Ryzen no POST, LED on DRAM

RyeIII
Go to solution Solved by RyeIII,

Update guys, its not a dead board,i tried with a different ram (slower one).it post!!it justs needs a bios update

hi guys,Im just building my ryzen system, it won't post motherboard has power all fans are spinning no beeping sound just orange LED on dram.

specs are

ryzen 5 1600

Asus Strix b350f

HyperX 8x2 2600mhz RAM

gtx 1050ti

thank you!

Ryzen  5 3600 | ASUS Strix B450i Strix | G-Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3200mhz

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb | NZXT H200i | NZXT x52 | Corsair RM650x

take out cmos battery, wait for 10 seconds, put it back in, try it then

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Try booting in with one stick, in the DIMM your motherboard manual tells you to fill first.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Try booting in with one stick, in the DIMM your motherboard manual tells you to fill first.

tried this already, no luck

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb | NZXT H200i | NZXT x52 | Corsair RM650x

Just now, RyeIII said:

tried this already, no luck

Try with the other stick too, to be sure, but it sounds like you got dead memory. 

If I were you, I would try just all dimm slots just to be sure 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, RyeIII said:

hi guys,Im just building my ryzen system, it won't post motherboard has power all fans are spinning no beeping sound just orange LED on dram.

Double check ram are in the correct slots. On your board, they'll be labeled DIMM_A2 and _B2. Many Ryzen boards take several minutes before the first POST. If everything powers up with monitor plugged to GPU, give it up to 10 minutes before trying something else.

If you do get into the bios, update to the most recent bios release as they tend to improve system stability and memory compatibility.

a2b2.png.3303600174772a849d2e746ec5556238.png

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

1 minute ago, johndms said:

Double check ram are in the correct slots. On your board, they'll be labeled DIMM_A2 and _B2. Many Ryzen boards take several minutes before the first POST. If everything powers up with monitor plugged to GPU, give it up to 10 minutes before trying something else.

If you do get into the bios, update to the most recent bios release as they tend to improve system stability and memory compatibility.

a2b2.png.3303600174772a849d2e746ec5556238.png

how can i update the bios with no post?

Just now, RyeIII said:

how can i update the bios with no post?

I said IF.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

24 minutes ago, RyeIII said:

How long are you letting the system run before you turn it off again?  Ryzen sometimes has extremely long post times especially the first time you fire it up.  I would let it sit there a minute or two powered up to see if it posts.

It has been said a few times, but just for good measure

First boot ryzen can take upwards to 5 mins 

Let's agree to disagree

8 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

How long are you letting the system run before you turn it off again?  Ryzen sometimes has extremely long post times especially the first time you fire it up.  I would let it sit there a minute or two powered up to see if it posts.

1 minute ago, MrTiC said:

It has been said a few times, but just for good measure

First boot ryzen can take upwards to 5 mins 

thanks,been trying this now, i hope it will work 

Have you tried reseating the ram yet? If that doesn't work, try using 1 stick in every slot, and reseat the CPU.

If it bootloops, use 1 stick of ram and wait for it to turn off and on by itself 5 times, then it should be able to go to the BIOS.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

waiting doesn't do the trick, the orange led on dram is still bright as af 

41 minutes ago, RyeIII said:

Me and you have pretty much same problem with our ryzen systems looks like. Interesting

2 hours ago, RyeIII said:

I've been doing some Google searches and I'm not having much luck. I'm trying to figure out of the orange light indicates an error, or that the dram simply has power and is functioning correctly. I think there should be a light indicating the CPU is working, but I can't verify it on any web site.

If you can go through the usual troubleshooting steps, excluding ram, it may yield results. Remove and re-seat the GPU. Double check all PSU connections, including the 8-pin PSU connector tucked away at the top-left corner. Try doing all this with the board outside of the case, on the box the board came in (preferably with an anti-static wrist strap). If nothing seems to work, try removing the CPU and re-inserting it, applying fresh thermal paste. I left that one for last.

Before any of that though, I just thought of something else.. even though you've never been in the bios yet, it may help to clear the cmos using the jumpers, instead of the battery method. It couldn't hurt to follow the correct procedure directly from your board's manual. I'll link a picture of the page. Note the additional note at the bottom.

b350f-cmos.png.6a60d2f3350210d7fe82498da9d5e50f.png

7 hours ago, johndms said:

I've been doing some Google searches and I'm not having much luck. I'm trying to figure out of the orange light indicates an error, or that the dram simply has power and is functioning correctly. I think there should be a light indicating the CPU is working, but I can't verify it on any web site.

If you can go through the usual troubleshooting steps, excluding ram, it may yield results. Remove and re-seat the GPU. Double check all PSU connections, including the 8-pin PSU connector tucked away at the top-left corner. Try doing all this with the board outside of the case, on the box the board came in (preferably with an anti-static wrist strap). If nothing seems to work, try removing the CPU and re-inserting it, applying fresh thermal paste. I left that one for last.

Before any of that though, I just thought of something else.. even though you've never been in the bios yet, it may help to clear the cmos using the jumpers, instead of the battery method. It couldn't hurt to follow the correct procedure directly from your board's manual. I'll link a picture of the page. Note the additional note at the bottom.

thank you for your help,but i think i have a dead motherboard or ram,tried to boot without ram and it has the same response as it is with the ram

Update guys, its not a dead board,i tried with a different ram (slower one).it post!!it justs needs a bios update

• 3 months later...
On 6/11/2017 at 4:11 AM, RyeIII said:

Hi, the different ram .. is

Different HZ?

Different GB?

Different brand?

Thanks!