Issues with my Volta Charging Cables (WITH UPDATE)

JoshR

Hi,

First post in this forum. I thought I'd share my experience with the VOLTA Cross-device Magnetic Cable after watching the Handy tech under $100 video, unfortunately, it's not super positive.

I purchased 1x 2m Gold Charing cable with two Lightning tips $26USD and an extra 1x 2m Gold Charging cable as an extra $17USD. Totalling $43USD with $6.99USD shipping to Australia. A grand total of $49.99 or $66.95AUD. Shipping was somewhat slow, 4 business days to dispatch, then 6 more business day to arrive. Ordered on the 9th October received on the 23rd October to Australia.

I was expecting pretty high-quality cables, but haven't had an amazing experience. 

One cables magnet pulled out within the first 6 hours of receiving it (photo's below), which I was really disappointed by. I emailed volta, that took a while to get back and offered me a new cable and 2x extra tips if I paid to ship (Coupon came to a difference of $10.99USD instead of $6.99USD, but I accepted it as they were quite slow to respond).

Days before I've received the new cable I've noticed a splitting end on my second cable (Photo's below), I've today emailed them telling them about the issue, and might send them to the link of this post.

Overall the cable quality isn't there I would say, they've been really run off their feet and are having issues with packaging and customer service lead times (The updated customers in an email this week). I like the design of the cable and find it quite handy, but I wouldn't recommend myself at this stage.

--------------------------------------------------

Update on the 1st December*******

Victor from Volta contacted me on the 24th November and replaced my two cables IN PERSON! It turns out he lives in my local city within a 10-minute drive (Southport, Queensland). He apologised that the glue wasn't sufficient and said they are working hard to rectify the issues.

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2674.jpg

Ohh! I think the glue was the problem with those cables. 
I actually purchased 10 pieces of the cables for my self and I am enjoying every single one of them. 
I also used the referral thing on the website and made the money that I had initially spent on my 10 Volta cables from purchases of my friends that I had referred. 

• 1 month later...

I found Volta Cables (the Company) to be absolute wankers... (or perhaps it was just the employee I dealt with)

I ordered a 2m Cable with Micro USB tips..  Unfortunately the 2M cable only comes in the QC3.0 variety, which means on a micro USB device u can not connect the cable to the tip in any orientation, it will only work one way ...which almost negates the benefits of the cable in the 1st place.

At 1st I thought the cable was faulty and emailed Volta. 

Adedayo replied and said that is normal for QC3 cables on micro USB devices.  However this is not (or wasn't when i ordered) specified on their website. Infact if you select a 2M cable, then go to the specs, it states it works on micro usb (nothing about one way only etc)

Several emails exchanged, including me providing screenshots of their website ...including where they guarantee 100% satisfaction etc.  Not to mention there is no mention on their website of the cables not working in both orientations.

Eventually the email ended with Adedayo saying "this is not true" ..wasn't sure what he was referring to, so I twice emailed asking him to explain... nothing.

So I sent one more email "Fuck you"  ..and went on to explain how their website was misleading, and mentioned i had not received notification of a previous credit they promised me for sending another cable without packaging as promised.

I can not recommend giving these guys any money at all !!!

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

• 1 month later...

I've also encountered issues of the outer sleeving pulling away from the adapter end.

So I would recommend these guy even less now ...if that's even possible.

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

On 17/01/2018 at 11:06 AM, Deltek said:

I found Volta Cables (the Company) to be absolute wankers... (or perhaps it was just the employee I dealt with)

I ordered a 2m Cable with Micro USB tips..  Unfortunately the 2M cable only comes in the QC3.0 variety, which means on a micro USB device u can not connect the cable to the tip in any orientation, it will only work one way ...which almost negates the benefits of the cable in the 1st place.

At 1st I thought the cable was faulty and emailed Volta. 

Adedayo replied and said that is normal for QC3 cables on micro USB devices.  However this is not (or wasn't when i ordered) specified on their website. Infact if you select a 2M cable, then go to the specs, it states it works on micro usb (nothing about one way only etc)

Several emails exchanged, including me providing screenshots of their website ...including where they guarantee 100% satisfaction etc.  Not to mention there is no mention on their website of the cables not working in both orientations.

Eventually the email ended with Adedayo saying "this is not true" ..wasn't sure what he was referring to, so I twice emailed asking him to explain... nothing.

So I sent one more email "Fuck you"  ..and went on to explain how their website was misleading, and mentioned i had not received notification of a previous credit they promised me for sending another cable without packaging as promised.

I can not recommend giving these guys any money at all !!!

Hello @Deltek

My name is Adedayo Charis. I thought it would be great for me to respond to your post on behalf of Volta Charger.

I completely understand that you are not happy with this current situation, but I would like you to know that we made 90% of our product decisions based on what our customers want because of the respect we have for our users. We love money and we want to make lots of it, but we are not motivated by money. Our main motivation is to manufacture single gadgets and then use the proceeds to build schools and drinkable water in the third world nations. We will never be able to achieve this without the support and happiness of our customers. Therefore, it is compulsory and very important to serve our customers. 

Having said, that. We upgraded all our cables to support QC3.0 due to popular demand and we made sure to carry out a survey before making these changes as we knew it would affect the reversible connectivity for the micro USB devices user. 

"Due to popular demand and from the results we gathered from the Quick Charge survey, 90% of the people prefer to have their cables Fast Charge over Reversible connectivity (This only implies with Micro USB devices)". 

Please, see below images showing the updates and posts from last year showing how this decision was made. 

The only reason you received a QC3.0 non-reversible cable for your micro USB device is that you ordered an extra Volta cable and we had to make sure all the extra cables support Quick Charge 3.0 because of the USB C users, else this would cause us lots of problems. 

Again, I understand that you are unhappy with the situation and we are sorry about it. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 12.59.52 pm.png

On 10/03/2018 at 10:31 AM, Deltek said:

I've also encountered issues of the outer sleeving pulling away from the adapter end.

@Deltek
Again, we received many complaints from our customers from August 2017 and they all wanted a Fast Charging cable since most mobile phone manufacturers are now moving from micro USB to USB C (Please, see images attached). So it was important for us to give the majority of our customers what they requested for. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 12.59.41 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 12.57.49 pm.png

On 22/11/2017 at 4:15 AM, JoshR said:

Hi,

First post in this forum. I thought I'd share my experience with the VOLTA Cross-device Magnetic Cable after watching the Handy tech under $100 video, unfortunately, it's not super positive.

I purchased 1x 2m Gold Charing cable with two Lightning tips $26USD and an extra 1x 2m Gold Charging cable as an extra $17USD. Totalling $43USD with $6.99USD shipping to Australia. A grand total of $49.99 or $66.95AUD. Shipping was somewhat slow, 4 business days to dispatch, then 6 more business day to arrive. Ordered on the 9th October received on the 23rd October to Australia.

I was expecting pretty high-quality cables, but haven't had an amazing experience. 

One cables magnet pulled out within the first 6 hours of receiving it (photo's below), which I was really disappointed by. I emailed volta, that took a while to get back and offered me a new cable and 2x extra tips if I paid to ship (Coupon came to a difference of $10.99USD instead of $6.99USD, but I accepted it as they were quite slow to respond).

Days before I've received the new cable I've noticed a splitting end on my second cable (Photo's below), I've today emailed them telling them about the issue, and might send them to the link of this post.

Overall the cable quality isn't there I would say, they've been really run off their feet and are having issues with packaging and customer service lead times (The updated customers in an email this week). I like the design of the cable and find it quite handy, but I wouldn't recommend myself at this stage.

--------------------------------------------------

Update on the 1st December*******

Victor from Volta contacted me on the 24th November and replaced my two cables IN PERSON! It turns out he lives in my local city within a 10-minute drive (Southport, Queensland). He apologised that the glue wasn't sufficient and said they are working hard to rectify the issues.

IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2674.jpg

@JoshR

My name is Adedayo Charis and I am writing this on behalf of Volta Charger. 

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences we might have caused you. That was why I came in person to your place on the Gold Coast and gave you the replacements for the cables. 

Back then, we were hit with a demand that we had never expected, due to the review Linus Tech Tips made on our product. We were behind in fulfilling lots of order, we are a startup and we've never handled that sort of demands before and we were working our butts off to get many things corrected and rushed many things. We had some major issues with our fulfillment, website frontend and also our Amazon page. 

No excuses, as we should have known better, but this is business as everything that could go wrong went wrong for us back then and we are sincerely sorry, sir. 

Just now, Volta Charger said:

@JoshR

My name is Adedayo Charis and I am writing this on behalf of Volta Charger. 

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences we might have caused you. That was why I came in person to your place on the Gold Coast and gave you the replacements for the cables. 

Back then, we were hit with a demand that we had never expected, due to the review Linus Tech Tips made on our product. We were behind in fulfilling lots of order, we are a startup and we've never handled that sort of demands before and we were working our butts off to get many things corrected and rushed many things. We had some major issues with our fulfillment, website frontend and also our Amazon page. 

No excuses, as we should have known better, but this is business as everything that could go wrong went wrong for us back then and we are sincerely sorry, sir. 

Good news is that we were able to solve all the problems and we have improved greatly on the quality of our product. Thank you so very much for your support. 

On 10/03/2018 at 10:31 AM, Deltek said:

@Deltek

Finally, here is the screenshot of the device that we made: 

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 12.58.56 pm.png