Idling temps up to 50s on my 1800x

Yesterday as I was gaming my CPU shut off the computer. I've been noticing temps hovering around 70 when I'm gaming at full load and I had it oced to 3.9 with a MINUS offset and it was running stable prior to that.

Now I'm in BIOS just looking at the CPU temps there and it says 42 while doing nothing else but run the UEFI. It's at stock now but the voltage is on auto and goes from 1.220 with spikes up to 1.4xx and sometimes over 1.5.

What should I do?  Is there a stock voltage that the chips run on? Cause 1.5 is high even though it's just a spike for a second.

Specs:
1800x

ROG Crosshair VI Hero

Noctua U12S

Corsair RMx 750

S340 Elite

Thinking about getting the Kraken x62

2 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

Yesterday as I was gaming my CPU shut off the computer. I've been noticing temps hovering around 70 when I'm gaming at full load and I had it oced to 3.9 with a MINUS offset and it was running stable prior to that.

Now I'm in BIOS just looking at the CPU temps there and it says 42 while doing nothing else but run the UEFI. It's at stock now but the voltage is on auto and goes from 1.220 with spikes up to 1.4xx and sometimes over 1.5.

What should I do?  Is there a stock voltage that the chips run on? Cause 1.5 is high even though it's just a spike for a second.

Specs:
1800x

ROG Crosshair VI Hero

Noctua U12S

Corsair RMx 750

S340 Elite

Thinking about getting the Kraken x62

1.5 is dangerously high voltage. Manually tune it to 1.3 and leave the thing at 3.9 GHz or something.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, akb8812 said:

Your temps in the bios will be higher than in Windows due to Windows' power saving features lowering the voltage/frequency at idle. I've never watched my voltage in the bios (not even sure if my cheap board allows it), but in Windows, at Stock settings, the voltage will fluctuate higher due to Ryzen's Precision Boost and XFR boosting the frequency/voltage. 1.5 does seem rather high, though. If you've manually overclocked the CPU, you'll want to make sure to disable the bios option Core Performance Boost as that controls Precision Boost and XFR.

Keep an eye on your temperatures with something like HWiNFO64 or HWMonitor. Focus on the Tdie or Package temperature, as that's the one Ryzen users pay attention to.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Ryzen XFR really loves cranking up the voltage, I keep mine to 1.4-1.45V, which is high, but stable (for now).

Space is pretty awesome.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

1.5 is dangerously high voltage. Manually tune it to 1.3 and leave the thing at 3.9 GHz or something.

Yeah I Know, that's why I'm worried about it spiking lol.

9 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

It's at stock now but the voltage is on auto and goes from 1.220 with spikes up to 1.4xx and sometimes over 1.5

Never leave it on auto voltage i dont know why this  option exists when it works so shitty and applies too much voltage at any time oc or not. Just an example my OC 6600k@4,4 GHZ runs at 1.25 volt on auto it was set to 1,45 at stock speeds.

1 minute ago, johndms said:

Your temps in the bios will be higher than in Windows due to Windows' power saving features lowering the voltage/frequency at idle. I've never watched my voltage in the bios (not even sure if my cheap board allows it), but in Windows, at Stock settings, the voltage will fluctuate higher due to Ryzen's Precision Boost and XFR boosting the frequency/voltage. 1.5 does seem rather high, though. If you've manually overclocked the CPU, you'll want to make sure to disable the bios option Core Performance Boost as that controls Precision Boost and XFR.

Keep an eye on your temperatures with something like HWiNFO64 or HWMonitor. Focus on the Tdie or Package temperature, as that's the one Ryzen users pay attention to.

It was a manual OC tried for 4 at 1.35 but it was a no. Changed to offset and put it at -0.00957 or something to that effect and it ran stable until it crashed mid game from too much heat according to the prompt that appeared during POST.

I'm runnin HWiNFO and it shows CPU (Tctl) 62 spiked to 73 and CPU (Tdie) 42.3

3 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

It was a manual OC tried for 4 at 1.35 but it was a no

Well, you won't be doing 4GHz at 1.35v. You'll probably need at least 1.4+ for that, not to mention some LLC settings to counter vdroop.

Core Performance Boost may need to be disabled to keep the voltage from spiking higher. XFR, as already mentioned, really likes to bump up the voltage. Afterwards, you may not need the negative offset.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

I had LLC on Auto, tried it at 4 which did nothing.

Decided to put in the same config I had yesterday, with the offset the same and with CPB off. Gonna run AIDA for a bit and see what happens

As long as you avoid the highest settings, LLC can be helpful. Extreme LLC is likely to cause damage.

3 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

Decided to put in the same config I had yesterday, with the offset the same and with CPB off. Gonna run AIDA for a bit and see what happens

On my board, and maybe yours.. Aida64 gives me the option to monitor "CPU Diode" in addition to "CPU" temperature. The Diode temp corresponds to Tdie/package. As long as it doesn't go above 80c, I usually consider that safe. I think maximum for Ryzen is 95c.

1 minute ago, johndms said:

As long as you avoid the highest settings, LLC can be helpful. Extreme LLC is likely to cause damage.

On my board, and maybe yours.. Aida64 gives me the option to monitor "CPU Diode" in addition to "CPU" temperature. The Diode temp corresponds to Tdie/package. As long as it doesn't go above 80c, I usually consider that safe. I think maximum for Ryzen is 95c.

That's strange cause there is NO WAY it exceeded 95c during gaming. I put the original OC through numerous stress test with one AVX test that barely passed 75, 80 absolute tops.

That's strange cause there is NO WAY it exceeded 95c during gaming. I put the original OC through numerous stress test with one AVX test that barely passed 75, 80 absolute tops.

Yeah, it does sound odd that it'd shut off, but perhaps the voltage spiked to a dangerous level, even briefly may have caused the CPU to panic. I'm grasping for straws there, but your temps seem fine. Gaming may have caused the GPU to add additional heat to the equation, though, but I doubt enough to cause a shutdown, unless the GPU temp reached unsafe levels.

30 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

Have you tried forcing 1.3V and stock clocks? If you want to run it at 4 GHz your best bet is putting the LLC settings on the most aggressive ones, setting DRAM voltage at 1.35V, setting VRIN voltage to 1.1V and setting core voltage to 1.4V. A Noctua U12S might struggle for 1.4V though, so I'd try for 3.9GHz at 1.35V.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Have you tried forcing 1.3V and stock clocks? If you want to run it at 4 GHz your best bet is putting the LLC settings on the most aggressive ones, setting DRAM voltage at 1.35V, setting VRIN voltage to 1.1V and setting core voltage to 1.4V. A Noctua U12S might struggle for 1.4V though, so I'd try for 3.9GHz at 1.35V.

Yeah I think I'll dial in 1.3 on stock and see what happens.  Then try 3.9 at 1.35. It just crashed now on AIDA with the settings I mentioned beforehand

Lower voltage, NH-U12S won't hold up.

1800X at such overclocks has 120W or so TDP, NH-U12S is rated for 140W with 2 NF-F12 fans.

Use LLC level 2 and manual voltage in BIOS.

-X chips run at higher voltage (hence the higher TDP). 

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Yeah that's what I'm going for. A lower voltage. It's now on 1.3 and stock speeds.

CPU (Tdie) is at 64C after 90 minutes of AIDA and CPU (Tctl) is at 84

20 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

Yeah that's what I'm going for. A lower voltage. It's now on 1.3 and stock speeds.

CPU (Tdie) is at 64C after 90 minutes of AIDA and CPU (Tctl) is at 84

Focus on Tdie, I believe Tctl may include the +20c offset applied by AMD to X series Ryzen.

Edit: Now that it seems you have things under control regarding temps and voltage, you may want to consider using Unigine Valley as a way to 'force' a problem to occur since it simulates a gaming environment; heavy GPU usage and moderate CPU usage. Maybe do it in windowed mode with HWiNFO open to monitor things. Don't benchmark it, just let it run on a loop so things heat up nicely.

Makes sense since the Tctl is always exactly 20c over the Tdie.

I see you have the same cooler as me but a less power hungry CPU but your temps are 30c idle? Maybe the Noctua is struggling with the 1800x even when idling. Been meaning to order the Kraken from NZXT for a while so maybe it's time for that now.

23 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

I see you have the same cooler as me but a less power hungry CPU but your temps are 30c idle? Maybe the Noctua is struggling with the 1800x even when idling. Been meaning to order the Kraken from NZXT for a while so maybe it's time for that now.

I do like my cooler, it's performance was better than I expected. I do have six 140mm case fans, three intake and three exhaust with fairly cool ambient temps. The CPU fan sits at around 45% at idle.. can't hear it.

What are your idle temps in Windows? I checked my bios Monitor tab and after about five minutes my CPU temp reached 42.3, but I do idle around 29 to 30 in Windows. The only settings I changed when overclocking was disabling Cool'n'Quiet and Core Performance Boost. I left the C6 Mode, and Global C-State Control at Auto (Enabled I assume). I use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan, but I'm not sure if that'll affect temperatures. I also use SpeedFan to manually set my own curve. Maybe your CPU fan needs to step up its game? That's the only things I can think of that would impact my temperatures.

I have 2 120mm exhaust, rear and top and two 140mm intakes all from Noctua on a Standard fan speed configured in BIOS.

It's hard to determine true idling right now cause I just finished a Heaven run where it topped out at around 63ish. But now after a few minutes of only running browser and HWINFO but it seems to be going from between 43c to 52c. It might just be that the fans aren't spinning fast enough but I don't want them loud lol.

I always used to use Speedfan but it hasn't detected any of my fans on my last 3 systems.