Another new phone recommendation thread

Pitou

So i'm looking into a new phone, i have the s6 and love it but its starting to fail on me. Here is the problem im having. I do not want the new galaxy, the curved display is awful and looks bad, i will not return to the galaxy series until they scrap it period. Oneplus is currently out of stock so that is a no go because i need it relatively soon (within the next 2 weeks). I was going to go with the google pixel xl 2 but now all these problems are starting to pop up with it. I'm thinking about just getting over myself and getting the iphone since it meets most the requirements I need but I hate apple's business practices with all my heart and soul and historically have refused to buy/use their products. Bellow is the list of things that i absolutely need.

Clean simplistic look - such as the iphone 7 plus, ill be looking at this thing all day i don't wanna hate its looks

long battery life - i want to be able to brows social media, watch youtube, and listen to music for a good amount of the day without having to charge it twice

android 8.0 Oreo - i dont want to have to wait 6 months to a year for this update as it has many of the features i've been asking for for a while now. I don't mind having to wait a month or so though 

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.

What about the Galaxy S8 active?

Have you looked at other brands?

LG G6

Huawei Mate 10

Essential Phone

11 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

ooooooh i like that a lot, are you able to convert it to normal android vs their own version? also is amazon the only play to get it?

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.

32 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Depends what you mean by 'convert'

An alternative stock Android OS provided by manufacturer? No one does that.

To make the OS look like stock Android? You can install alternative launchers.

To install your own ROM? There's just this and one other ROM on XDA at the moment. Basically debloated and pre-rooted variants of the manufacturer's stock OS. You can't get updates from Huawei if you're on a custom ROM.

I see what retailers sell it?

The LG g6 or v30 are your best options they have a bad looking lancher but you can always replace that. I'd stay away from anything hawei the UI is pretty crappy

Welp, I hate to say it, but curved screens are going to be a thing soon. Might as well try to get used to it.

Good thing is that flat screens aren’t phased out just yet.

The LG G6 is a solid option that’s now selling at a good price, although you do get last year’s processor (still very capable though). If you don’t mind big-ass bezels, the standard Pixel 2 is also not a bad option. Sony’s XZ1 is expensive but it’s turning out to be a good option or the larger XZ Premium, which has just started receiving Android Oreo.

If you still want a Galaxy, try getting an S8 Active if you’re on Big Orange or Little Magenta (AT&T or T-Mobile). It’s basically an S8 without the curved screen and glass back with a bigger battery. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1