Laptop running hot

Hi everyone. I have an Asus F550J laptop with an i7 4720hq paired with a gtx 960m 4 gb. It recently began running hot, like 140 degrees in idle. I changed my thermal paste but i it's still too hot, like nothing changed.

Any ideas about what should I do? Thankss.

Undervolting, cleaning dust

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I did actually clean it and everything seemed fine in terms of voltage

36 minutes ago, xluciux5 said:

I did actually clean it and everything seemed fine in terms of voltage

if you're not going to check and undervolt your voltage when someone tells you an option, there isn't much we can help you with. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-Lower-Temperatures-Stop-Throttling-and-Increase-Battery-Life-The-ThrottleStop-Guide-2017.213140.0.html

^ if you feel the need to learn 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

I hope the temp sensor is dead or you're exaggerating and you're not actually getting 140 at idle. Is it hot to the touch and are the fans exhausting really hot air?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

yes, definetly. its 140 degrees fahrenheit or 60 degreees celsius according to right mark and cpu temp.

On 10/29/2017 at 10:24 AM, xluciux5 said:

Hi everyone. I have an Asus F550J laptop with an i7 4720hq paired with a gtx 960m 4 gb. It recently began running hot, like 140 degrees in idle. I changed my thermal paste but i it's still too hot, like nothing changed.

Any ideas about what should I do? Thankss.

Did you make sure there is no dust in the heatsink(s)? Also undervolting is both safe, easy and effective. I easily get 10-12C drops after undervolting my laptop CPU's.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

the heatsinks are perfectly clean and have the correct amount of thermal paste... i also tried a couple of different pastes but nothing worked.... the laptop is till running too hot

Just now, xluciux5 said:

the heatsinks are perfectly clean and have the correct amount of thermal paste... i also tried a couple of different pastes but nothing worked.... the laptop is till running too hot

also undervolting barely worked, like 2-3 degrees

On 10/30/2017 at 1:38 PM, xluciux5 said:

yes, definetly. its 140 degrees fahrenheit or 60 degreees celsius according to right mark and cpu temp.

Two things. 

1) We use Celsius and metric when discussing PC hardware. Dont ask me why. Im from the US. If you give me a Fahrenheit temp for a CPU I have no clue on what it means. Sad but true. I can only use Celsius for discussing PC related items. 

2) Do you know what your CPU was running before it started going up in temp? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 05.11.2017 at 11:14 PM, Donut417 said:

Two things. 

1) We use Celsius and metric when discussing PC hardware. Dont ask me why. Im from the US. If you give me a Fahrenheit temp for a CPU I have no clue on what it means. Sad but true. I can only use Celsius for discussing PC related items. 

2) Do you know what your CPU was running before it started going up in temp? 

ok lets talk in celsius. its 60 degrees in idle... before it started to get so hot it would stay at about 45 degrees

Just now, xluciux5 said:

ok lets talk in celsius. its 60 degrees in idle... before it started to get so hot it would stay at about 45 degrees

60 degrees idle is concerning. I wonder if the fan is working properly and if the heat sink is indeed dust free. I would probably try to under volt that bad boy for safety. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

60 degrees idle is concerning. I wonder if the fan is working properly and if the heat sink is indeed dust free. I would probably try to under volt that bad boy for safety. 

heat sink is perfect.. the fan is perfect as well.. everything is dust free... ive cleaned everything. should i worry about some sort of bitminer since undervolting did not work?

Just now, xluciux5 said:

heat sink is perfect.. the fan is perfect as well.. everything is dust free... believe ive cleaned it myself. should i worry about some sort of bitminer since undervolting did not work?

Hard to say. I would say look in to Task Manager and see if something has your CPU usage up. If your on the newer Windows 10 update, you should also see a GPU usage as well. Have you tried other methods but software to determine temp? What I mean is, your CPU's temp sensor could be on the fritz. Does the machine feel hotter than you remember? 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Hard to say. I would say look in to Task Manager and see if something has your CPU usage up. If your on the newer Windows 10 update, you should also see a GPU usage as well. Have you tried other methods but software to determine temp? What I mean is, your CPU's temp sensor could be on the fritz. Does the machine feel hotter than you remember? 

yes.... it blows hot air..liek really hot... thats how i began noticing he temps..