I hope the iPhone X does not sell well

avg123
Go to solution Solved by Aytex,
Just now, avg123 said:

It can happen!

Same thing with someone forcefully taking your hand, wanting to unlock your phone with your finger. No one Actually does it. 

If the iPhone X has some kind of record sales, Apple will not bother bringing touchID back.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

FaceID is bound to improve, and probably by a lot if it makes a second arrival.

The thing about faceID is I have no control when to unlock it.

In touchID I am touching the sensor when I unlock it. I can have it in my hand, infront of my face and not have it unlocked.

In faceID, just having the phone in front of my face will unlock it, even if I dont want to unlock it. Someone can just snatch it from my hand while it is unlocked as it is infront of my face.

1 minute ago, avg123 said:

The thing about faceID is I have no control when to unlock it.

In touchID I am touching the sensor when I unlock it. I can have it in my hand, infront of my face and not have it unlocked.

In faceID, just having the phone in front of my face will unlock it, even if I dont want to unlock it. Someone can just snatch it from my hand while it is unlocked as it is infront of my face.

In your every day Life someone snatches your phone and tries to unlock using your phone? Wew lad

Just now, Aytex said:

In your every day Life someone snatches your phone and tries to unlock using your phone? Wew lad

It can happen!

2 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Someone can just snatch it from my hand while it is unlocked as it is infront of my face.

First is they can do that when your iphone 8 is unlocked. Not at all to do with face ID

Second, why would you be holding your phone up to your face if you didnt want it to unlock?

It can become unlocked even if It is just sitting on the table infront of me. Or someone can just hold the phone infront of my face and unlock it

Just now, avg123 said:

It can become unlocked even if It is just sitting on the table infront of me. Or someone can just hold the phone infront of my face and unlock it

No its only unlock if you tap the screen of press the power button and are withing the 30 degree cone. You are acting like its always unlocked. 

I hope it fails so they give up the ridiculous pricing, not for touchid. But it won't happen.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Same thing with someone forcefully taking your hand, wanting to unlock your phone with your finger. No one Actually does it. 

It is a lot easier to hold a phone infront of my face for a slit secondto unlock it than to physically put my finger on a touchID.

8 minutes ago, avg123 said:

It is a lot easier to hold a phone infront of my face for a slit secondto unlock it than to physically put my finger on a touchID.

If some unscrupulous criminal gets a hold of you physically, they can get you to unlock the phone, period. Touch id or not, they can just force you to give up your password. The point of security features is to prevent them to accessing your phone if they steal it, not if they kidnap you.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

you have to make eye contact with the sensor as well, so it's not just in front of your face. if you close your eyes or look away it won't unlock either.

39 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

FaceID is bound to improve, and probably by a lot if it makes a second arrival.

I am curious to see how secure Samsung's iris scanner is compared to Apple's FaceID, it looks like identical twins or even triplets can trip up FaceID but I'm curious to see if Samsung's iris scanner is any better.

But agreed, FaceID if Apple sticks with it will get better in time.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

If you don't like it, don't use it.  I don't like the idea of unlocking my phone with my fingerprint, so I never enabled that and use a PIN instead. 

Sure, it sucks if you can't use a method which you prefer anymore because they removed the hardware.  You can always vote with your wallet and move to Android.

Keep wishing pal.

It’s an iPhone and the biggest redesign in years. A lot of people are going to buy it and Apple will make a ton.

Will Apple release a flop? Someday but not today.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

53 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Close your eyes then.  It won't unlock unless you're looking directly at it with your eyes open.  The reality is that it's way easier to unlock a phone with your fingerprint than with face ID.

Even if Face ID was a total failure, Apple wouldn't bring back touch ID.  That would mean admitting they made a mistake, and as a rule, companies don't do that.  You'll find some very rare exceptions (Microsoft with the Start Menu or Samsung with the micro SD slot), but those are a million to one.  Apple wouldn't even accept responsibility for touch disease.  They're not going to go back on  a decision like this.

23 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I am curious to see how secure Samsung's iris scanner is compared to Apple's FaceID, it looks like identical twins or even triplets can trip up FaceID but I'm curious to see if Samsung's iris scanner is any better.

It only took a few weeks before it was hacked.  And not even hacked, just fooled:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/23/15680268/hacker-galaxy-s8-iris-scanner-ir-image-contact-lens-starbug

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

52 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I hope it fails so they give up the ridiculous pricing, not for touchid. But it won't happen.

I expect the X's pricing to be purely a first gen product thing, I expect the Xs or whatever comes next to be cheaper. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Close your eyes then.  It won't unlock unless you're looking directly at it with your eyes open.  The reality is that it's way easier to unlock a phone with your fingerprint than with face ID.

Even if Face ID was a total failure, Apple wouldn't bring back touch ID.  That would mean admitting they made a mistake, and as a rule, companies don't do that.  You'll find some very rare exceptions (Microsoft with the Start Menu or Samsung with the micro SD slot), but those are a million to one.  Apple wouldn't even accept responsibility for touch disease.  They're not going to go back on  a decision like this.

Apple did do a 180 before.

Remember the 3rd-generation iPod Shuffle? The one with no buttons? You needed a dongle if you wanted to use other headphones with it or the iPod wouldn’t even work.

The successor brought back the buttons on the player.

It’s super-rare for Apple to do this and it is extremely unlikely they’ll bring back TouchID and relegate FaceID to the background unless consumers really hate it (unlikely as well despite the usual early teething issues)m but they have done so before.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It only took a few weeks before it was hacked.  And not even hacked, just fooled:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/23/15680268/hacker-galaxy-s8-iris-scanner-ir-image-contact-lens-starbug

Ah, I thought that they had fooled Samsung's face recognition not the iris scanner. Well. I see then.

Just now, wcreek said:

Ah, I thought that they had fooled Samsung's face recognition not the iris scanner. Well. I see then.

They fooled both.

Honestly, if you wanna try, you can fool biometric security. But these things are not what you’ll encounter in the real-world.

If you want security, use a well-thought out passcode. Biometrics on phones are more for convenience with reasonably high levels of security for general use.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I expect the X's pricing to be purely a first gen product thing, I expect the Xs or whatever comes next to be cheaper. 

I hope so, but it seems to me they are moving towards having an "ultra premium" line, along with Samsung and Google. Flagship prices have been steadily rising with time even though the appreciable differences with lower end phones are less and less apparent, and if the X is a success (or rather, when the X is definitively proven to be a success) I fear they'll just anowledge that consumers are ok with it and will push it to new heights. Perhaps next year we will indeed have only one iphone (and the "plus" version), but it may start at 900$ or 1000$.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

They fooled both.

Honestly, if you wanna try, you can fool biometric security. But these things are not what you’ll encounter in the real-world.

If you want security, use a well-thought out passcode. Biometrics on phones are more for convenience with reasonably high levels of security for general use.

I mean if you want security generating a password like this

HX5TLZ3iGDmQ8fhgdu41HTtM6RO04pA4jfr6ZBIePyZDrDjj6YaxYoATA

from LastPass or some other password generator but it's not practical for a phone. But yeah I agree.

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Apple did do a 180 before.

Remember the 3rd-generation iPod Shuffle? The one with no buttons? You needed a dongle if you wanted to use other headphones with it or the iPod wouldn’t even work.

The successor brought back the buttons on the player.

It’s super-rare for Apple to do this and it is extremely unlikely they’ll bring back TouchID and relegate FaceID to the background unless consumers really hate it (unlikely as well despite the usual early teething issues)m but they have done so before.

I didn't know about that, since I never kept up with the iPod Shuffle.  Those were back in my "I hate everything to do with Apple and won't even consider it" days. I try to be more objective now, even though I don't really buy their products.  For example, I think the iPhone X is really cool (especially the high refresh rate), but the notch would drive me insane.  I see the value of their simple interface, but it doesn't offer the customization I want.

I have to say, Apple had some serious sale skills.  Only they could have sold a music player with no screen, no expandable storage, no radio, and no recorder, all for more money than competing products.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440