Ryzen 5 or intel i5?

I’m helping my friend build a computer and he initially wanted to get a core i5 7500 but coffee lake exists so I looked into that and realized the prices were pretty insanely high for motherboards right now and cpu’s so then I looked into ryzen and the r5 1600/1500 seems like a pretty good fit as well. He mainly plays ark and other games like that so his workload is gaming. He’s coming from an fx 4100 though so anything is an upgrade really. Thanks!

if he can wait until 2018 B370 coffee lake motherboards will release which will be much cheaper.

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

6 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

so anything is an upgrade really. Thanks!

Oh yes!

6 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

realized the prices were pretty insanely high for motherboards right now

Nothing but Z270 until 2018. We will get some cheaper e.g. H270 stuff then.

I would go R5 1600.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, Fictionvl said:

if he can wait until 2018 B370 coffee lake motherboards will release which will be much cheaper.

He kind of wants to build the system like now lol. He plays ark st about 15 FPS. 

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

Oh yes!

I would go R5 1600.

Ye I wish the cheaper motherboards launches earlier :/ the r5 1600 is what I was thinking too. 

15 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Oh yes!

I would go R5 1600.

300, not 200 lol

anyway id wait, but if it has to be now probably the 1600

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

32 minutes ago, Fictionvl said:

Last time it was B360. What it'll be in december? B380?

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM