A bit of a rant regarding my school and TurnItIn.com

SilicateWielder

So to start things off, a lot of classes in my school borrow ideas from colleges for educating students, such as RLH assignments for History. Now, mind you I do not mind this as most teachers are really reasonable about it. However in English we have these assignments called essentials, they're mandatory assignments that, even if worth 5 points, can fail you for the year, these would not be a problem if it weren't for how we're expected to turn these in which is via a website called TurnItIn.com. Here is where my problem lies, TurnItIn for some reason doesn't actually submit your assignment after clicking Submit. I'm sure you're asking yourself, "but then how do you get your assignments in then?" well, once on the page saying you've turned in your document, you then have to click the "Return to page" button for it to actually be turned in, and this almost always trips me up. I cannot count how many times I've had assignments not go through and then having to scramble weeks later to turn it in before the end of the school day. It's extremely frustrating and I'm so close to just shutting down in that class at the moment.

Anyway, with that off of my chest, It's time I suck it up and pray to the file recovery gods that my current essential will be recovered from my laptop given my backup drive died. I have until tomorrow to make the absolute deadline for this assignment and redoing it isn't an option at this point.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

That's a strange occurrence... I used turnitin during High school, and things all turned out just fine for me... The only problem I had was the last essay I turned in was 99% plagiarized because I just used my brother's essay for when he took the class. 

9_9

I never had to click return, but I may have done it in the past to make sure it submitted, though I didn't have to... 

14 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

So to start things off, a lot of classes in my school borrow ideas from colleges for educating students, such as RLH assignments for History. Now, mind you I do not mind this as most teachers are really reasonable about it. However in English we have these assignments called essentials, they're mandatory assignments that, even if worth 5 points, can fail you for the year, these would not be a problem if it weren't for how we're expected to turn these in which is via a website called TurnItIn.com. Here is where my problem lies, TurnItIn for some reason doesn't actually submit your assignment after clicking Submit. I'm sure you're asking yourself, "but then how do you get your assignments in then?" well, once on the page saying you've turned in your document, you then have to click the "Return to page" button for it to actually be turned in, and this almost always trips me up. I cannot count how many times I've had assignments not go through and then having to scramble weeks later to turn it in before the end of the school day. It's extremely frustrating and I'm so close to just shutting down in that class at the moment.

Anyway, with that off of my chest, It's time I suck it up and pray to the file recovery gods that my current essential will be recovered from my laptop given my backup drive died. I have until tomorrow to make the absolute deadline for this assignment and redoing it isn't an option at this point.

I guess I should feel lucky I'm currently using Canvas. LON-CAPA though, could be one of the most hated e-learning platforms. Even something simple like an extra space in front of your equation could fail you. You would imagine the developers would've thought of removing spaces in front of the string before comparing the answers, but nope. And these are the types of errors even TAs won't be able to spot because your answer is right. It's just that the system doesn't like it.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I always turned in assignments in in-person regardless.

But that was me.

If they refused to accept the completed assignment being handed to them I would pull out a form I made I called "I am refusing your assignment" and have them sign and date it, after the first time I made a copy gave it to the teacher/professor and gave the original to the front office. That stopped that real quick. Never had an issue after.

Lol.

*edit 

but about that site that makes you hit return before submitting that is asinine. Submit means "submit" not que for submitting. dumb.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

that site is fucking cancer.

every single one of my assignments was emailed directly to my teacher instead of going through that shit.

half the time it wouldnt load, the other half it wouldnt actually submit it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

The only issue I have with turnitin is the plagiarism crap. I've sourced things, quoted things, and it just makes it overall look bad when it says something like 25% .plagiarized 

I have a habit of double checking and triple checking.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I have it linked to this app called schoology, which my school set up, and I can link it with my google drive assignments, and it makes turning in online assignments so easy, and I've never had a single issue with it. It even lets me view a receipt saying it's been submitted.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I HAVE HAD THIS EXACT PROBLEM. I have a chromebook for school (what I use for these forums) and it is absolute trash. While I like the computer I hate the software on it. I also have to turn stuff in to turnitin. com and it always tells me that I'm plagiarizing when Im just quoting. We also have this app called securly directly installed on the chromebooks and we cant take it off. It literally blocks everything and anything that does not have the word homework or help in it (Im exaggerating of course). On top of that our school is weirdly concerned with copyright and they set the google search rules permanently to use Labeled for reuse with modification which basically cuts your results in half and gives you all of the worst things. I really hate having over-concerned 40 year olds run the decision making (I know they think its for our own good). Luckily this forum somehow isn't blocked

Also now that I look at this I realize that I ranted more about my school and the chromebooks lol.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(