Wired Internet Connection Need Help

TDCTomas

Hello

My motherboard has no onboard wifi, however my house has ethernet cables throughout it. I have two ethernet out ports on my wall right beside my computer and a good cable to connect my computer with, but at my modem there is a bunch of ethernet cables all being unmarked. I have tried connecting all of them to my modem and seeing if they are the correct one but none of them worked. I have no experience whatsoever in networking and need help asap please.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, TDCDigital said:

Hello

My motherboard has no onboard wifi, however my house has ethernet cables throughout it. I have two ethernet out ports on my wall right beside my computer and a good cable to connect my computer with, but at my modem there is a bunch of ethernet cables all being unmarked. I have tried connecting all of them to my modem and seeing if they are the correct one but none of them worked. I have no experience whatsoever in networking and need help asap please.

Thanks

From how you explained this i am assuming that the wires are in the walls and not visible right? well if so this will only be worked out by a tech coming to your home to find out if the wires are cut by running a signal through each cable. 

Do you know if yo have any switches on the ehternet socket to flip to on to activate the switch?If not check for that.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Just now, Leonard said:

From how you explained this i am assuming that the wires are in the walls and not visible right? well if so this will only be worked out by a tech coming to your home to find out if the wires are cut by running a signal through each cable. 

Do you know if yo have any switches on the ehternet socket to flip to on to activate the switch?If not check for that.

yes the wires are in the walls and there are no switches on the sockets. i guess by now the best option would be to buy a cheap usb wireless adapter off amazon.

Just now, TDCDigital said:

yes the wires are in the walls and there are no switches on the sockets. i guess by now the best option would be to buy a cheap usb wireless adapter off amazon.

Not if you want to game with minimal lag, however anything else but gaming is fine with a wifi card/adapter.. What about buying a long ethernet cable and run it through the holes in the wall yourself?

Just now, Leonard said:

Not if you want to game with minimal lag, however anything else but gaming is fine with a wifi card/adapter.. What about buying a long ethernet cable and run it through the holes in the wall yourself?

well the room with my pc in it is up a set of stairs and across about 30 metres of room and at that length the cable would quite expensive and would look horrible running across my house.

Just now, TDCDigital said:

well the room with my pc in it is up a set of stairs and across about 30 metres of room and at that length the cable would quite expensive and would look horrible running across my house.

Well i didn't mean to run it across your room i meant run it in the holes in the walls but i just thought that Americans nail those cables to studs, we use pipes like PVC and just snake them through so we can upgrade on the cheap. 

If it is your home and not a rental you might want to call a proper technician to do a signal test to even know if that sockets are even active.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

Well i didn't mean to run it across your room i meant run it in the holes in the walls but i just thought that Americans nail those cables to studs, we use pipes like PVC and just snake them through so we can upgrade on the cheap. 

If it is your home and not a rental you might want to call a proper technician to do a signal test to even know if that sockets are even active.

i know the sockets are active because the sockets in one of the other rooms works and wiring it through the walls sounds difficult and getting a technician would probably be expensive as i literally have no budget for this as this was just to see if i didnt have to spend like $5 on a wireless adapter. I'm really only trying to do this as i currently have wifi by using usb tethering on my phone which is becoming a nuisance and i'm not playing competitive online games so lag isnt much of a problem [ i didnt get much anyway ]

1 minute ago, TDCDigital said:

i know the sockets are active because the sockets in one of the other rooms works and wiring it through the walls sounds difficult and getting a technician would probably be expensive as i literally have no budget for this as this was just to see if i didnt have to spend like $5 on a wireless adapter. I'm really only trying to do this as i currently have wifi by using usb tethering on my phone which is becoming a nuisance and i'm not playing competitive online games so lag isnt much of a problem [ i didnt get much anyway ]

Alright, you have to understand i am not there with you so i do not know all the parameters you are working with. 

Sometimes the modem needs to be power cycled to connect to these pre-run cables, have you tried that? you will need to have you PC connected via the ethernet port in your room and then start the power cycle of the modem, let the modem do its thing and initialize and then check your PC if it has a connection.

Do you know if you have any static IP address and specific DNS servers configured on the modem or your PC's internet connection properties?.. these are some of the tings that can prevent you from getting a connection.