iFixit teardown shows iPhone X has 2 battery cells in it despite having worse battery life than 8+

AlTech

OLEDs use more power than LCDs if most of what is being displayed is white. iOS (and even Android at this point) predominantly use white elements throughout their UI. Couple that with the larger display surface area and the battery capacity increase is offset by the higher power consumption.

I don't think resolution has much to play with this.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Makes me wonder if they are gonna start stacking CPU chips after they hit the limit of die shrinking

9 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

I think silicon stacking such as HBM is going to be the next big thing, especially in the low power market. And further down the line maybe even the enterprise Market, imagine a 256 core, 1.5ghz x86 processor with cooling baked right into the layers! Or a similar ARM based system! 

Heat become an issue if you were to stack processors. HBM doesn't produce heat like a processor would. However it may become feasible if something like this comes to market.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

OLEDs use more power than LCDs if most of what is being displayed is white. iOS (and even Android at this point) predominantly use white elements throughout their UI. Couple that with the larger display surface area and the battery capacity increase is offset by the higher power consumption.

I don't think resolution has much to play with this.

Actually modern OLED should have pretty similar numbers to LCD when displaying white. At least from the figures I recall seeing. Of course it's still preferable to go for a dark UI.

I'd wager the efficiency goes down the toilet if you're standing outside and the brightness starts to go into overdrive but indoors? Shouldn't be that bad.

Just now, Trixanity said:

Actually modern OLED should have pretty similar numbers to LCD when displaying white. At least from the figures I recall seeing. Of course it's still preferable to go for a dark UI.

I'd wager the efficiency goes down the toilet if you're standing outside and the brightness starts to go into overdrive but indoors? Shouldn't be that bad.

True, although I would have liked to see Apple and Google actually taking advantage of OLED's potential power sipping benefits by going with a dark UI.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

True, although I would have liked to see Apple and Google actually taking advantage of OLED's potential power sipping benefits by going with a dark UI.

Oh certainly but form over function you know. They'd rather that the UI looks 'pretty' than you getting 2 hours more screen on time.

23 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Oh certainly but form over function you know. They'd rather that the UI looks 'pretty' than you getting 2 hours more screen on time.

Yep, although I feel that dark UIs actually look more sophisticated.

Which, IMO, better fits these new bezel-less designs.

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Heat become an issue if you were to stack processors. HBM doesn't produce heat like a processor would. However it may become feasible if something like this comes to market.

Yeah, this is what I meant by cooling baked right into the chips! Sorry I should have been more specific but I didn't actually knot anyone had been tested it, was just a crazy idea I have floating in my head. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Is it just me, who has never really seen a phone teardown, or is that A11 freaking huge? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

In this case, I find iFixit way too generous in their repairability rating. 6/10 for non-repairable back glass, and a sandwich-soldered logic board? Those are 2 of the 3 common repairs to be expected (the other being the front screen). 

PC 0: Pinky 2.0

Ryzen 9 5950x — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 5 @3600Mhz CL14-13-13-28-288 — ROG Crosshair 8 Dark Hero — RX 6900 XT — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB — Samsung PM961 1TB  WD Blue 4TB HDD — Corsair AX1500i — Thermaltake Core P5 

PC 1: Pinky (Yes that is her name) Here's the build

Xeon E5-1680V3 — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Samsung 950Pro 512GB — Seagate 2TB HDD — Corsair RM1000 — Thermaltake Core P5

PC 1.1: Pinky (Mom Edition) Here's the build

i7-5960X — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 3 1TB — Samsung Q 870 Evo 4TB — Corsair HX850i — InWin S-Frame #190

PC 2: Red Box/Scarlet Overkill (Dual Xeon)

Xeon E5-2687W x2 — 96GB Kingston DDR3 ECC REG @1333Mhz — EVGA Classified SR-X Dual CPU — GTX 1070 SLI (2-WAY) —Hardline Loop — Samsung 750 EVO 256GB — Seagate 2TB 2.5" HDD x3 — Self-Built Case

5 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It feels that Apple is having a "UI identity crisis" since iOS 8 doesn't it? For some reason I look at iOS 11 and, while animations and design look rather nice, sometimes I feel stuff's just not in its place; or a particular thing is all over the place (menus inside Settings particularly). The fact that there's no choice between native dark or light/clear themes from the get-go in the iPhone X strikes me as a huge oversight.

20 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's to be expected since the resolution is 30% higher, as you mentioned. Plus, it's also possible that FaceID utilizes more power than TouchID. And it's also possible that the OLED uses more power than the old LCD did considering that most of iOS is light.

It would be less of a problem if apple used more black in their UI.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I think their research shows white as being most pleasing to the eye and very legible. Also very compatible with a variety of colors, so it's easy to design around.

Not that I want a white UI. I use dark themes where ever I can.

I think it would be fine if white/light theme was the default but a dark theme was optional. I think there might be developer pushback from the extra work but I do think designing apps to be aware of two preferences is reasonable. It should be a relatively simple API to implement and use for both Apple/Google and developers.

21 hours ago, Kumaresh said:

This seems to be a particular area where apple is losing quite terribly. People who want a phablet with really great battery life are gonna be sorely disappointed with Apple. And here I am, sitting with my 5300mAh Xiaomi Mi Max 2. Why do they always provide such low powered batteries ? Around 3000 mAh has been the standard in 5 inch Android phones for quite a long time, and that number has been steadily climbing even in budget devices.

because its so fucking thin and light

im still astonished at how thin my 6s+ is

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

30 minutes ago, themctipers said:

because its so fucking thin and light

im still astonished at how thin my 6s+ is

Invent a spacer that's roughly 1-1.5mm to make the phone thicker and have more space inside, then shove the largest batteries you can in it.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Invent a spacer that's roughly 1-1.5mm to make the phone thicker and have more space inside, then shove the largest batteries you can in it.

This is apple. 

Known for being thin, light, and ‘powerful’

Apple has committed to this.. Why would their newer phone be thicker? 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

This is apple. 

Known for being thin, light, and ‘powerful’

Apple has committed to this.. Why would their newer phone be thicker? 

I'm saying for you to invent a spacer for in between the display and body to make it thicker, theoretically as thick as the ribbon cables will allow. Of course Apple won't make them thicker. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would buy it as aftermarket product, especially enthusiasts. I would pay about $50 for one.

I'm saying for you to invent a spacer for in between the display and body to make it thicker, theoretically as thick as the ribbon cables will allow. Of course Apple won't make them thicker. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would buy it as aftermarket product, especially enthusiasts. I would pay about $50 for one.

so, a battery case?

behind the phone seems better than between the expensive and fragile display and the body, while keeping the waterproofing 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

so, a battery case?

behind the phone seems better than between the expensive and fragile display and the body, while keeping the waterproofing 

Same concept without being as bulky as a case as it would still be the phones battery and housed within the phone instead of a separate "container". Most people complain they want more battery and are okay with the overall thickness of the phone being increased for it. The waterproofing wouldn't be hard to keep if you have a seal of some sort. A battery case typically adds a decent amount more bulk for the amount of battery. it's a solution that would be easily made and implemented. You increase the phone 1mm you are looking at a capacity increase that would be similar to a battery case that would add 2-3mm if not more.

its all theoretical though.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

Same concept without being as bulky as a case as it would still be the phones battery and housed within the phone instead of a separate "container". Most people complain they want more battery and are okay with the overall thickness of the phone being increased for it. The waterproofing wouldn't be hard to keep if you have a seal of some sort. A battery case typically adds a decent amount more bulk for the amount of battery. it's a solution that would be easily made and implemented. You increase the phone 1mm you are looking at a capacity increase that would be similar to a battery case that would add 2-3mm if not more.

its all theoretical though.

the reason why it is so bulky is to contain the battery itself in a 'safe' container if something goes wrong. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

the reason why it is so bulky is to contain the battery itself in a 'safe' container if something goes wrong. 

Yes, to an extent for some of them. However there is already a battery within the phone so it won't change anything if something goes wrong with the battery within the phone.

24 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Why would their newer phone be thicker? 

The X actually is actually thicker than the 5.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yes, to an extent for some of them. However there is already a battery within the phone so it won't change anything if something goes wrong with the battery within the phone.

smaller company, high risk, lower safety testing, something something

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

The X actually is actually thicker than the 5s.

wow

i thought it was the same thickness has the 6/6s/7

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

4/4s - 9.3

5c - 9

X - 7.7

5/5s/5se - 7.6

8+ - 7.5

6s+/7+/8 - 7.3

6+/6s/7 - 7.1

6 - 6.9

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

smaller company, high risk, lower safety testing, something something

wow

Well I have yet to see that stop people from buying some of the questionable accessories at the kiosks in the malls and online lol.

I agree, I did not realize that. Interesting.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

4/4s - 9.3

5c - 9

X - 7.7

5/5s/5se - 7.6

8+ - 7.5

6s+/7+/8 - 7.3

6+/6s/7 - 7.1

6 - 6.9

So that's why you could look at the 6 and it would bend.