Dell Optiplex 740

Hi all,

I need help, I am trying to change the power supply for my old desktop which is Dell Optiplex 740 with a regular 450 watt PSU but the CPU does not boot at all.. Reason is recently i upgraded the graphics to gtx1050ti SFF(Modified Bracket) which does not need any additional supply but the built in PSU does not support it hence PSU change is necessary. Please advise thanks..

Did you plug in the 4-pin CPU power?

Seems obvious, but hey... I've seen my share of people who should know better forget it.

A 450w PSU should be able to power your system, maybe the motherboard doesn't support the 1050Ti's wattage?

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

3 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Did you plug in the 4-pin CPU power?

Seems obvious, but hey... I've seen my share of people who should know better forget it.

Yes. All the cables were connected as necessary.

3 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

A 450w PSU should be able to power your system, maybe the motherboard doesn't support the 1050Ti's wattage?

Removing the GTX 1050 ti still gives the same issue.

1 minute ago, Zayir said:

Removing the GTX 1050 ti still gives the same issue.

Do you have any other graphics cards? If you do, then we know that the graphics card isn't the problem.

Edit: Does the PC have integrated graphics?

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

3 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Do you have any other graphics cards? If you do, then we know that the graphics card isn't the problem.

Used to have an old quadro fx 380 lp  and that seems to be working perfectly with OLD PSU but not with new one.

Just now, Zayir said:

Used to have an old quadro fx 380 lp  and that seems to be working perfectly with OLD PSU but not with new one.

Try reconnecting all the power supply cables. There's a chance you plugged in the pcie power cable into the CPU power connector.

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

4 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Try reconnecting all the power supply cables. There's a chance you plugged in the pcie power cable into the CPU power connector.

trying now. 

28 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

So a six pin in a for 4pin hole. Lady's....

there is a chance that your gpu needs a UEFI BIOS instead of legacy.

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

2 minutes ago, Swealteek said:

So a six pin in a for 4pin hole. Lady's....

there is a chance that your gpu needs a UEFI BIOS instead of legacy.

I've seen a 4pin PCIe connector and 4pin CPU connector in my old Dell, and an 8pin PCIe and 8pin CPU in newer builds. I'd say it's completely reasonable.

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

34 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Did not work still the same. JUst to try i connected my old PSU and the CPU booted properly but not with the new one., WHY?

does your motherboard even have standard connectors? your system could not be booting because you dont have the right connectors on your system

take a pic of your motherboard, a lot of OEM motherboards have proprietary connectors and even though it looks the same, it could have different functions, also a 240w power supply is plenty for a 1050ti since it doesnt have any additional power inputs but you also have to consider the fact that your system could have the wattage limited by dell to 50w instead of the full 75w PCIe is supposed to supply

desktops like that are designed for general office use with the most powerful graphics card being put in there being a HD5450 for multiple monitors and there is a good chance that the parts you bought for your computer are incompatible

overall you should just upgrade your system to a standard computer instead of trying to make this dell work for gaming cause there is a good chance it wont

you could try a gt1030 but if you are having issues with your 1050ti im willing to bet you will have issues with the gt1030

We need pictures. Specifically the CPU  connector. The cable should be marked CPU or ATX+12. I suspect you may be plugging a PCI cable in instead.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Going from memory so don't quote me exactly on this but I was looking at getting my nephew a cheap Dell Optiplex with an I5 and putting in a GTX 1050ti for his first cheap gaming setup.  While I was reading up on it the Dell Optiplex model 7010 I was looking at, the motherboard PCI-e only supports up to 35w.  I believe GTX 1050ti draws 75w.   I assume you are running into a problem that the motherboard can't power the GPU.

Ryzen 2600 - Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - 

AsRock B450 PRO4 - Deepcool Earlkase Case -  Seasonic Foucus+ 650

On 10/22/2017 at 11:12 PM, Reznik said:

Going from memory so don't quote me exactly on this but I was looking at getting my nephew a cheap Dell Optiplex with an I5 and putting in a GTX 1050ti for his first cheap gaming setup.  While I was reading up on it the Dell Optiplex model 7010 I was looking at, the motherboard PCI-e only supports up to 35w.  I believe GTX 1050ti draws 75w.   I assume you are running into a problem that the motherboard can't power the GPU.

I eventually contacted Dell and they told the same. Hence sold the pc without the card.