers are the same standard as everyone else, shockingly.

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Water does weird things over time. I've had stuff get wet and they worked for a week and then gave up. A 300$ graphics card being one of them. I thought it was fine, but the insides of the board was slowly corroding. Had I put something on there to correct it before it failed, I may have been able to save the card. 

It may not seem likely, but I'm still leaning on there being something in the port. 

There are probably places you can find a wireless charger if all else fails, including an apple store, their iphone chargers are the same standard as everyone else, shockingly.

I can get it fixed from Tmobile for cheap since i have insurance, I'm good with working on phones but i don' trust myself opening an S8.

And i about that water.. My father lost his brand new Google Pixel XL 128gb to a bad seal on a pelican case.. $1000 gone in 2 months. (he uses an LG G6 now)

2 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

I can get it fixed from Tmobile for cheap since i have insurance, I'm good with working on phones but i don' trust myself opening an S8.

And i about that water.. My father lost his brand new Google Pixel XL 128gb to a bad seal on a pelican case.. $1000 gone in 2 months. (he uses an LG G6 now)

Damn, that sucks :(

Still got the phone? I've gotten water damaged phones to work before, I'd be willing to buy it

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Damn, that sucks :(

Still got the phone? I've gotten water damaged phones to work before, I'd be willing to buy it

I still have it, but i think i'll just keep it for parts. We've taken it to a shop before, had it sonic cleaned and inspected. issue is something board level. When we got it back however the frame was scratched to hell, the amoled was cracked (not the glass), i cantget the midframe to snap all the way down and all but 6 screws were missing. But i know he has some patent related documents on their anyways so yeah....

10 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

I still have it, but i think i'll just keep it for parts. We've taken it to a shop before, had it sonic cleaned and inspected. issue is something board level. When we got it back however the frame was scratched to hell, the amoled was cracked (not the glass), i cantget the midframe to snap all the way down and all but 6 screws were missing. But i know he has some patent related documents on their anyways so yeah....

Ouch :(

Oleds crack very easy, and they simply don't do anything once a crack starts, literally just look off.