is it possible to in some janky way wire up a desktop gpu to a laptop motherboard?

the title says it all!

ive been having this idea recently to make some sort of ricer laptop. ie; a crappy general name brand early 2000nds laptop, looks awful on the outside, but has the specs of a gaming beast, most likely by way of morphing either a micro atx setup or from a doner gaming laptop, with the screen replaced with a repair one off of either ebay or amazon. ive found a ton of terrible 50-200$ 15" laptops to use as a base, and quite a few cheap gaming laptops and micro atx/ mini nvidia gpus, and was wondering if something like this would be feasible at all whatsoever!

possible specs may include;

i7 (TBD)

24-32 gigs ram

120 gig ssd & 1tb hard drive or external storage

nvidia gtx 1050-1080 (all work)

(motherboard TBD)

windows 10 OS
anything else i am currently forgetting

thoughts?

I think someone once managed to get a GPU working using a PCIe -> mPCIe cable. But it sucked on performance. So yeah.

Main Rig: EK custom loop |2700x @ 4.25 Ghz| Msi X470 Gaming Plus | 32gb DDR4 | Aorus GTX 1080ti @ 2088 Mhz | TT Core X71 TG | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb + 256gb Toshiba NVMe + 275GB Crucial m.2

Laptop: Surface Book 2 15" |  i7 8650U 4.2 GHz | 16gb DDR3L | GTX 1060 6gb | 265GB NVMe SSD

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jvNnH

4 minutes ago, Acrain7 said:

the title says it all!

ive been having this idea recently to make some sort of ricer laptop. ie; a crappy general name brand early 2000nds laptop, looks awful on the outside, but has the specs of a gaming beast, most likely by way of morphing either a micro atx setup or from a doner gaming laptop, with the screen replaced with a repair one off of either ebay or amazon. ive found a ton of terrible 50-200$ 15" laptops to use as a base, and quite a few cheap gaming laptops and micro atx/ mini nvidia gpus, and was wondering if something like this would be feasible at all whatsoever!

possible specs may include;

i7 (TBD)

24-32 gigs ram

120 gig ssd & 1tb hard drive or external storage

nvidia gtx 1050-1080 (all work)

(motherboard TBD)

windows 10 OS
anything else i am currently forgetting

thoughts?

Its called a External GPU Array such as the razer cortex etc. They do offer them with different companies but since the gpu is most likely stronger than your whole laptop I'd say most if not all the time it wouldnt be worth it unless its a decent build, I'd say if its working scrap some parts, take the cpu, storage, gpu, and fit it in a desktop case. If not just buy a desktop laptops are great, but if its soul purpose is to game and dont travel pc. If its for travel and gaming, get a new laptop. 

That's not what ricer means...

A ricer laptop would be more like an overpriced flashy Alienware with low end specs and then bragging it has SLI desktop 1080's inside.

You can use one of the adapters that @Davidwr80 mentioned, but it's far from ideal.

You'd need an external power supply to power the GPU, as well as an external monitor to display the output on, as it wouldn't be possible to have it display on the laptop monitor.

Also the word you're looking for is "sleeper" not ricer.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

It is one of those things that yes it is possible you really just need PCI access somewhere on the laptop motherboard. And an external power of some kind to give power to the card over PCI.

If the laptop has Mini PCI-E it may works otherwise it might be a custom connection or directly solder on the board.
But you will need to technical know how like design spec on the laptop motherboard and a good understanding on how PCI works before even attempting such a thing. And even then your may need special equipment to solder/make custom cables and ends. etc..

Your basically at the point at the point where the time,effort, risk of hardware damage far out way the costs of just buying a expensive laptop, or building some micro desktop PC that is portable.

alright, based on the statements made above three things become clear;

one, the word sleeper is correct, whoops.

two, recently had the thought of just planting the entire internals of a acceptable gaming/high powered laptop inside of a terrible one, even possibly including the screen from said gaming/high powered laptop, or a replacement screen, which i know are sold cheap on ebay. 

and three, i should know the specs of both laptops, although less needed in the dea above.

note; im not talking about an external gpu, it would be more of a sleeper (used the correct word this time!) by what i have said in 'two' 

note x2; also in 'two' what i have said has yet to include any thought about power (could just drill a hole where the power input on the laptop's interior would fit on the outside shell of the donor laptop?) and keyboard, which ihavent a clue about.

You can do it. I did it for a while with a external PSU and 1050ti to try avoid buying a desktop, but it utterly sucked. I got 20% more performance out of the card in the desktop I bought after 3 months.

When my laptop dies, I will probably build a gaming PC into a backpack and have a gutted thin and light laptop with a thunderbolt/usb3.0 dock or something inside it to act as display, keyboard and mouse. If you did something wireless, then you could have the crappiest laptop possible, powered by some pretty wicked hardware...

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

cool idea, actually might try something like that... but how would you wirelessly run windows?...