Should I upgrade power supply in PC upgrade?

7 hours ago, Alaradia said:

also if a psu used with blown caps it wont work

That one in the picture did - at least a week earlier...

And the statement isn't entirely correct. PSU with blown caps do (seem to) work and that's the Problem...

There is absolutely no way to tell if a PSU is good or not. If you don't have a real PSU Test setup - wich cost a couple of thousand bucks minimum...

and most of the time also won't cause any damage.

High Ripple won't cause any damage to other components??

you seem to be calling what i'm saying is belief when its not belief it's a educated guess based on my training in electrical engineering and my over 17 years of repairing and building computers. also yes id probably use the power supply in the picture once i swapped out the caps :P

Since you are an engineer, you can clearly state the most likely topology of the PSU he has and/or the one I've posted.

And what happens when you have a so called two transistor Standby circuit where the "right" capacitor is kaputt...

Then tell us why a group regulated unit wich was designed ~20 years ago, wich is made for heavy load on +5V and not so much on +12V are still good for modern units...

And why Efficiency doesn't matter. It's not like we are talking about something like 20 Points difference...

Just take a look at modern PSU.

You find either way more capacitors in parallel on the +12V rail and/or Polymer capacitors. Most better PSU these days will have Polymer Capacitors at one point or another.

And you seriously would use a PSU with only 15A on +12V but 30A on +5V with a modern PC?!

Really?

Again, who you are and what you do in reallife is absolutely irrelevant on the Internets!!

Why mentioning that you might be an Engineer?? WHY?!

That is total irrelevant information. And why not post some facts instead??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

37 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That one in the picture did - at least a week earlier...

And the statement isn't entirely correct. PSU with blown caps do (seem to) work and that's the Problem...

There is absolutely no way to tell if a PSU is good or not. If you don't have a real PSU Test setup - wich cost a couple of thousand bucks minimum...

High Ripple won't cause any damage to other components??

Since you are an engineer, you can clearly state the most likely topology of the PSU he has and/or the one I've posted.

And what happens when you have a so called two transistor Standby circuit where the "right" capacitor is kaputt...

Then tell us why a group regulated unit wich was designed ~20 years ago, wich is made for heavy load on +5V and not so much on +12V are still good for modern units...

And why Efficiency doesn't matter. It's not like we are talking about something like 20 Points difference...

Just take a look at modern PSU.

You find either way more capacitors in parallel on the +12V rail and/or Polymer capacitors. Most better PSU these days will have Polymer Capacitors at one point or another.

And you seriously would use a PSU with only 15A on +12V but 30A on +5V with a modern PC?!

Really?

Again, who you are and what you do in reallife is absolutely irrelevant on the Internets!!

Why mentioning that you might be an Engineer?? WHY?!

That is total irrelevant information. And why not post some facts instead??

you kept calling it a belief so i was explaining how it was a informed guess also yeah i would its a 1050 ti hes using which is only 75 watt which 15A at 12 v is more then enough also if his rig is currently stable and not broken there's a low chance it will change if it has survived this long also its closer to like 6 - 10 years old not 20 

4 hours ago, Alaradia said:

you kept calling it a belief so i was explaining how it was a informed guess also yeah i would its a 1050 ti hes using which is only 75 watt which 15A at 12 v is more then enough also if his rig is currently stable and not broken there's a low chance it will change if it has survived this long also its closer to like 6 - 10 years old not 20 

Please Answer the Questions I've asked!

No need to defend yourself, just answer the questions.

If you know what you are doing, it should be easy for you, should it not?

And what if the +12V voltage on those old PSU, when used with modern computers, drops below the specified value or is very close to it?
Do you still think that's fine?

I have a couple of Liteon PS-5301 and measured the +12V Voltage and its rediculously low and very very close to the lower specified value for the +12V Voltage.

And that is one of the problems I was going at.

You are just assuming some things, but it doesn't seem that SMPS is something you've really worked with. 

What you are missing is:

a) the switch from +5V to +12V 

b) old, group regulated units that are made for high load on +5V but don't really work in a +12V heavy enviroment where you have something like 1-3A on the minor rails

c) Ripple/Noise from other, non isolated SMPS you have in the PC and the new power saving mechanisms those things were not designed for.

Why do you think a be quiet Pure Power 10 has the better caps right next to the +12V solderpoints???

Why do you think so many PSU have polymer capacitors on the modular board??

The other thing you are missing is that you can not know how good the capacitors are after all those years. And a PSU like that still worked a Week ago:

DSC_3108-small.jpg.fb8f989e028bd192a8c845a27bd584f1.jpg

Do you think that this PSU can not damage the components it was used with??

You also didn't say anything about the 2 transistor standby circuit. That's a self oscilating one, where one of the caps is used for that.

If that cap is damaged, the voltage of that circuit goes up and fries all that is on the +5VSB line!!

So even if you are an engineer, you don't seem to know much about SMPS, if you did, you would have answered the Questions I had for you in my last posting.

You didn't even mention the topology of the unit. That should habe been fairly easy to say...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

16 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Please Answer the Questions I've asked!

No need to defend yourself, just answer the questions.

If you know what you are doing, it should be easy for you, should it not?

And what if the +12V voltage on those old PSU, when used with modern computers, drops below the specified value or is very close to it?
Do you still think that's fine?

I have a couple of Liteon PS-5301 and measured the +12V Voltage and its rediculously low and very very close to the lower specified value for the +12V Voltage.

And that is one of the problems I was going at.

You are just assuming some things, but it doesn't seem that SMPS is something you've really worked with. 

What you are missing is:

a) the switch from +5V to +12V 

b) old, group regulated units that are made for high load on +5V but don't really work in a +12V heavy enviroment where you have something like 1-3A on the minor rails

c) Ripple/Noise from other, non isolated SMPS you have in the PC and the new power saving mechanisms those things were not designed for.

Why do you think a be quiet Pure Power 10 has the better caps right next to the +12V solderpoints???

Why do you think so many PSU have polymer capacitors on the modular board??

The other thing you are missing is that you can not know how good the capacitors are after all those years. And a PSU like that still worked a Week ago:

Do you think that this PSU can not damage the components it was used with??

You also didn't say anything about the 2 transistor standby circuit. That's a self oscilating one, where one of the caps is used for that.

If that cap is damaged, the voltage of that circuit goes up and fries all that is on the +5VSB line!!

So even if you are an engineer, you don't seem to know much about SMPS, if you did, you would have answered the Questions I had for you in my last posting.

You didn't even mention the topology of the unit. That should habe been fairly easy to say...

if you want to do a new post on the forums about this id be happy to answer but your getting off topic what i wrote only applies to the situation and the power supply the op had and my answers were related to them. and these random other units your brining up and talking about are older than the ops unit

6 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

if you want to do a new post on the forums about this id be happy to answer but your getting off topic what i wrote only applies to the situation and the power supply the op had and my answers were related to them. and these random other units your brining up and talking about are older than the ops unit

???

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.