Building A new PC: Should I wait?

Mandresel

Hello!

First time posting in years, it's good to be back!

Anyways, I'm looking to build a computer to replace my current one. I am flexible as to when I build it. What I'm wondering is should I just build now with the GTX 1080ti or wait until the newest GPUs release (my guess is that they will release some time this spring)

Thanks for the advice!

Volta isn’t coming out until a few more months if the release schedule over the years stays consistent.

Honestly, a 1080 Ti should serve you pretty darn well for a couple of years at 1080p/1440p.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Expecting a consumer GPU launch this spring is incredibly optimistic. The only reason I would wait right now is if you want 8th gen Intel and they are out of stock.

Space is pretty awesome.

They could be spring or q3 of next year since Amd can't compete (Least at the higher the 580 range) And since Raj is not with Intel, I am guess its going to be a minute till we hear again from team red for GPU's. If you need an upgrade, just do it, and have no regrets.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

6 minutes ago, NewHopeTech said:

Expecting a consumer GPU launch this spring is incredibly optimistic. The only reason I would wait right now is if you want 8th gen Intel and they are out of stock.

Oh man, I didn't even think about them being out of stock. RIP me I guess lol.

5 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

They could be spring or q3 of next year since Amd can't compete (Least at the higher the 580 range) And since Raj is not with Intel, I am guess its going to be a minute till we hear again from team red for GPU's. If you need an upgrade, just do it, and have no regrets.

I'm running a 670 right now. So I definitely need an upgrade.

8 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Volta isn’t coming out until a few more months if the release schedule over the years stays consistent.

Honestly, a 1080 Ti should serve you pretty darn well for a couple of years at 1080p/1440p.

Looking for 1440p gaming for sure. I know the 1080 kills it in most games which makes me want to build right now but I figured I'd ask what other's opinions were.

Thank everyone for the quick replies. I might actually be forced to wait because the out of stock 8th gen i7s. :(

Now is an okay time to buy most components... just not RAM.

I may recommend buying used, but be careful about that.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

4 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Now is an okay time to buy most components... just not RAM.

I may recommend buying used, but be careful about that.

those are all ddr3

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

those are all ddr3

*scroll down or click one of those listed on the left.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

those are all ddr3

Scroll down. I know memory is expensive af right now. With price trends moving up, I cant hold off building based on that alone. And as Imbellis said, buying used can be sketchy so I'm not looking to go down that road.

3 minutes ago, Mandresel said:

Scroll down. I know memory is expensive af right now. With price trends moving up, I cant hold off building based on that alone. And as Imbellis said, buying used can be sketchy so I'm not looking to go down that road.

RAM is pretty much the safest computer part to get used. Is there a risk? Sure. Is the risk high? Not really. Technically there's a risk I'll get killed by an elephant tonight, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Space is pretty awesome.