New Gaming Monitors?

Danapsta

Hey all!

I'm debating on purchasing a new monitor for gaming only.  I'm on the fence between a few models, and I'm a little skeptical on how good they are in the current year.

I currently own an Acer XR341CK which I LOVE, but I admit it isn't the best as far as gaming goes.  I like how it can run at 75 hz vs 60hz, but I've recently ordered a new build which includes a 1080ti so I won't be able to take advantage of Freesync anymore (Currently I have an RX480).  I was able to tell a difference with the 75hz, but my card isn't enough to push the full resolution 100% in every game.

I've been looking at some 144hz displays, but a lot of what I'm seeing are 4+ years old.  Also, I'm stuck between high-refresh ultra-wide displays and standard 16:9 monitors.

Here is mainly what I've been looking at

BenQ XR3501: 144hz Ultrawide

LG 34uC89G-B: 144+hz Ultrawide

ASUS ROG PG279Q: 144+hz 16:9

Acer XB271HU: 144hz 16:9

I've never had a display with a low response time or high refresh rates (Above 75hz).  From my research it seems like the ultra-wide displays have a higher overall response time (input lag + pixel response), but the 16:9s are fairly old.  The reviews I've seen for the Asus and Acer displays date back to nearly 2013.  I also want a display with G-sync to take full advantage of my new card.

Another Ultra-wide would compliment my setup nicely, but how far behind are these displays from the regular 16:9 ones?  Also, is there any rumor of new displays getting released?  I feel like something revolutionary should have been released in the past four years. 

I would really like a 1440p display, but I've noticed pretty much all of the ultra-wide options going down to 1080 with high-refresh.  I'm not so sure how I would feel about that since my current display is a higher resolution.  Also, I'm wondering if my 1080ti can even push the majority of games past 144 fps at 1440p anyways.

Edit: I also stream so my plan is to game on this secondary monitor and have my streaming apps on the existing ultra-wide.  Previously, I've had an issue with making 21:9 ratio look good on twitch even though I personally prefer using it.  

I believe I've read that you can OC the monitor to 100hz. Might be worth looking into.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

IMO get one of the high end UW's with G-sync

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I'm not a fan of 1080p monitors > 27 inches. I feel like anything less than 1440p on a large monitor is a waste. For me, that would rule out the LG and BenQ.

What graphics card do you have? G-sync comes with a huge premium. You could find much better monitors without having it a requirement.

If I'm able to overclock the monitor I have then I'm unaware of it.  I looked into it awhile back, but it looked like the X34 was one able to be overclocked.  I'll have to look again though.

I'm wondering myself how bad it would look at 1080, but I haven't had any experience with a 1080 display larger than 24" (unless you count TVs.  I don't).  I would really like a 144hz 1440p ultra-wide, but those don't seem to exist yet.

I would love to find something around $500, but none of my options are close to that.  My limit is $1000.  I don't want to go over that again.

I will be running a 1080ti once it comes in.  I know G-sync is going to be more expensive, but I think it would benefit me.  I like to crank the settings on my single-player games, and I'm not sure the 1080ti is going to push over 140 fps all the time.  Especially if I get a 1440p display.

Comming from an LG 29UM58-P I went with the LG 34UC89G-B and received it yesterday. I think it's an amazing screen overal though. The only downside is it's resolution. 2560x1080 is a bit meager for a 34 inch size screen, I'll admit to that but in return you get a butter smooth 144Hz gameplay. And G-Sync got your back if some games wont do 144FPS. I tried it with The Witcher 3 last night and didn't see any tearing or stuttering with my GTX 1080 pumping out around 90 frames per second.

I'm pretty exited to try more games on it tonight.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

Thanks for all the responses.  I think I'm going to have to try some of these out before making a decision.  I don't think the lower resolution will bother me too much, but then again I'm pretty used to 1440p.

I'm going to sleep on this one a few more times before making a decision.