qx6700, q8400, or other?

Hello all. I'm currently building an lga 775 system. Which processor should I go with? I found a qx6700 for $26 and a q8400 for $11. Which one should I go for, or is there another option that's even better? thanks

xeon -> 771 to 775 pin mod

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

For around $65 you could get a QX9650, which can be overclocked to 4ghz if you have a decent LGA775 board.

1 minute ago, gr82banautiger said:

For around $65 you could get a QX9650, which can be overclocked to 4ghz if you have a decent LGA775 board.

that's $40-$50 extra for a small performance gain. Ghz isn't everything dude.

Was just a thought/suggestion since you were looking at those two processors.  As for the $40, it would depend on what you were trying to do with the rig as to whether it would be worth it or not.

which board do you have?

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

4 hours ago, nickgibboni1 said:

Hello all. I'm currently building an lga 775 system. Which processor should I go with? I found a qx6700 for $26 and a q8400 for $11. Which one should I go for, or is there another option that's even better? thanks

I just bought a q9500 to upgrade a friends old pentium d 830 system.

I don’t know if that helps, but I think I made the right choice. I doubt the extra 2mb of cache justifies more than double the price.

Just now, Ground said:

which board do you have?

asus p5ql-vm do      I already decided to go with the q8400. It was only $12 so if a different one is absolutely worth it, I will get a different cpu and save the 8400 for a different project. What's your suggestion?