Moving my data from HDD to SSD

Hello, I have a 1TB hdd that I have been using for over a year. I recently bought a ssd and I was trying to move my data from the hdd to the ssd. The problem is that I am having a hard time figuring out how to transfer only some of the data. I want to move my os and ofter used games to the ssd and keep everything else on the hdd. Is this possible? I hope someone can help explain how to only move part of my data and not have to delete things in order to do this.

Thanks,

Ray

What's the size of the SSD and how much space are you currently using on the HDD?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

if you want to move your OS just reinstall the OS on the SSD, then either drag and drop to move the games or reinstall them on the drive if they need to be reinstalled, if they are steam games you can just drop and drag the folder.

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

6 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

if you want to move your OS just reinstall the OS on the SSD, then either drag and drop to move the games or reinstall them on the drive if they need to be reinstalled, if they are steam games you can just drop and drag the folder.

I know this is a stupid question, but will I need my code from Microsoft to reinstall windows?

1 hour ago, rue61 said:

I know this is a stupid question, but will I need my code from Microsoft to reinstall windows?

yes youll need the key, you can download the ISO online but the code is what youll need on your end.

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, rue61 said:

Windows 10, or an earlier version?

If Windows 10 and you have it linked to your Microsoft account, then no.

Otherwise, yes.

Just now, rue61 said:

I have 564ish Gb on the hard drive and it is a 525GB SSD

If there is data you don't mind losing:

Clean install OS on SSD.

Move everything else to SSD.

Wipe HDD and move non-essential stuff back.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Clockwork_princess said:

yes youll need the key, you can download the ISO online but the code is what youll need on your end.

If I already used the key wont it not net me use it again? or are the keys reusable? 

INSTALL Windows on the SSD, copy games and other files to the SSD the same way you would move files from one hard drive to another.

Windows 8 and up links Windows Keys to the Motherboard so you shouldn't even need to reinput the Windows Key when Reinstalling (I've done 3 or 4 installs on my PC without entering anything)

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Windows 10, or an earlier version?

If Windows 10 and you have it linked to your Microsoft account, then no.

Otherwise, yes.

If there is data you don't mind losing:

Clean install OS on SSD.

Move everything else to SSD.

Wipe HDD and move non-essential stuff back.

It is windows 10. Thanks Ill give it a try

1 minute ago, rue61 said:

If I already used the key wont it not net me use it again? or are the keys reusable? 

if it's the same motherboard the key will still work

1 hour ago, rue61 said:

you can reuse it 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

if it's the same motherboard the key will still work

even if its a new mobo it will be fine. becase his old windows wont be active anymore 

Spoiler

Just now, Clockwork_princess said:

even if its a new mobo it will be fine. becase his old windows wont be active anymore 

depends on the type of key, if it was a preinstalled (store bought computer) OEM Key like on a laptop or store bought desktop then it's a single motherboard key where if it's a RETAIL Key those can be moved after DEACTIVATING the old Windows Install.

If I were to install the OS onto the SSD and transfer the data to the SSD the way I normally would in Disk Manager how do I then get windows off of my hdd? or do I just run with both drives having windows on them?

1 hour ago, Daniel644 said:

depends on the type of key, if it was a preinstalled (store bought computer) OEM Key like on a laptop or store bought desktop then it's a single motherboard key where if it's a RETAIL Key those can be moved after DEACTIVATING the old Windows Install.

while that should be true i've found it to be false in practice, I have a OEM key and i've used it 6 times and never had to call microsoft for help or to reactive it. on 4 different mobos total. 

so they tell you what they tell you just to spend more money on keys lol. 

I dont talk out of my ass, i talk ONLY from personal experience and known facts.  

Spoiler

Just now, rue61 said:

If I were to install the OS onto the SSD and transfer the data to the SSD the way I normally would in Disk Manager how do I then get windows off of my hdd? or do I just run with both drives having windows on them?

you have 2 choices, you can transfer ALL the files you want to keep OFF the HDD and reformat it, then transfer files back to the HDD that you want to keep stored there OR you can just delete the Windows Folder from the HDD (I've done it this way when I didn't have the external storage space to transfer files off to), to delete the Windows folder may require several rounds of using the "Take Ownership" command (it's been a while).

1 hour ago, rue61 said:

it doesn't matter, keep it on or just find the folder for windows and right click and delete. and its gone. just make sure you're doing it as an admin and there should be no issue.

only the drive that is the boot drive will load the OS, so having an OS on another drive will do nothing as its not active unless it was used as the boot drive.

Spoiler