£400 Laptop for School

So I'm looking for a laptop to use for all my schoolwork. I'd like it to have:

• 1080p screen if possible (I watch movies sometimes but not a necessity)
  • An SSD, but doesn't have to be large as I only want to save word documents
  • Good battery life - At least 5 hours

But there's so many to choose from I'd like some advice that's all, 

My budget is £400 OR $500 - Any help?

Unless you go used it's going to be difficult to find laptops at the £400 price point with an SSD brand new. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Unless you go used it's going to be difficult to find laptops at the £400 price point with an SSD brand new. 

It can even be 128gb

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I found a few online with 128GB SSDs brand new I'm just not sure what to go for.

Just now, Baifish said:

I found a few online with 128GB SSDs brand new I'm just not sure what to go for.

Where did you find them? 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

My current fleet!
Zerua - Workstation - i7-6700k, 32gb DDR4, GTX1070 | Azalera - Surface Pro 4 - i7-6650U, 16gb | Sarea - FreeNAS Server - E5-2407 1.2TB RAIDZ2

I would recomend thinkpad e470. I have e460 and this is really a nice laptop. of corse, screen is not the best, but keyboard and overall experience is great. 

Just now, Filips said:

I would recomend thinkpad e470. I have e460 and this is really a nice laptop. of corse, screen is not the best, but keyboard and overall experience is great. 

You found a new Thinkpad for $500?!?! Where is this?!?!

My current fleet!
Zerua - Workstation - i7-6700k, 32gb DDR4, GTX1070 | Azalera - Surface Pro 4 - i7-6650U, 16gb | Sarea - FreeNAS Server - E5-2407 1.2TB RAIDZ2

it is a little bit more, but I am sure you could get one used for 500. at least i bought mine used w/ 16 month warranty left gor 300$

Just now, Filips said:

it is a little bit more, but I am sure you could get one used for 500. at least i bought mine used w/ 16 month warranty left gor 300$

Is the thinkpad good?

I had a quick look on eBay, I found a laptop what hits all of your requirements, the only issue is that I am not sure the screen resolution.

Price: $312.20

Make an offer is available 

HP EliteBook 840 G2 Core i5 2.30 GHz 128GB SSD 8GB Windows 10 Pro

Laptop

Just now, Baifish said:

Is the thinkpad good?

Thinkpad's are generally good, they are really popular within the business industry.

Just now, Baifish said:

Is the thinkpad good?

it is great. as long as you dont need a good screen

Just now, Baifish said:

Is the thinkpad good?

Thinkpads are solid, but Lenovo can be a bit of a sketchy company from time to time. I'd recommend formatting the drive and doing a clean windows install if you go with them.

My current fleet!

1 minute ago, Encrypt said:

I had a quick look on eBay, I found a laptop what hits all of your requirements, the only issue is that I am not sure the screen resolution.

Price: $312.20

Make an offer is available 

HP EliteBook 840 G2 Core i5 2.30 GHz 128GB SSD 8GB Windows 10 Pro

Laptop

That's 1080p, with a glossy screen.

My current fleet!

I'd recommend getting the most powerful laptop you can afford, and then picking up an SSD to put in there later. That way, you can get the full performance benefit of your budget on the fixed components, like the CPU.

In general, AMD is cheaper than Intel for performance for CPUs in laptops, so I'd go red team if possible.

My current fleet!

Just now, JohnMLTX said:

I'd recommend getting the most powerful laptop you can afford, and then picking up an SSD to put in there later. That way, you can get the full performance benefit of your budget on the fixed components, like the CPU.

In general, AMD is cheaper than Intel for performance for CPUs in laptops, so I'd go red team if possible.

Alright, cheers!

Just now, JohnMLTX said:

I would not agree with that. generally AMD has very weak laptop processors. Couple years ago I had Asus ultrabook with a8 apu and it was only good for internet and movies. It even did not run kicad fluidly.

Just now, Filips said:

I would not agree with that. generally AMD has very weak laptop processors. Couple years ago I had Asus ultrabook with a8 apu and it was only good for internet and movies. It even did not run kicad fluidly.

That's not really true much lately. An AMD FX-9800P easily keeps up with an i5-7200U while costing on average $100 less.

My current fleet!