Can a broken DP cable prevent booting?

tikker

As the title says, can a broken DP cable prevent my system from booting successfully? Using HDMI it boots just fine, but with the DP cable it was kind of russian roulette. Just a few minutes ago it booted and showed the desktop in a miniature version, i.e. the mouse could go anywhere but the desktop was scaled to fit one quarter of the display.

Now when I plug in both HDMI and DP (after booting) it recognized "two displays", but I cannot get any output from this DP cable anymore. I'm assuming it has pretty much died now.

Anyway, can a broken cable be the cause of boot problems?

Secondary, can anyone recommend a particular brand of cable? This one (DeLOCK) isn't even a year old...

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

No, displays won't (and AFAIK shouldn't) affect the booting of your PC. There are many people who run "headless" boxes which boot without any user interaction, and only have power and networking connected.

1 minute ago, ChristopherH said:

No, displays won't (and AFAIK shouldn't) affect the booting of your PC. There are many people who run "headless" boxes which boot without any user interaction, and only have power and networking connected.

That's the problem, it shouldn't :P It boots fine without a cable and with HDMI, just with the DP cable it's unstable.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I'll check it out.

This whole build has been weird since it was built lol... Everything works fine separately, but put it all together and it's like screw it, have fun troubleshooting.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

That's the problem, it shouldn't :P It boots fine without a cable and with HDMI, just with the DP cable it's unstable.

Is this on your Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE GFX card?

4 minutes ago, ChristopherH said:

Is this on your Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE GFX card?

Yes. It worked fine in another system though. No issues whatsoever so I don't think the card is the culprit.

1 minute ago, tikker said:

Yes. It worked fine in another system though. No issues whatsoever so I don't think the card is the culprit.

And as silly as this may sound, all the drivers are up-to-date, etc?

8 minutes ago, ChristopherH said:

And as silly as this may sound, all the drivers are up-to-date, etc?

Don't worry. Yes they are.