Help me pick 1080 ti ;)

CookieMaster

Hi, I need help picking out my 1080 ti. 

So I was looking at the Stix oc 

The msi Seahawk

Evga cards - they have like a million versions idk which one. 

I'm not sure if I should go for a liquid cooled or air cooled. And I guess the software would be a factor too when picking. Do I have to overlclock in afterburner or does it come with software with pre defined profiles for overclocking.  I plan on overclocking it, as long as it don't cause screen tearing. (Like how my current crossfire overclock is right now with some games :( )

PS sorry for the bad spelling etc , typing on a phone and man can I not type on a phone 

Just looking for some input, I know a lot of these cards have the same fps about. Oh btw, must be available and have a 2-3 warranty or a option to choose one, some places I'd buy at are Newegg, Amazon, Best buy, b&h..

If you go AIO, the EVGA Hybrid SC2 is fantastic. Not the best value, but it stays cool & overclocks like a champ.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

If you go AIO, the EVGA Hybrid SC2 is fantastic. Not the best value, but it stays cool & overclocks like a champ.

I was looking at that. And that reminds me mention I want an aio, not looking to cool it myself. Does it come with software? 

EVGA iCX FTW or EVGA iCX FTW.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

EVGA iCX FTW hands down.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, CookieMaster said:

I was looking at that. And that reminds me mention I want an aio, not looking to cool it myself. Does it come with software? 

Precision XOC if you want to use the sensors. MSI afterburner, etc... work as well.

Don't be to concerned about software. You can use whatever overclocking software you want just get a card that has amazing cooling. My vote goes to the Asus Strix or EVGA iCX FTW. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

But that's the same thing twice :P

The MSI Lightning is the best IMO, but the cooler is huge. I'd go waterblock myself.

2 minutes ago, CookieMaster said:

But that's the same thing twice :P

It's the correct choice twice! :)

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

16 minutes ago, CookieMaster said:

Hi, I need help picking out my 1080 ti. 

So I was looking at the Stix oc 

The msi Seahawk

Evga cards - they have like a million versions idk which one. 

I'm not sure if I should go for a liquid cooled or air cooled. And I guess the software would be a factor too when picking. Do I have to overlclock in afterburner or does it come with software with pre defined profiles for overclocking.  I plan on overclocking it, as long as it don't cause screen tearing. (Like how my current crossfire overclock is right now with some games :( )

PS sorry for the bad spelling etc , typing on a phone and man can I not type on a phone 

Just looking for some input, I know a lot of these cards have the same fps about. Oh btw, must be available and have a 2-3 warranty or a option to choose one, some places I'd buy at are Newegg, Amazon, Best buy, b&h..

I would go for the Asus, maybe an aftermarket watercooler? That strix shit is liiiiit

Zotac's AMP edition has three fans and has the highest factory overclock. 

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

3 hours ago, TheKDub said:

EVGA iCX FTW hands down.

Can agree with this. EVGA fixed the mistake they made with the 1080 cards not being shipped with thermal pads. They overdid it in this version to ensure they wouldn't make the same mistake twice. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

6 hours ago, Colty said:

Zotac's AMP edition has three fans and has the highest factory overclock. 

Factory overclocks don’t really mean anything because of GPU Boost 3.0. Personally, haven’t been a big fan of zotac cards. A little too “goddy” for me. My vote goes to the EVGA FTW3 or SC2. Both are great cards.

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

11 minutes ago, KSP said:

Factory overclocks don’t really mean anything because of GPU Boost 3.0. Personally, haven’t been a big fan of zotac cards. A little too “goddy” for me. My vote goes to the EVGA FTW3 or SC2. Both are great cards.

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/7385/16/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-round-up-which-one-is-the-best-noise-levels-and-temperatures

If we're talking about a long term investment of which one to get, even the small increase in performance/better cooling says to go Gigabyte, Asus, or MSI. As for performance, the difference is small for 1080p, but it can make a small difference for 4k, combine that with EVGA's worse cooling and I can't understand why people still recommend the EVGA 1080Ti cards. They certainly aren't bad, but they're just not as good as the competition. 

I see a lot of people saying evga ftw or sc2 but should I go with that or their aio solution (hybrid) 

I also see Asus strix 

I also have a Asus Mobo so I could sync my rbg with that but not sure if I should go with an aio 

5 hours ago, Colty said:

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/7385/16/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-round-up-which-one-is-the-best-noise-levels-and-temperatures

If we're talking about a long term investment of which one to get, even the small increase in performance/better cooling says to go Gigabyte, Asus, or MSI. As for performance, the difference is small for 1080p, but it can make a small difference for 4k, combine that with EVGA's worse cooling and I can't understand why people still recommend the EVGA 1080Ti cards. They certainly aren't bad, but they're just not as good as the competition. 

It’s true that EVGA’s cooling is worse compared to others, but really isn’t that significant, maybe some FPS here and there, but nothing to ruin your gaming experience. The reason why I still recommend it is because of their amazing support. Sure, you might not never need to use it, but it’s great to know you’ve got it when you need it. I was once installing an EKWB on a GTX 1080 FTW, and later found out I must have messed up somewhere and the card died. EVGA TO THE RESCUE! I put back the original cooler the best I could and then they replaced it with a brand new shiny FTW. That’s why I stick with EVGA for GPUs.

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

1 hour ago, CookieMaster said:

I see a lot of people saying evga ftw or sc2 but should I go with that or their aio solution (hybrid) 

I also see Asus strix 

I also have a Asus Mobo so I could sync my rbg with that but not sure if I should go with an aio 

If you have the money and really care about noise/thermals, the Hybrid cards are amazing. I have a FTW3 Hybrid myself, and it’s an amazing card. If you’re not too worried about noise/thermals, the FTW3 and SC2 cards are, as someone mentioned above, a much better value.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

2 hours ago, KSP said:

If you have the money and really care about noise/thermals, the Hybrid cards are amazing. I have a FTW3 Hybrid myself, and it’s an amazing card. If you’re not too worried about noise/thermals, the FTW3 and SC2 cards are, as someone mentioned above, a much better value.

They are / or have released a new card (evga) with both sexy RGB and water cooling for 850, for just water cooling or strix it's 800 and for the other cards it's about 750. I guess I should care about the noise, I do have a crossfire setup with 3k rpm fans x6 (3 per gpu) and it's like a damn jet engine. And I find my self worrying about my system temps a lot. Thanks for the input 

I just got a Gigabyte (Aorus) Waterforce, the full block version, not the AIO version.

Oddly enough, it was cheaper than a lot of the air cooled cards.  I'm not sure if it is miners driving the prices of air cooled cards up or just that there is less demand for the cards due to the niche market for custom water loop equipment.

Hard to say.

Obviously, I got gouged for being British so I can't speak for the prices where you live but overall I am happy with my purchase.

I haven't messed with it yet but I am seeing minimum frame rates of 70 and max of 140+ on GTA V at 2560x1440.  Everything on maximum except the AA.

At that resolution I haven't noticed any jaggies so I'll leave it on low.

I was loving the card until my friend asked me to log on to Borderlands 2 to help him level up a bit and was getting 24 fps and less in fights.

I was furious and confused until I did a bit of research.

Some old drivers and some messing about in the .ini files and I am seeing 300+, stupid unoptimised garbage.

I have a soft spot for EVGA and I was really close to getting the Hydro Copper for its stealth looks but the price difference edged me out in the end and I have been able to turn the worst of the RGB off and just leave it on a steady, dim green glow.

I know it isn't relevant if you don't go custom loop but my temps haven't gone above 45 degrees (metric).

If you have any specific questions about the card, let me know....

On 10/21/2017 at 6:33 PM, amateurstuntman said:

I just got a Gigabyte (Aorus) Waterforce, the full block version, not the AIO version.

Oddly enough, it was cheaper than a lot of the air cooled cards.  I'm not sure if it is miners driving the prices of air cooled cards up or just that there is less demand for the cards due to the niche market for custom water loop equipment.

Hard to say.

Obviously, I got gouged for being British so I can't speak for the prices where you live but overall I am happy with my purchase.

I haven't messed with it yet but I am seeing minimum frame rates of 70 and max of 140+ on GTA V at 2560x1440.  Everything on maximum except the AA.

At that resolution I haven't noticed any jaggies so I'll leave it on low.

I was loving the card until my friend asked me to log on to Borderlands 2 to help him level up a bit and was getting 24 fps and less in fights.

I was furious and confused until I did a bit of research.

Some old drivers and some messing about in the .ini files and I am seeing 300+, stupid unoptimised garbage.

I have a soft spot for EVGA and I was really close to getting the Hydro Copper for its stealth looks but the price difference edged me out in the end and I have been able to turn the worst of the RGB off and just leave it on a steady, dim green glow.

I know it isn't relevant if you don't go custom loop but my temps haven't gone above 45 degrees (metric).

If you have any specific questions about the card, let me know....

Thanks for your input. Forgot to mention that I did buy the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID GAMING, 11G-P4-6698-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, HYBRID & RGB LED, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors. I was able to get approved for a 1 year loan payment with my college student credit some how with some little down payment. Thank you all for your input.