Logitech is killing all their Harmony Link universal remotes as of March 16th 2018

Brammm

A user posted on the Logitech Community forums asking

I received an email today stating that my Harmony Link will no longer work after March 2018.  Can someone please confirm whether it will actually cease to function, or will it just no longer be supported?

A Logitech rep replied in the thread

We just updated our Harmony Link application to inform customers of this end of life.  As we previously communicated to affected customers via email, Logitech Harmony Link services and support will no longer be available to users effective on March 16, 2018.

I want to make sure those within warranty redeem their free Harmony Hub, which provides similar, if not better, app-based remote control features to Harmony Link.

For those that are out-of-warranty, we are providing a one-time discount offer for a new replacement remote from Logitech.com. I hope you will take advantage of it.

If your Harmony Link unit is still under warranty, you will apparently get a free new Harmony Hub, however if it's out of warranty, you will only be offered a 35% discount. In the Reddit discussion, the OP even claims that Logitech sold off a lot of Harmony Link devices in fire sales over the last 6 months, but only offering 3 months of warranty. This would mean that people who bought the device somewhere these last 6 months, would have a fancy brick early next year and be forced to buy a new piece of hardware at a 35% discount. If true, this seems incredibly scumbaggy of Logitech to me.

This kind of news is something that has come up more and more over the last couple of years, wether it's stuff like this or game developers shutting down multiplayer servers. We'll probably see it happen more and more as well.

Source: https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A0000745EkC/harmony-link-eos-or-eol?s1oid=00Di0000000j2Ck&OpenCommentForEdit=1&s1nid=0DB31000000Go9U&emkind=chatterCommentNotification&s1uid=0055A0000092Uwu&emtm=1510088039436&fromEmail=1&s1ext=0

Techspot article: https://www.techspot.com/news/71776-logitech-intentionally-brick-harmony-link-devices-next-year.html

BTW - God tier beard.

- @Slick in a PM once

Why do they have to brick it. The reddit thread mentions cloud stuff but the device seems like it would work without internet support. Seems like just ending support for the device is all they should be doing if they are releasing an new version. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Just now, Bensemus said:

Why do they have to brick it. The reddit thread mentions cloud stuff but the device seems like it would work without internet support. Seems like just ending support for the device is all they should be doing if they are releasing an new version. 

I had a brief look at the reviews of their Android app and those aren't super positive either. Seems like this was in the making for a while as well as I saw a review from June that said they were already pushing for another, more expensive, piece of hardware through the app back then.

It seems like a combination of corporate greed and corporate not giving a fuck about users.

BTW - God tier beard.

- @Slick in a PM once

34 minutes ago, Brammm said:

This would mean that people who bought the device somewhere these last 6 months, would have a fancy brick early next year and be forced to buy a new piece of hardware at a 35% discount. If true, this seems incredibly scumbaggy of Logitech to me.

And that would leave them open to a legal fight with all their Australian consumers, If removal of services renders a product unusable, then it by definition is no longer fit for the intended purpose. A full refund must be offered. 

EDIT: this is for a minimum of 12 months, and depending on the sale price maybe even longer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And that would leave them open to a legal fight with all their Australian consumers, If removal of services renders a product unusable, then it by definition is no longer fit for the intended purpose. A full refund must be offered. 

It probably wouldn't hold up in Europe either, as the EU requires a full two year warranty on all products.

BTW - God tier beard.

- @Slick in a PM once

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Wait, why would this brick your device exactly? I looked it up and it seems to just be an IR blaster you can control over WiFi. There should be no reason why it needs to communicate with a server on the Internet.

I never had a Logitech remote, but was interested in it.. I just never had the money and the fancy entertainment system to have 30 remotes to want me to get a universal remote.. I have a basic 1080p TV and a basic cable box... and just use box remote control the TV and the box. So, I might say crap:

From my understanding,  the remotes will still work.. but you won't be able to add/change new devices to it, or at the very least, you can add/change device, but if it newer device than the software, it might not be supported... One of the selling feature of the remote, is that you plug the remote to your PC, and via a software you say what equipment you have down to the model series, and it will configure everything for you. No code to search and programs, and hope it doesn't conflict with other things like the basic universal remote controls. So if the service is gone, you either can't do this (if it keep everything the cloud), or not support newer TV's, sound system, etc. because the models aren't listed.. so you can try your luck with different model than what you have (which will probably also work, but you lose the convenience of not breaking your head in figuring it out what work best).

Edit: It's the phone app, not the harmony remotes... so ignore what I said.

Harmony link isn't an actual remote, just a device hub which can be controlled by smartphones etc. The harmony remotes will still work fine.

1.jpg?zoom=3&resize

Bricking the device is fucking stupid and I hope the EU does something about it. This is literally a device that you buy and all of a sudden its remotely shut off for good. 

5 minutes ago, tsk said:

Harmony link isn't an actual remote, just a device hub which can be controlled by smartphones etc. The harmony remotes will still work fine.

Ah ok, so it is just the smartphone thing. Ok, so not the end of the world. Probably sold poorly.

Glad they are still making harmony remotes.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Ah ok, so it is just the smartphone thing. Ok, so not the end of the world. Probably sold poorly.

Glad they are still making harmony remotes.

Yep, I have one of those remotes, works great when you have multiple devices. 

On 11/7/2017 at 10:49 PM, Brammm said:

If your Harmony Link unit is still under warranty, you will apparently get a free new Harmony Hub, however if it's out of warranty, you will only be offered a 35% discount. In the Reddit discussion, the OP even claims that Logitech sold off a lot of Harmony Link devices in fire sales over the last 6 months, but only offering 3 months of warranty. This would mean that people who bought the device somewhere these last 6 months, would have a fancy brick early next year and be forced to buy a new piece of hardware at a 35% discount. If true, this seems incredibly scumbaggy of Logitech to me

Just as an update to this, Logitech realized to some extent the error of their ways and has since said that they will replace the Harmony Links with Harmony Hubs for free regardless of warranty status.  As for the reason on this, it is due to an encryption certificate that Logitech will not be renewing which would leave vulnerabilities in the Link system.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/after-online-outrage-logitech-will-now-replace-harmony-link-devices-for-free/

Now, all customers can get a free Harmony Hub to replace their to-be-bricked Harmony Link, regardless of warranty state. "We will reach out to you between now and March 2018 to make arrangements to replace your Link with a free Harmony Hub," Logitech's blog post details. Customers can also go to Logitech's contact page to arrange to receive a replacement device. Those who already redeemed the 35-percent discount on a Hub will be refunded the full amount paid for the replacement Hub.

Logitech decided to shut down all Harmony Link systems because it would not renew a technology certificate license that expires in March 2018. We now know that's an encryption certificate that, if not renewed, could leave vulnerabilities in the Link system. The Harmony Link lets users control home entertainment devices, including TVs, stereos, VCRs, and BlueRay players, through a companion mobile app. The Harmony Hub appears to be the more advanced version of the Link, letting users control home entertainment devices in addition other smart home devices—like lightbulbs, cameras, and more—through the companion app.

9 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

Just as an update to this, Logitech realized to some extent the error of their ways and has since said that they will replace the Harmony Links with Harmony Hubs for free regardless of warranty status.  As for the reason on this, it is due to an encryption certificate that Logitech will not be renewing which would leave vulnerabilities in the Link system.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/after-online-outrage-logitech-will-now-replace-harmony-link-devices-for-free/

I assume this is probably from the legal department telling them this is a bad idea.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide