Finding the Worst Documentation

MrAw3som3

I'm doing a project for school and I'm looking for the WORST technical documentation (this can be for hardware components or software). Essentially instructions or documentation that is hard to follow or are just not good looking. If you can provide a link to the document or photos.

Thanks!

I have seen professional engineering documents in comic sans, I kid you not.

Also, found this in a folder once.  Rather than have the files, it just had a PDF that said:

1.PNG.b062993250e838661f3f0d0c12d45e28.PNG

>not available electronically

Last time I checked a CD was electronic but alright.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The worst kind is the one that doesn't exist.

If you want to hear horror-stories, ask r/sysadmin that question.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Last time I checked a CD was electronic but alright.

Incorrect, Mr. Vickers.

A CD itself is a form of optical media. The CD player is the electronic device used to read this form of optical media.

See me after class.

Just now, Urishima said:

The worst kind is the one that doesn't exist.

If you want to hear horror-stories, ask r/sysadmin that question.

48c.jpg.a580dd529747289f6292187992d7ea4b.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Incorrect, Mr. Vickers.

A CD itself is a form of optical media. The CD player is the electronic device used to read this form of optical media.

See me after class.

lol you know what I mean though.  Obviously if the data is available in the form of files on a CD (ie, electronically), it could just as well be hosted on the share folder like all the rest of it.  Why they chose to do this is beyond me.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

lol you know what I mean though.  Obviously if the data is available in the form of files on a CD (ie, electronically), it could just as well be hosted on the share folder like all the rest of it.  Why they chose to do this is beyond me.

They gotta scam cheat extort get more money out of you when you lose the disc, provided they give you one in the first place.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

48c.jpg.a580dd529747289f6292187992d7ea4b.jpg

I am 100 percent serious. Ever come to a place where you are supposed to work with an old system, but the documentation hasn't been updated since Augustus was in power, if it even exists?

Just now, Urishima said:

I am 100 percent serious. Ever come to a place where you are supposed to work with an old system, but the documentation hasn't been updated since Augustus was in power, if it even exists?

tumblr_nb1wvfHU4g1smip61o2_250.gif.410f5416ff03e39b51960b6c08cbd288.gif

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They gotta scam cheat extort get more money out of you when you lose the disc, provided they give you one in the first place.

This is exactly the reason we normally copy everything on the disks they gave us to the shared drive as soon as we got them.

Almost any puppet implementation of some software... Ppl just make them but forget that I don't have time to dig through their source to figure out how they set it up...

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is exactly the reason we normally copy everything on the disks they gave us to the shared drive as soon as we got them.

Yohoho.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Urishima said:

This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Have any specific examples available?

Pity it has to be computer related, you'd be golden with ANY ikea product ever pretty much otherwise xD

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I'm sure there's a BuzzFeed article of "top ten worst technical documents". It's BuzzFeed so you know it's shit

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Pity it has to be computer related, you'd be golden with ANY ikea product ever pretty much otherwise xD

Originally it was anything for the assignment, but it turned into your field of study instead. Mine happens to be computer software and hardware.

The build instructions for the Lian-Li T60 pitstop test bench are amazingly, hilariously awful. Even people like PCPER and paul of paul's hardware screwed the build up. Even i mounted the bottom plate upside down the first time and i got lucky. And i'm a former mechanic/general engineer with 25+ years experience as a hobbyist building complex and fiddly things like competition RC cars, computers, PCBs, etc. Literally all they had to do was print an exploded diagram to make them 10000x better.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4RBHFLCArMvZVluN292eXItck0

Ikea instructions are actually really good. I can even assemble their products without swearing once. Which is amazing. 

3 minutes ago, Hiko said:

The build instructions for the Lian-Li T60 pitstop test bench are amazingly, hilariously awful. Even people like PCPER and paul of paul's hardware screwed the build up. Even i mounted the bottom plate upside down the first time and i got lucky. And i'm a former mechanic/general engineer with 25+ years experience as a hobbyist building complex and fiddly things like competition RC cars, computers, PCBs, etc. Literally all they had to do was print an exploded diagram to make them 10000x better.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4RBHFLCArMvZVluN292eXItck0

Ikea instructions are actually really good. I can even assemble their products without swearing once. Which is amazing. 

Ha! This is great - you can't even tell what screw they are using. Thanks!! Looking for some software examples too.

should see some of the cabling documentation for my work.

its godawful.   i'd link some, but its all internal docs for proprietary bullshit

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

should see some of the cabling documentation for my work.

its godawful.   i'd link some, but its all internal docs for proprietary bullshit

Darn, I'm sure that's the case in most corporate settings.

Just now, MrAw3som3 said:

Darn, I'm sure that's the case in most corporate settings.

some of our stuff is great. and we're in the process of fixing most of it. but yea.. some of it is on an old system that was shit back then, and its just as shit now.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

7 hours ago, MrAw3som3 said:

This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Have any specific examples available?

Well, none that I can post. It's all work related, internal documentation.

Sadly I can't show it, but a large client I work with used to have all their IP documentation in Word documents.

They had massive word documents with nothing but tables in them. It drove me nuts. Now they have moved over to using Excel files which is not perfect, but hell of a lot better than Word files.