Should I replace my laptop with an ipad?

cw49327

Discuss what if you would replace a laptop with an ipad and which one should I choose

I currently have a $340 Dell Laptop that has a quad core Pentium running It, 4GB of RAM, 250GB SSD and is two years old, I was wondering if you think I should replace it with the new 2017 ipad?

26 minutes ago, cw49327 said:

I currently have a $340 Dell Laptop that has a quad core Pentium running It, 4GB of RAM, 250GB SSD and is two years old, I was wondering if you think I should replace it with the new 2017 ipad?

it would depend on a lot of factors like what you need the preferred device to do.

6 minutes ago, TopHatTom said:

Are you Insane?!?!? Mate, Laptop. 

Well, I need something light (under a kilo) easy to use and quick for school. 

1 minute ago, cw49327 said:

if you're using it for school, you'll want a proper keyboard, would still suggest a laptop, there are some very light ones these days

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, cw49327 said:

Yeah, my old school decided to go with iPads for a school devices. The dude who started it got fired. Trust me, laptop is the way to go. Look at something like a chromebook. 

A proper keyboard is nice. Much nicer than a case/keyboard for a tablet. For school work, you don't need anything particularly powerful, just something thin, light, and with decent battery life. I personally use this HP Envy 13 x360 for my college classes. But you can absolutely get something cheaper than this that will fit the bill. I got mine refurbished (basically new) at Fry's Electronics for about $900 USD.

I don't think an iPad is a good PC replacement. I bought an iPad pro a couple of months ago and I find myself using my laptop more than the iPad. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

2 hours ago, TopHatTom said:

Yeah, my old school decided to go with iPads for a school devices. The dude who started it got fired. Trust me, laptop is the way to go. Look at something like a chromebook. 

My sisters school started using ipads with the new students that joined in September and I can see where the issues are coming from. If the child's parent couldn't afford an iPad they had to use books which lead to bullying etc..

I don't think the person that brought it in got fired though

5 hours ago, ElZamo92 said:

I don't think an iPad is a good PC replacement. I bought an iPad pro a coupl of month ago and I fin myself using my laptop more than the ipad. 

The thing is, I plan on completely replacing my laptop with an ipad 

On 19/10/2017 at 4:45 PM, TacticlTwinkie said:

A proper keyboard is nice. Much nicer than a case/keyboard for a tablet. For school work, you don't need anything particularly powerful, just something thin, light, and with decent battery life. I personally use this HP Envy 13 x360 for my college classes. But you can absolutely get something cheaper than this that will fit the bill. I got mine refurbished (basically new) at Fry's Electronics for about $900 USD.

What about an ipad pro 9.7 because i need it for just web browsing for school

Depends on your needs.

I’d still say a decent laptop is a better bet because there are even basic things a proper computer can do better than a tablet running a mobile OS

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1