3x 2560x1440 over thunderbolt 3 on Dell XPS 9560 (2017)

agent154

I’m in the process of ordering a new dell laptop through my employer, and was keen on buying the 2017 edition of the xps until I found out just now that It supports only two pci lanes over thunderbolt. I didn’t know that some devices ran under the spec of 40gbps, so now I’m worried that my existing triple ASUS PB278Q setup can’t be used with the tb3 dock I also plan to buy.

But then I saw something about the xps having 8 DisplayPort lanes in addition to two pcie lanes, and now I’m confused. 

Can anyone confirm how many 2560x1440 monitors I can drive over tb3 on the xps 15?

I don't think the number of PCI-e lanes it has should matter for displays running from a dock. If it has 8 DisplayPort lanes than it should support basically as many as your dock can support.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

28 minutes ago, agent154 said:

I’m in the process of ordering a new dell laptop through my employer, and was keen on buying the 2017 edition of the xps until I found out just now that It supports only two pci lanes over thunderbolt. I didn’t know that some devices ran under the spec of 40gbps, so now I’m worried that my existing triple ASUS PB278Q setup can’t be used with the tb3 dock I also plan to buy.

But then I saw something about the xps having 8 DisplayPort lanes in addition to two pcie lanes, and now I’m confused. 

Can anyone confirm how many 2560x1440 monitors I can drive over tb3 on the xps 15?

8 DisplayPort lanes should be able to support up to four 2560 × 1440 monitors at 60 Hz.