Monitor purchase.

Watashi

I'm getting something that has a high refresh rate, aswell as G-SYNC. Originally I was going to go with an ultrawide panel. But I've been thinking, ultrawides are slightly harder for a GPU to push, they cost a lot of money, and they don't have as high of a refresh rate. I've always used smaller panels, although larger panels are nice, I'm not sure if It's worth getting. What do you guys think? Worth, or not worth?

I recently changed from a 29" ultrawide to a 27" 16:9 and I really like the extra size of the 27", it's a little narrower than the 29" ultrawide but the extra height makes it feel much larger overall.

What games do you play, what video card are you using, and what FPS are you looking to achieve on your new monitor?

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

Depends on your preference really. The Massdrop Vast is a good ultrawide to consider(I don't think it's G-Sync though).

And it's worth mentioning that if you're willing to spend a little more money on a monitor, a lot of options open up, Predator X34, Z35, or Rog Swift PG348Q for example.

If you're looking for smaller panels, then the Acer Predator X27 or Predator XB271HK would fill all your requirements(although the latter is 4K which needs quite some GPU power to run at)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Ultra wide is cool but not worth the price.  Better off getting 27" 1440p high refresh display.  It's  a nice balance of resolution and size, easy to drive with mid to high end hardware, and price is OK.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

32 minutes ago, SALEEN961 said:

I recently changed from a 29" ultrawide to a 27" 16:9 and I really like the extra size of the 27", it's a little narrower than the 29" ultrawide but the extra height makes it feel much larger overall.

What games do you play, what video card are you using, and what FPS are you looking to achieve on your new monitor?

My gaming varies to be frank. Using a 1080 Ti though. Currently playing Destiny 2. Liking that a lot by the way.

19 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Ultra wide is cool but not worth the price.  Better off getting 27" 1440p high refresh display.  It's  a nice balance of resolution and size, easy to drive with mid to high end hardware, and price is OK.

That's how I'm starting to feel. And to be totally honest whenever I'm gaming, sure my entire field of view isn't covered by a panel, but it doesn't matter. I get so immersed in the game (usually) that I don't even notice honestly. Or maybe, I'm just used to it