Turning on pc with key

Hi guys, 

I have an idea of turning on a pc with key. I would replace power button with switch, but I don't know electronics of PC so much and I would like to know what key switch do I need and the size shouldnt be more than 2 cm or 3 I think. I would like to turnit on with just spining key and key comes back to start position. I would like to be able to pull out tke key from switch while pc is on. Help me pls and if you know give me ebay parts list.

Thanks!

yeah this was implemented on really old ibm computers back in the 90s maybe do some research on them and try finding a case with the key ignition?

failing that get a car ignition and try to wire that into your case!
good luck :)

1 minute ago, Archemis. said:

yeah this was implemented on really old ibm computers back in the 90s maybe do some research on them and try finding a case with the key ignition?

failing that get a car ignition and try to wire that into your case!
good luck :)

Thanks man, I am excited about my project.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2-wire+Ignition+Key.TRS0&_nkw=2-wire+Ignition+Key&_sacat=0

You can use about any 2 wire key switch.

Don't know if these will turn the key back to their start position so you might have to do that manually.

Breaking the contact won't turn off the PC and you can pull out the key.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

1 minute ago, Limecat86 said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2-wire+Ignition+Key.TRS0&_nkw=2-wire+Ignition+Key&_sacat=0

You can use about any 2 wire key switch.

Don't know if these will turn the key back to their start position so you might have to do that manually.

Breaking the contact won't turn off the PC and you can pull out the key.

Helpful thanks man

The old PC we had that did that had a lock out key that disabled the power button, not acted as one. 

In order for the key to act as one you will need it to be momentary, as otherwise you will either have to turn it immediately back or it will have the effect of holding the power button down.

Not many I have seen are momentary.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

13 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

The old PC we had that did that had a lock out key that disabled the power button, not acted as one. 

In order for the key to act as one you will need it to be momentary, as otherwise you will either have to turn it immediately back or it will have the effect of holding the power button down.

He could probably make a circuit that would change it into a momentary switch.

15 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Ebay also have plenty momentary key switches:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-FITS-XB2-BG61-22MM-1NO-2-Position-Momentary-Key-Select-Selector-Switch/172654540083?hash=item2833033533:g:GTsAAOxyAc1SSpip

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Key-Lock-Power-On-Off-On-Momentary-Key-Switch-44999/201617628235?hash=item2ef158dc4b:g:GwoAAOSw9N1V1LXZ

and many more...

33 minutes ago, MadsMøller said:

He could probably make a circuit that would change it into a momentary switch.

Probably not something to embark on as a beginner. The control could be an issue too. Maybe edge triggered. 

29 minutes ago, MadsMøller said:

I don't buy electronics from ebay and haven't looked at keyswitches in a long time. Last time I looked at a electronics retailer they were all ultra expensive and none were momentary. 

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

You don't need to mess around with momentary switches to make this work. A normal car ignition switch is exactly what the OP wants and this is a simple first mod to do. With a car ignition switch when you turn the key all the way to start a connection is made and it turn on the starter motor. There is a spring in the ignition that pushes against the key and tries to turn it back to on so you half to hold the key to use the starter motor. After you let go of the key it springs back to on and the connection is broken. To use this system in a PC all you have to do is put one wire for the power button on the ignition's common and the other wire on start. That way when you turn the key to start the power button will be held down and as soon as you release the key the power button will be released. With the key in the on position no contact will be made and it will not affect the PC. In that state you can turn the key to off and remove it if you want. I have attached a rough drawing of how to wire the system with an option to keep the normal power button.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-IGNITION-SWITCH-LOCK-FLUSH-MOUNT-12-VOLT-2-KEY-3-POSITION-OFF-ON-START/272106578888?epid=1054512195&hash=item3f5ad0e3c8:g:2ocAAOSwCypWmbcj&vxp=mtr

key power.jpg