Tablet for a 6 year old.

nohuevos

My parents would like to purchase a cheap tablet for my 6 year old brother to play games on for Christmas. My dad has assigned me with the task of finding one.

The maximum price they are willing to spend is $140 but they would like to stay well below that if possible.

This tablet will be used almost entirely for playing games and watching videos. Remember, it's for a 6 year old, it doesn't have to be amazing.

My dad came across this one in a Wal-Mart ad. After looking at various reviews it looked good enough and I was about to buy it but then I came across this.

Which one do you think would be better? The first has a 1.5ghz dual core cpu with a resolution of 1024 x 768 with 1gb of ram. The second one is cheaper, has a 1.5ghz quad core cpu with 1gb of ram but only has a resolution of 1024 x 600. 

I'm not a huge tablet guy so maybe they are both bad? 

Thanks for the help!

Not sure if a 6 year old kid but be bothered about the specifications or the screen resolution.

But $140 tablet for a 6 year old I'd have to advise against, I can't see the thing lasting very long

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

My parents would like to purchase a cheap tablet for my 6 year old brother to play games on for Christmas.

I wouldn't advise giving a tablet to any 6 year old.

And I would strongly suggest not buying those no-namer tablets when you can get much higher quality ones for not much more.

(They are most likely trash)

I know a six year old don't doesn't need a tablet guys! My parents would like something for him to be able to play with in the car.

Although he is 6 he is very capable of using a tablet, he steals my Ipod to play games on all of the time and can use our computer to watch youtube videos.

@sperkowsky has a tablet... if you were in that status update chat last night you will get this 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I know a six year old don't doesn't need a tablet guys! My parents would like something for him to be able to play with in the car.

Although he is 6 he is very capable of using a tablet, he steals my Ipod to play games on all of the time and can use our computer to watch youtube videos.

when I was a kid I got this

gameboy-glacier.jpg

and you would try to fit as many of the little cartridges in your pocket as possible. And then your mom washed your jeans and you were devistated that you left them all in your back pockets 

#KilledMyWife 

I wouldn't advise giving a tablet to any 6 year old.

And I would strongly suggest not buying those no-namer tablets when you can get much higher quality ones for not much more.

(They are most likely trash)

I'll assume talking you out of this choice is out of the question? Kids don't need phones/tablets, especially not 6 year olds...

Not sure if a 6 year old kid but be bothered about the specifications or the screen resolution.

But $140 tablet for a 6 year old I'd have to advise against, I can't see the thing lasting very long

this isnt answering his question stop being so old my niece is 3 and she can use my sisters iphone easy we are evolving im sure if u were 6 and saw your brother and everyone else playing games on an iphone etc u would want one and u would take care of it!

He has an entire floor to him self.

I know lol, I am still trying to get a mini fridge 

#KilledMyWife 

gameboy-glacier.jpg

and you would try to fit as many of the little cartridges in your pocket as possible. And then your mom washed your jeans and you were devistated that you left them all in your back pockets 

exactly and a tablet is this now!

He has an entire floor to him self.

Guys, stop picking on him, it was just a joke.

I know lol, I am still trying to get a mini fridge 

I'm still trying to get a computer.

No

Quote me to get a reply!

gameboy-glacier.jpg

I know, when I got a game boy advanced sp for Christmas it was the coolest thing but technology has advanced I guess. Besides a tablet is probably cheaper than the Game Boy was when it first came out, especially since you can just download free games on it.

so he is really 14? amazing... 

#KilledMyWife 

this isnt answering his question stop being so old my niece is 3 and she can use my sisters iphone easy we are evolving im sure if u were 6 and saw your brother and everyone else playing games on an iphone etc u would want one and u would take care of it!

I'm sorry that old age has battered me to death lol also I'd like to think that my 6 year old self would look after it but my 24 year old self is a little wiser I think, or I hope

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Fine. Get him a damn Gameboy Color and make him play Gold/Silver. You have a duty as an older brother to educate the kid.

Go forth and maximize profits.

original kindle fire? i dropped my from ~8 feet (loft bed) without a case and it didnt break :D

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I know, when I got a game boy advanced sp for Christmas it was the coolest thing but technology has advanced I guess. Besides a tablet is probably cheaper than the Game Boy was when it first came out, especially since you can just download free games on it.

I know, my mom got me one and then for the rest of christmas my grandparents were muttering about how ungrateful I was cause I was playing on my ps1 instead of the thing I "wanted so much" They didn't get me any games for it... what was I supposed to do with it? stare at the gameboy screen? 

#KilledMyWife 

Thanks for all of the helpful feedback guys! After reading the comments I have decided that I'll tell my dad to get him Lincoln Logs and Hot Wheels for Christmas!

(sarcasm intended)

legos.

A 6 year old doesnt need a $140 piece of tech. they dont understand money ad they will just break it. its not worth it. get the kid a set of legos or something and when hes a bit older and can understand what money is and that it doesnt come out of nowhere get him a tablet. or get him a cheap $60 tablet from biglots. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

legos.

A 6 year old doesnt need a $140 piece of tech. they dont understand money ad they will just break it. its not worth it. get the kid a set of legos or something and when hes a bit older and can understand what money is and that it doesnt come out of nowhere get him a tablet. or get him a cheap $60 tablet from biglots.

This. Buy him LEGO. It teaches creativity. I grew up on LEGO, mum never let me have a console, and only educational games on the computer until I was around 11 and discovered Galactic Civilizations.

Even though I'm busy playing BF4 and Crysis these days, I still have my LEGO Technic stuff setup in my room.

Six year olds don't need a tablet, period. We're gonna end up with a generation more emotionally and intellectually isolated than this one if we give little kids tech like this. Wait till he starts high school ffs.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Between those two, I would go with the second one. Since the first one is dual core and the second is a quad core, the second should (in theory) be a bit faster. And the resolution looks good at 10.1 inches, so squished down a bit it should look better.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Between those two, I would go with the second one. Since the first one is dual core and the second is a quad core, the second should (in theory) be a bit faster. And the resolution looks good at 10.1 inches, so squished down a bit it should look better.

Thank you for a real answer!

This. Buy him LEGO. It teaches creativity. I grew up on LEGO, mum never let me have a console, and only educational games on the computer until I was around 11 and discovered Galactic Civilizations.

Even though I'm busy playing BF4 and Crysis these days, I still have my LEGO Technic stuff setup in my room.

Six year olds don't need a tablet, period. We're gonna end up with a generation more emotionally and intellectually isolated than this one if we give little kids tech like this. Wait till he starts high school ffs.

legos also make your feet invincible to everything once you step on them a few times. you dont know pain until youve stepped on a lego

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"