Question about RAID 0

KristiyanK

Hello everyone,

Currently I have an Intel 520 Series 240 GB SSD and It is proving a really good one, the problem now is that It gets full pretty fast. There is currently a sale on Intel 530 Series SSD's where I live and I was wondering whether it would be safe if I get a 530 series 240 GB ssd and pair them in RAID 0. Would that make any problems and would it be even compatible. Thanks in advance

Kris.

I don't personally recommend non identical SSD drives in RAID 0, because I have seen some strange issues arise, leading to RAID drive drop outs and failure of the array.

Even when you do have two drives that are the same make and revision, if they were not bought at the same time you much check the firmware is identical. 

RAID 0 is never safe I have run drives in different RAID configurations for years, one thing I have learnt BACK IT UP!!!!

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

I don't personally recommend non identical SSD drives in RAID 0, because I have seen some strange issues arise, leading to RAID drive drop outs and failure of the array.

Even when you do have two drives that are the same make and revision, if they were not bought at the same time you much check the firmware is identical. 

RAID 0 is never safe I have run drives in different RAID configurations for years, one thing I have learnt BACK IT UP!!!!

Thanks for the reply. I'm probably gonna go for a bigger drive and put this one in a laptop or another system. Also I was going for RAID 0 purely for the speed. I have 2 2TB hard drives which I keep all of my important documents on, as if i have any :D

I currently run two samsung 830's in RAID0 and i can confirm windows is picky with it. For a start it wont install unless you leave the defult stripe size of 64kb and sector size of 512b. but after that its great.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)