Does samsung waranty expire if???

Bwithnewcast

I have a samsung galaxy s8 and i know its ip68 water proof in 1,5 m depth at 30 minutes. If you follow that rule, does waranty get voided?

Legally speaking, with UK law at least, no. They are advertising it can and so you are able to do that and if it gets broken you can sue them for false advertising. That being said, would you want to try it?

Edited by Sam.
New reason

Another one

Thanks for reading, if I got something wrong, please let me know by replying to this comment.

Want to see more tech and photography opinions from me? Here's a convenient link ;):

Sorry, the website is still being set up. I'll try to get it finished as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Waterdamage is not covered by Samsung's warranty. 

It's important to note that the S8 is water resistant, not water proof.

I said water proof, but if i follow the conditions they say, and it gets broken, who should i blame then?

Waterdamage is not covered by Samsung's warranty. 

They should stress this fact in their warranty. The amount of people who think their phone is waterproof when it is not is a bit irritating sometimes.

Another one

Thanks for reading, if I got something wrong, please let me know by replying to this comment.

Want to see more tech and photography opinions from me? Here's a convenient link ;):

Sorry, the website is still being set up. I'll try to get it finished as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Just now, Bwithnewcast said:

I said water proof, but if i follow the conditions they say, and it gets broken, who should i blame then?

It is waterproof to a certain extent, so really it is only water resistant. They advertise it is water resistant so if you do what they say, the warranty is safe.

Another one

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

You, it's your fault it was underwater. 

Nowhere in Samsung's advertising or documentation does it say the phone is immune to water damage, it just says it has a certain rating for water resistance. There's no way for Samsung to know if the water damage was caused by things that the IP rating should be able to protect against or if it was through being too deep, in too long or through pressured water. 

8 minutes ago, Sam. said:

They should stress this fact in their warranty. The amount of people who think their phone is waterproof when it is not is a bit irritating sometimes.

They do say water resistant, and it's explicitly stated in the warranty that water damage is not covered. 

7 minutes ago, Sam. said:

It is waterproof to a certain extent, so really it is only water resistant. They advertise it is water resistant so if you do what they say, the warranty is safe.

No, that's not how it works. Water damage is explicitly NOT covered under warranty. Saying that you only did what they said it should cope with isn't going to fly and you'd be down one S8. 

EDIT: Unless you have their Premium Care Cover. Then pretty much everything is covered, including water damage. The standard warranty doesn't cover water damage from what I understand. 

Believe me, if you have to ask about a warranty aspect, chances are it's already covered in minutely fine print written in legal boilerplate.  Dig out a magnifying glass and try to stay awake.  That being said, My LG phone is also IP68 resistant and the warranty doesn't cover water damage.

18 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Waterdamage is not covered by Samsung's warranty. (it's basically not covered by any electronics manufacturer) 

Doesn't matter what Samsung's terms are, the mandatory EU warranty supersedes it. If they advertise IP68 rating and the device fails under conditions within the limits of an IP68 rating, they have to honor the warranty. Well technically it would be the retailer that was liable, but it makes no difference to the customer.

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Doesn't matter what Samsung's terms are, the mandatory EU warranty supersedes it. If they advertise IP68 rating and the device fails under conditions within the limits of an IP68 rating, they have to honor the warranty. Well technically it would be the retailer that was liable, but it makes no difference to the customer.

I wish we had as many consumer protections in the US as the EU does. :: shrug ::

Just now, PineyCreek said:

I wish we had as many consumer protections in the US as the EU does. :: shrug ::

Aka i live in europe, so :D

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung tries to counter it with asking people to prove how the damage was caused. 

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Don't worry, the UK seems desperate to get rid of them, so us in the UK be in a similar boat then. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung tries to counter it with asking people to prove how the damage was caused.

The burden of proof is on the retailer. Samsung is not actually a party to the case at all, since the EU warranty is between the retailer and the customer.

Water damage is not covered by warranty.

Sure, you see the ads showing people drop their S8 in the sink or the pool, but the fine print states that the phone is not waterproof

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The water proof/resistance thing is more to do with minor accidents, rain or potentially shower use, and not necessarily taking the phone on a scuba dive.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…