Watercooling a card voids warranty?

I'm planning to get the Zotac GTX 1080ti FE

Will placing a waterblock on it for a custom loop void the warranty? Will the stickers get hit if I try to remove the stock cooler/backplate? Anyone tried it with theirs?

from zotac's website:

In particular, the warranty will be null and void if

- the product has been modified and/or willfully damaged in any way; or

- the serial number has been altered, defaced or removed; or

- the GPU cooler fan has been removed or replaced.

So i'd say yes

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

Of course it would, but those "security" stickers can be removed and put back the same way it was on and they would never know.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Some brands will void the warranty if you install a waterblock, others will not. The only two I'm 100% certain don't void the warranty are MSI and EVGA. I think other brands are coming around to it, but I haven't looked into any other than those two. 

This is on Zotac's warranty policy:

Warranty claims will be void if the user:

• Tampers, defaces, or removes any stickers containing product identification information such as model number, serial number, or part number.
  • Tampers, defaces, or removes any stickers indicating void warranty if broken.
  • Causes defects through improper usage, failure to comply with operating instructions, inappropriate operating conditions, or unapproved repairs or modifications.
  • Fails to return the product in the stock factory configuration or remove any aftermarket modifications.
  • Causes defects through accidents, acts of God, acts of nature, negligence, liquid immersion, or improper ventilation.
  • Knowingly and willingly attempt to defraud the validity of a claim.

It doesn't explicitly say whether waterblocks void the warranty or not and really, it can be interpreted either way, as theoretically, if you don't deface any stickers or break a void warranty sticker (if it has one) and you return it in factory condition (ie, with the stock cooler), it would be fine. It does say if you don't remove aftermarket modifications your warranty will be void, but that kind of also means it's okay as long as you remove them when you return it. 

As the warranty policy doesn't exactly answer whether it will void it or not, your best option is to contact Zotac and ask them to make sure, or just go for a brand like EVGA who are already known to (and state it pretty clearly I believe) that as long as you put the stock cooler back on, it doesn't void the warranty. 

Bear in mind that that doesn't mean you'll be covered if something leaks and kills the card. That would be the responsibility of the manufacturer who made the component that leaked, not the graphics card manufacturer. Or it could be down to you if you mess up, then you won't have any warranty cover.

As long as you keep the card and stock cooler physically undamaged and put it back on correctly before RMA or whatever you're gold.

If it's an FE they should have no way of telling.

Thanks everyone! :) I'll just go for a pre-attached waterblock cooler instead.

41 minutes ago, Vanguardas said:

Thanks everyone! :) I'll just go for a pre-attached waterblock cooler instead.

EVGA doesn't care, get one of their GPU's

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I can agree that EVGA doesn't care.

I did RMA 2 cards that I put on waterblock ... no issues.

Even if you do it with any other brand, simply don't say that you were water cooling it at all. It's very hard to prove that you did, so in most cases there won't be any problems.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just do it. don't mess up and it will be fine for forever 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

• 5 years later...

MSI CONFIRMED FOR ME JUST NOW

Screenshot_20230711_131007_Chrome.jpg