IoT_Reaper Botnet At 2+ Million Infected Devices

Lurick
50 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yep, good job google

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is why I believe in a philosophy of making existing technologies as simple as possible. There's no conceivable reason to have tried and true home appliance designs plagued by an artificial complexity.

I just don't want to be seen as not innovative either.

39 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

This is why I believe in a philosophy of making existing technologies as simple as possible. There's no conceivable reason to have tried and true home appliance designs plagued by an artificial complexity.

Pretty much this... There is no reason for IoT to exist, just a fake market created by tech companies to milk customers even further for basically nothing.

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Pretty much this... There is no reason for IoT to exist, just a fake market created by tech companies to milk customers even further for basically nothing.

Customers create a demand and companies respond. Nobody is being forced by companies to buy any IoT devices.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Customers create a demand and companies respond. Nobody is being forced by companies to buy any IoT devices.

Or some company created them then hyped them up using the usual marketing BS to get r=1 users to jump on it...

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Or some company created them then hyped them up using the usual marketing BS to get r=1 users to jump on it...

And? There have been tons of things hyped up by companies that fall flat.

If customers continue to buy and invest into a market there isn't anything "fake" about it. Fake would be a company claiming there are millions of their devices on the internet and out there when in fact that are only a few thousand.

There are also tons of reasons for IoT to exist, what isn't acceptable and should not exist is lax security and a willingness to put an internet connection on every toaster, oven, and thing in existence without proper security. Security should be baked into these devices and added convenience can come later.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

17 minutes ago, Lurick said:

And? There have been tons of things hyped up by companies that fall flat.

If customers continue to buy and invest into a market there isn't anything "fake" about it. Fake would be a company claiming there are millions of their devices on the internet and out there when in fact that are only a few thousand.

There are also tons of reasons for IoT to exist, what isn't acceptable and should not exist is lax security and a willingness to put an internet connection on every toaster, oven, and thing in existence without proper security. Security should be baked into these devices and added convenience can come later.

Its artificially created thats why i called it fake market, but whatever... And i see more reason to kill IoT rather than let it spread like a cancer and cause major trouble's. Security wont be a priority for companies since consumers want convenience. And this wont change because if a company goes for security but not as convenient as other products consumers will ditch that company. Little they know/care that they just made the wrong decision. These things are an unnecessary attack vector, and seeing how supporting a product in long term isnt a thing as time goes by it will get even worse...

Edited by jagdtigger

21 hours ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

Ugh, my mums chromebook has been acting 'wierd' for the last week or so. I bet she's managed to get something like this on it, specifically bought her that thing because it seemed like it would be hard to break. :D

highly doubtful. Not only is it running Linux which requires you to mark a file as executable something you cant do from the gui of a chrome book, to actually mark a file you would need to unable developer mode and open the terminal and even then there are so few things installed, not even python I doubt it would run any way.

if it is actually acting weird then it will be 99.9999% a setting that's been changed by mistake or a bug. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 10/21/2017 at 4:41 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

This is why I don't have any IoT products and I don't plan on getting some anytime soon. :P

Even if they were perfectly secure they would still only exist to collect your data.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

On 10/21/2017 at 5:22 PM, ARikozuM said:

Am I the only one here who has placed all my smart locks and devices (TV's, fridge, etc.) onto a closed network with no internet access unless opened by me? Surely, I can't be. 

Conceivably, it should be possible to place your IoT devices on a subnet that has no internet access, but can still be accessed externally with proper authentication (in other words, they can't get out but you can remote in to them from an external source).

On 10/22/2017 at 3:54 AM, leadeater said:

Need to be far more obscure.

hqdefault.jpg

Even better:

11 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Now imagine if Microsoft ran a promo like that for Windows 10 today.... (Golly promos were so different then) Kinda miss promos being more technical but I would be a niche target to advertise to too.

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Now imagine if Microsoft ran a promo like that for Windows 10 today.... (Golly promos were so different then) Kinda miss promos being more technical but I would be a niche target to advertise to too.

Did you perchance make it through to the rap? :D 

You'll never look at a Microsoft ad the same way again (and you'll never be able to forget 'Wi-Wi-Windows, Wi-Wi-Windows, Windows 386!").

Just now, Jito463 said:

Did you perchance make it through to the rap? :D 

You'll never look at a Microsoft ad the same way again (and you'll never be able to forget 'Wi-Wi-Windows, Wi-Wi-Windows, Windows 386!").

I made it past the rap... but quit after that. Yah, your right, I will never look at their ads the same way ever again.