Got a new receiver (Denon 4300) now my speakers sound extremely bright

Profoundsoup

Long story short, I have a pair of JBL Studio Floorstands and I was driving them off a Denon 920 for about a year now but I wanted more power...Last week I upgraded to the Denon 4300 and it's amazing but now my speakers sound so bright sounding but so much more detailed. I assume it amplifying the speakers native sound but I'm not sure if that's the case or the Denon Receiver is that extremely bright and detailed sounding...I'm getting to the point where it hurts to listen at loud volumes. Any advice guys?

You should check the calibration settings. Make sure you run the calibration if you haven't yet done so. Then check your settings to make sure the crossover isn't set too high. Also you can reroute the bass to your front speakers if you don't own a subwoofer.

Welcome to the big boys league!

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

You should check the calibration settings. Make sure you run the calibration if you haven't yet done so. Then check your settings to make sure the crossover isn't set too high. Also you can reroute the bass to your front speakers if you don't own a subwoofer.

Welcome to the big boys league!

I have ran Audessy x32 and everything looks good. I'll redo it tonight and see if it changes

21 minutes ago, Profoundsoup said:

I have ran Audessy x32 and everything looks good. I'll redo it tonight and see if it changes

Are you in a true theater environment or are you doing this at your desk? Because it's not really designed for desk use.

I won't lie to you though, I did go from a cheapo Yamaha to an X3200 last year and the bass was quite anemic by comparison. I was a bit surprised. But like you, I noticed the greater clarity in the highs. I picked up a second hand Emotiva amplifier and that helped bring out a lot more bass and mid tones from my speakers.

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Are you in a true theater environment or are you doing this at your desk? Because it's not really designed for desk use.

I won't lie to you though, I did go from a cheapo Yamaha to an X3200 last year and the bass was quite anemic by comparison. I was a bit surprised. But like you, I noticed the greater clarity in the highs. I picked up a second hand Emotiva amplifier and that helped bring out a lot more bass and mid tones from my speakers.

Lol yes sir I'm in my home theater room. Also I have seen a bunch of people run separate amps but I'm quite unfamiliar with how the whole connection process would go for the receiver.

31 minutes ago, Profoundsoup said:

Lol yes sir I'm in my home theater room. Also I have seen a bunch of people run separate amps but I'm quite unfamiliar with how the whole connection process would go for the receiver.

Good! I only ask because I recently purchased a miniDSP and tried calibrating my listening position at my desk. My results were very mixed. 

Adding a dedicated amp is prettt straightforward. Just like with subwoofers... You connect the RCA pre-outs from your receiver to the amp, and you plug the speakers directly into the amp. This takes the load off the receiver and it effectively acts as a processor. The biggest downside is you have to buy an amp large enough to accommodate your speakers (enough channels) and an RCA cable for each channel. 

When I started using an amp, I  enabled the the eco mode on my X3200. It helped reduce a ton of heat output since the amp in the receiver was no longer needed. I guess that's one positive.

I would start looking into an amp in about 3 to 6 months. You will be surprised at the improvement in sound quality and bass.