Which Amp or Sound Card for DT880 250 Ohm, gaming only?

Genesis777

I've recently bought a pair of DT880(250 Ohm) headphones that I will use purely for gaming. They are on the way.

I need an amp to run them efficiently but I don't know which one would be best? 

I've looked around and seen others say amps such as the Magni 2 and Fiio E10k are good or a sound card such as the Sound Blaster Z. I'm undecided and really new to all of this. Took me forever to decide on the headphones, now I need help finding an amp or sound card for them.

I will be gaming on console, if that makes any difference. Namely PS3 & PS4.

Willing to spend around $100

Any response would be highly appreciated and of consideration, thank you.

5 minutes ago, Genesis777 said:

I've recently bought a pair of DT880(250 Ohm) headphones that I will use purely for gaming. They are on the way.

I need an amp to run them efficiently but I don't know which one would be best? 

I've looked around and seen others say amps such as the Magni 2 and Fiio E10k are good or a sound card such as the Sound Blaster Z. I'm undecided and really new to all of this. Took me forever to decide on the headphones, now I need help finding an amp or sound card for them.

I will be gaming on console, if that makes any difference. Namely PS3 & PS4.

Willing to spend around $100

Any response would be highly appreciated and of consideration, thank you.

IMO If you just want an amp, something like a Schiit Magni 3 or Mayflower Electronics 02 Amp will do brilliant for 250 ohm.

If you want an amp dac combo, I suggest something like a Schitt Fulla 2. It runs of USB without drivers for PC, not sure about consoles tho...

BTW all the products listed above are around $100 MSRP.

Ok, I'm actually undecided again. I'm just wondering, which is better, an amp like the Magni or the AMP/DAC combo like the Fulla? Not really sure of what they're capable of

1 hour ago, Genesis777 said:

Ok, I'm actually undecided again. I'm just wondering, which is better, an amp like the Magni or the AMP/DAC combo like the Fulla? Not really sure of what they're capable of

The pure amp requires you to connect it with rca, where you probably need a 3.5mm stereo Jack to rca. A DAC and amp combo connects to you PC with USB,  optical or some 3rd digital cable.

The magni 3 has a lot more power than the fulla 2 and it is quite a bit better than the amp part in the fulla 2, but if you want a combo then get the monoprice desktop amp, it is better than the fulla 2 for high impedance headphone 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Awesome, very helpful! Will go ahead with the Magni then, thanks