HP Warranty Repair

So my laptop has developed a problem with the screen so I am sending it in to HP for a repair under warranty.

I have upgraded the Hard Drive to an SSD and upgraded the RAM to 16GB.

When I had a problem with my Dell laptop they had no problem but I've not had sent a HP laptop back with upgrades before (I have had the screen replaced on this laptop before but I hadn't upgraded anything at that point).

Before sending it in, would it be a good idea to put the original hard drive back in and remove the extra RAM. They have guides on their website to upgrade it so I would assume there wouldn't be a problem but I don't know whether to go through the effort of taking it apart as it's a nightmare to get to.

Anybody had experience with HP before?

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

You'll probably be fine leaving them in, but I would remove the upgrades just so you know for sure that you'll still have them. When sending stuff in for repairs there isn't always a guarantee that you'll get your exact unit back, and any upgrades on yours might be overlooked and not swapped into an "identical unit" you'd receive.

It should be easy enough to remove everything, on my Probooks everything comes apart in about a minute.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

5 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

So my laptop has developed a problem with the screen so I am sending it in to HP for a repair under warranty.

I have upgraded the Hard Drive to an SSD and upgraded the RAM to 16GB.

When I had a problem with my Dell laptop they had no problem but I've not had sent a HP laptop back with upgrades before (I have had the screen replaced on this laptop before but I hadn't upgraded anything at that point).

Before sending it in, would it be a good idea to put the original hard drive back in and remove the extra RAM. They have guides on their website to upgrade it so I would assume there wouldn't be a problem but I don't know whether to go through the effort of taking it apart as it's a nightmare to get to.

Anybody had experience with HP before?

Before sending it back, use something like the Belarc advisor and make a printed copy of the report and include that with the machine, don't forget to keep a copy for yourself.  But to be on the safe side, remove your updates/upgrades and send it in with the original equipment.  That way they can't say you screwed it up when you did your stuff.

http://www.belarc.com/en/products_belarc_advisor

2 minutes ago, SALEEN961 said:

You'll probably be fine leaving them in, but I would remove the upgrades just so you know for sure that you'll still have them. When sending stuff in for repairs there isn't always a guarantee that you'll get your exact unit back, and any upgrades on yours might be overlooked and not swapped into an "identical unit" you'd receive.

It should be easy enough to remove everything, on my Probooks everything comes apart in about a minute.

The thing I liked about Dell was that they came to my house to do the repairs so I could see exactly what the was doing, he didn't even know what the spacer for the SSD was, i had to tell him that it was to stop the SSD moving around inside the laptop because it was slimmer than the HDD that it came with. 

I think I'm going to remove it anyway because I just don't trust them enough to know I'll get it back. When I put it in, it took me around half an hour just to get in to the laptop because you have to remove around 20 screws from the bottom to remove the whole bottom plate which is clipped on as well as wrapping round the front which is what makes it difficult

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Before sending it back, use something like the Belarc advisor and make a printed copy of the report and include that with the machine, don't forget to keep a copy for yourself.  But to be on the safe side, remove your updates/upgrades and send it in with the original equipment.  That way they can't say you screwed it up when you did your stuff.

http://www.belarc.com/en/products_belarc_advisor

I'll give that a look, I might as well give it a run.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

2 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

When I put it in, it took me around half an hour just to get in to the laptop because you have to remove around 20 screws from the bottom to remove the whole bottom plate which is clipped on as well as wrapping round the front which is what makes it difficult.

Which model laptop do you have? That sounds way worse than the probooks I have.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

It's a HP Pavilion 15 'Gaming'.

It's supposedly a gaming laptop but it's only got a 950m. I only bought it because of the 6700hq and the green back lighting (that's the only reason I looked at it) and I got it for about £400.

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

is is generally recommended to remove anything extra you have put in. this is more to protect yourself as if they are unable to make the repair and instead just chose provide a new unit, you will not likely get the drive or RAM sticks back.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒