Plex Server On Dell PowerEdge R415

Go to solution Solved by Sfekke,
3 minutes ago, Dittogod said:

The server is probably going to see a peak user count of about 7 simultaneous users.

Then you are indeed right about the six core Opteron.

I tried streaming to 5 users on my Plex server, worked fine until as 6 users Stream 1080p HD video. (Keep in mind without Plex my CPU was already around 37% in use on most cores)

Which means six cores should work fine for your needs.

Since my Plex server runs on my main workstation, it is never just running Plex which is abundantly clear at this point.

Glad to help ;) 

I was thinking of getting a Dell PowerEdge R415 with a six-core Opteron CPU for my Plex server.

How well will Plex run on the system? and Does Plex have support for it?

It would run great depending on how much simultaneous viewers you'd like to have.

A consumer grade quad core also works for Plex if that is anything to compare it with.

Depending on how many users want to use it, six cores will be great (I use a quad core for 2 users at the same time max)

Edited by Sfekke
Edited first sentence.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

2 hours ago, Sfekke said:

It would run great depending on how much simultaneous viewers you'd like to have.

A consumer grade quad core also works for Plex if that is anything to compare it with.

Depending on how many users want to use it, six cores will be great (I use a quad core for 2 users at the same time max)

The server is probably going to see a peak user count of about 7 simultaneous users.

3 minutes ago, Dittogod said:

Then you are indeed right about the six core Opteron.

I tried streaming to 5 users on my Plex server, worked fine until as 6 users Stream 1080p HD video. (Keep in mind without Plex my CPU was already around 37% in use on most cores)

Which means six cores should work fine for your needs.

Since my Plex server runs on my main workstation, it is never just running Plex which is abundantly clear at this point.

Glad to help ;) 

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*