How much watts can a home power outlet able to handle?

echy

how much watts can a home power outlet able to handle?

i have a 125 amp circuit breaker. How many amps/watts can a single power outlet at my house put out? 

in my mind I'm thinking a single power outlet can put out 125 amps. Lets say i want to run a rendering machine that wants to put out 120 amps hypothetically, will the rendering machine/ single outlet have the capacity to do that?

US (120v):

15A :1800W

20A: 2400W

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

US (120v):

15A :1800W

20A: 2400W

can you share how you got these numbers?

Just now, echy said:

can you share how you got these numbers?

Watts = Amps * Volts

The US uses 120V as the standard voltage measurement, though it ranges from around 105V to 130V.

The two common 120V outlets used in homes comes in 15 amp and 20 amp varieties.

Ergo, 120v * 15A = 1800W and 120v * 20A = 2400W.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Those are the pure mathematical numbers given above.

What you have to keep in mind as well is the electric wiring itself. If it is not up to par with the power drawn on it, it may cause a fire. 

In most new homes nowadays this is no concern. But the older the building the older the wiring is and maybe not up to providing that much power over long times. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

21 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Those are the pure mathematical numbers given above.

What you have to keep in mind as well is the electric wiring itself. If it is not up to par with the power drawn on it, it may cause a fire. 

In most new homes nowadays this is no concern. But the older the building the older the wiring is and maybe not up to providing that much power over long times. 

Unless the wire itself is damaged, it's not a concern if the wire can handle it, because it can.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

42 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Unless the wire itself is damaged, it's not a concern if the wire can handle it, because it can.

Seen enough wiring in homes that couldn't... sometimes in not so drastic outcomes there are some nice black lines on the wall, where the power wiring was behind =)

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Just now, Anghammarad said:

Seen enough wiring in homes that couldn't... sometimes in not so drastic outcomes there are some nice black lines on the wall, where the power wiring was behind =)

I've demoed quite a few buildings that seen damage from electrical fires. Not once was it due to the wire itself until the wire was damaged, which only happens during construction and renovation.

My house also had a few minor electrical fires. All due to old outlets. The wiring is just fine, and my house is as it was built in the 50's, save for some drywall patches and a coat or two of paint.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

31 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

There would have to be a great deal of current running through the wire to cause such damage (as in a short), or the wiring itself is simply too thin for the demands being placed upon it.

With the exception of space heaters, are there many devices that would pull such a large current that didn't already exist some decades ago? With the general increase in efficiency, and the phase out of incandescent lighting, the demands upon the wiring should be reduced, one would think.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…