Should I upgrade power supply in PC upgrade?

Hi,

I'm currently upgrading my PC (i.e core2quad, asus p5qpro). I have decided to just keep the cabinet (chieftec-pretty good) and hdd's but I'm not sure about the power supply which is cooler master RS500 PCAR-A3 500W (India). My new configuration is going to be i5 7500, Asus strix B250F,   Corsair - Vengeance LPX 2400 16GB, GTX 1050ti, M.2 SSD.

My PC is almost 10 years old, Will this PSU work with the new config.?

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 11.28.31 am.png

Upgrade, but please don't get i5 7500.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

you will be fine with any decent 500w bronze PSU. however I would buy replace the one you have, there is no real need for a 750w for the build you have planned 

Yes, you should replace it. Don't get the i5-7500 either. You have Coffee Lake and Ryzen available which effectively makes it a bad purchase.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, firecrafter711 said:

you will be fine with any decent 500w bronze PSU but I would buy replace the one you have but there is no real need for a 750w unless you are going to run 2 GPUs 

Pretty much no good 500W ones exist, plus 450 will be fine.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

Pretty much no good 500W ones exist, plus 450 will be fine.

what is the issues you see with the silverstone 500w sfx-l? i havew that in one of my builds? is it the form factor?

Just now, firecrafter711 said:

what is the issues you see with the silverstone 500w sfx-l? i havew that in one of my builds? is it the form factor?

SFX units are generally harder to get and more expensive than ATX units, so why would you get one unless your case could only fit SFX (this case can fit ATX)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

that's true and the member is in India as far as I can tell so they might have a hard time finding a good low watt PSU and may be better off with the going bigger than need if it is around the same price.

22 minutes ago, aSidSha said:

cooler master RS500 PCAR-A3 500W (India).

Edited by firecrafter711

48 minutes ago, firecrafter711 said:

that's true and the member is in India as far as I can tell so they might have a hard time finding a good low watt PSU and may be better off with the going bigger than need if it is around the same price.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01MRW2K7E/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1509348509&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Corsair+CX&dpPl=1&dpID=41S3XrrQb4L&ref=plSrch

6200 INR

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 hour ago, firecrafter711 said:

It dies under overload conditions.

And compared to somewhat similar priced ATX PSU every SFX PSU is pretty shitty and should not be used because similar ATX PSU are just so much better that it doesn't make sense to think about....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 minutes ago, JDE said:

yep, that is the one I would vote for if the member can get it. I have the 850 version in my other build and have loved it

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

It dies under overload conditions.

And compared to somewhat similar priced ATX PSU every SFX PSU is pretty shitty and should not be used because similar ATX PSU are just so much better that it doesn't make sense to think about....

ya but the build I have it in needed an SFX PSU because there is just no way to get an ATX one in without custom cables that were not in the budget. plus most SFX's are used for ITX cases that would not allow for overloading a 500w PSU. anyway were are looking for a PSU for aSidSha's build not mine lol

(I had only asked about that PSU because it in a build I did and wanted to know if there were any issues that I missed when picking it)

Edited by firecrafter711

9 hours ago, aSidSha said:

Hi,

I'm currently upgrading my PC (i.e core2quad, asus p5qpro). I have decided to just keep the cabinet (chieftec-pretty good) and hdd's but I'm not sure about the power supply which is cooler master RS500 PCAR-A3 500W (India). My new configuration is going to be i5 7500, Asus strix B250F,   Corsair - Vengeance LPX 2400 16GB, GTX 1050ti, M.2 SSD.

Definitely do not get an i5 7500. Get a Ryzen 1600. Then, upgrade your PSU man! It's 10 years old, it's time to go! Get a Corsair CX450 and you'll be fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 10/30/2017 at 11:59 AM, HKZeroFive said:

Yes, you should replace it. Don't get the i5-7500 either. You have Coffee Lake and Ryzen available which effectively makes it a bad purchase.

On 10/30/2017 at 11:56 AM, JDE said:

Upgrade, but please don't get i5 7500.

19 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Definitely do not get an i5 7500. Get a Ryzen 1600. Then, upgrade your PSU man! It's 10 years old, it's time to go! Get a Corsair CX450 and you'll be fine.

I'm surprised by such a negative response for i5 7500 whereas so many reviewers are recommending it in their builds. Coffee lake is not yet available in my country and i think it will take some time as these things always arrive late in the market in India and all the reviews of Ryzen suggests that it has problems with memory/ram speed consistency.

Is going for i5 7500 such a bad choice? Am i going to regret it later? I am a casual gamer and i do some music production work. 

3 hours ago, aSidSha said:

I'm surprised by such a negative response for i5 7500 whereas so many reviewers are recommending it in their builds. Coffee lake is not yet available in my country and i think it will take some time as these things always arrive late in the market in India and all the reviews of Ryzen suggests that it has problems with memory/ram speed consistency.

Is going for i5 7500 such a bad choice? Am i going to regret it later? I am a casual gamer and i do some music production work. 

Even if you can't get Coffee Lake, AMD Ryzen is better.

Ryzen doesnt have many problems anymore.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

On 30.10.2017 at 7:19 AM, aSidSha said:

I'm not sure about the power supply which is cooler master RS500 PCAR-A3 500W (India). My new configuration is going to be i5 7500, Asus strix B250F,   Corsair - Vengeance LPX 2400 16GB, GTX 1050ti, M.2 SSD.

It might, but it makes no sense.

The probability that the PSU will die in the forseeable future and/or kill other components is rather high after that long time...

So no, you need a new PSU.

And you must not buy a glorified Quad Core CPU, that's just bullshit these days. Especially since you can get a 6 core with SMT for the same amount of money.

And also the upgradability is a thing you should think about.

You most likely upgrade AM4 processors with the upcoming Zen2 CPUs.

You can not upgrade to an i5 or i7 8k series with the B250F Board. 

On 30.10.2017 at 7:22 AM, Alaradia said:

yep should work fine 

After over 10 Years?
Have you read Hardwaresecrets review of the unit he has?!

It seems you didn't think about the age of the PSU much...

Or the Quality.

Or what changed in the last 10 Years...

Yes, because many people are just Intel Fans or maybe they got money from them in whatever form.

Or they use old benchmarks so that Intel looks better for whatever reason.

But if you take a look at newer games that support more cores, you'll see that the Ryzen performs way better and thus will last longer than the Intel processor.

In this day and age it just makes no sense to pay more than 150 bucks for a 4 Core CPU in whatever way.

And also the problems AMD has will be hyped so people can bash AMD while problems Intel has will be ignored. 

And the only (real) Problem that Ryzen had was memory compability - but that's not news for any new plattform whatsoever!
Even Intel had the same Problems in the days X99 was new but that's not something many people talk about. But if you talk with Systembuilders, they tell you that X99 was worse than Ryzen ever was! 

Wow. Thanks @Stefan Payne @JDE and everyone. You have given me something to think about. I was going to make the purchase today itself but I think i'll hold for now. 

4 hours ago, aSidSha said:

Ryzen had those problems at launch, not currently. Update your BIOS and make sure your Windows 10 updates are all up-to-date and you should be fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 10/31/2017 at 11:12 AM, Stefan Payne said:

After over 10 Years?
Have you read Hardwaresecrets review of the unit he has?!

It seems you didn't think about the age of the PSU much...

Or the Quality.

Or what changed in the last 10 Years...

age isn't really an issue and unless the review is over several 100 units its pointless if its currently working which it is it will probably still be working in the new build and how used it is also hard to gauge properly depending on how much it is used and how much it is used for. 

6 hours ago, Alaradia said:

age isn't really an issue

Wait, what?!

Are you seriously saying that the Age of a PSU doesn't matter??

Oh dear, oh dear...

and unless the review is over several 100 units its pointless if its currently working

1. The unit wasn't great 10 Years ago, why do you think it's good now?!.

2. If you are wrong and the PSU dies and kills components, do you buy him new ones?

Some of the Elite Powers also failed the Testing at Hardwaresecrets. Just look it up!

which it is it will probably still be working in the new build and how used it is also hard to gauge properly depending on how much it is used and how much it is used for. 

Yes and that's why we recommend a new PSU because a new PSU is cheaper than a new Computer, after the PSU killed the components due to age like dried up capacitors (yes, they drie up, without any signs), blown capacitors and totally inapropriate designs for modern components.

On 11/5/2017 at 11:29 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Wait, what?!

Are you seriously saying that the Age of a PSU doesn't matter??

Oh dear, oh dear...

1. The unit wasn't great 10 Years ago, why do you think it's good now?!.

2. If you are wrong and the PSU dies and kills components, do you buy him new ones?

Some of the Elite Powers also failed the Testing at Hardwaresecrets. Just look it up!

Yes and that's why we recommend a new PSU because a new PSU is cheaper than a new Computer, after the PSU killed the components due to age like dried up capacitors (yes, they drie up, without any signs), blown capacitors and totally inapropriate designs for modern components.

psu death rarely takes components with them the unit was fine 10 years ago they some of them just failed just because there's a high rate of bad ones doesn't mean there weren't any good ones and usually strictly time based metrics aren't great either since there's also how much it was actually used to be factored in but yeah if its still working fine 10 years down the line it's probably still good for quiet a while longer 

2 hours ago, Alaradia said:

psu death rarely takes components with them the unit was fine 10 years ago they some of them just failed just because there's a high rate of bad ones doesn't mean there weren't any good ones and usually strictly time based metrics aren't great either since there's also how much it was actually used to be factored in but yeah if its still working fine 10 years down the line it's probably still good for quiet a while longer 

Why?
How do you know that?
Ever heard of "chemical aging" of capacitors?

What do you base your assumption on?

How can you be sure that the capacitors are fine?
How can you be sure that the PSU itself is fine for modern components?

You don't have one Argument about why the PSU is still fine, you just said you believe it.

And what do you think will happen, if the PSU is used with blown capacitors??

What's your oppionion on this unit:
Should that have been replaced??

Or should it have been used until the end of times?

And do you think you can use that for modern components?!DSC_3108-small.jpg.fb8f989e028bd192a8c845a27bd584f1.jpg

well yeah it works for modern components i'm currently using psus from the same era the atx standard has been pretty consistent and yeah caps do age but you can take 2 caps from the same batch and they will last for significantly different lifespans. also if a psu used with blown caps it wont work and most of the time also won't cause any damage. you seem to be calling what i'm saying is belief when its not belief it's a educated guess based on my training in electrical engineering and my over 17 years of repairing and building computers. also yes id probably use the power supply in the picture once i swapped out the caps :P