Why linux no boot?

Go to solution Solved by Tech N Gamer,
1 minute ago, flowalex said:

I don't think they will add that to the official downloads, before Pop!_OS I would manually compile the Nvidia drivers.  The reason it has the drivers is that it makes their systems easier to ship, example of one of their computers (Oryx Pro).  I was looking at some stuff about KDE and Nvidia there seems to be some performance and other issues with it.  

I don't think it's an issue with just KDE, I've tried Mint, KDE Neon, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and ElementaryOS. Those are really the only Linux Distro's I know of and they all didn't want to boot. But I did find this article while waiting for Pop to install. https://askubuntu.com/questions/127305/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-a-computer-with-a-nvidia-geforce-gtx-550-ti I'm going to see if this works before I commit and say that I found an answer.

So I've tried again to try and re-install Linux and get Windows and Linux to live in harmony. At least I'm trying, but Linux just doesn't want to boot to the installer. If I make a bootable Windows installer the computer is able to boot to that just fine, but when it's Linux, well. The screen prints things out normally at first but then quickly snowballs in an instant. The screen starts to glitch out and words get so scrambled that it's unreadable and I've done everything from taking the drive that Window's is installed on out, to turning off safe boot. Any advice/help on this. I'm not that savvy with Linux yet.

Brah, do you even Java?

Are you trying to boot as UEFI mode or legacy mode?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Are you trying to boot as UEFI mode or legacy mode?

UEFI

Brah, do you even Java?

11 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

So I've tried again to try and re-install Linux and get Windows and Linux to live in harmony. At least I'm trying, but Linux just doesn't want to boot to the installer. If I make a bootable Windows installer the computer is able to boot to that just fine, but when it's Linux, well. The screen prints things out normally at first but then quickly snowballs in an instant. The screen starts to glitch out and words get so scrambled that it's unreadable and I've done everything from taking the drive that Window's is installed on out, to turning off safe boot. Any advice/help on this. I'm not that savvy with Linux yet.

Does it give any kind of error?

Just now, Raziq_26 said:

I'm sure it does, but the screen corruption happens so fast that I cannot remember quickly. After I'm done moving things around in Windows I'll test and record to get the error messages.

Brah, do you even Java?

16 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

UEFI

Try legacy.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

43 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Try legacy.

Wouldn't that mess up Windows?

Brah, do you even Java?

43 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Try legacy.

Wouldn't that mess up Windows?

Brah, do you even Java?

What version of Linux are you trying to install, on my laptop I have legacy and UEFI enabled and there aren't any windows issues (that I have had with them both enabled.  

24 minutes ago, flowalex said:

What version of Linux are you trying to install, on my laptop I have legacy and UEFI enabled and there aren't any windows issues (that I have had with them both enabled.  

I'm trying to install Kubuntu 17.04

10 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Try legacy.

10 hours ago, Raziq_26 said:

[0.22474] ACPI Error: [\_SB_.PCIe.XHC.HS11] Namespace lookup failure.
AE_NOT_FOUND (20160930/dxwload-210)
[0.022481] ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20160930/pxohject-Z27)
[0.022527] ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, (SSDT:xh_rvp00) while loading table (20160990/tbxfload-220)
[0.029920] ACPI Error: 1 table load failure, 7 successful (20160930/tbxfload-246)

Here's an image of one time where it got farther, but just stopped this was done by telling the bios to boot it up in legacy mode:

vlcsnap-2017-10-18-10h35m39s577.png.ab9bf65e06ae90fa0d4a60c799beab2c.png

Brah, do you even Java?

So from what I can tell it is the graphics drivers, I am guessing you have a Nvidia graphics card since the nouveau is having issues.  Try using the Nvidia option, the Nvidia driver enabled by default for that iso, for this operating system,  based off of Ubuntu Gnome just to see if that is the issue https://system76.com/pop

5 minutes ago, flowalex said:

So from what I can tell it is the graphics drivers, I am guessing you have a Nvidia graphics card since the nouveau is having issues.  Try using the Nvidia option, the Nvidia driver enabled by default for that iso, for this operating system,  based off of Ubuntu Gnome just to see if that is the issue https://system76.com/pop

I'll try, and also, NVidia Game Experience updates the GPU's BIOS every month or so. My rig has the Intel Integrated Graphics in it, should I turn that on and plug my monitor into the motherboard directly and see if it can't boot that way? Or is there a way to get Kubuntu with the latest closed source driver?

Brah, do you even Java?

You can, but then if you switch between Linux and Windows you would have to change where the display is plugged in, also it may still give errors, one thing that can always be done is install other desktop environments after the os is installed, I have Gnome, Mate Plasma, LXDE all installed on my laptop, but I used the Gnome version of Ubuntu to install.

3 minutes ago, flowalex said:

You can, but then if you switch between Linux and Windows you would have to change where the display is plugged in, also it may still give errors, one thing that can always be done is install other desktop environments after the os is installed, I have Gnome, Mate Plasma, LXDE all installed on my laptop, but I used the Gnome version of Ubuntu to install.

So there is no way to load Kubuntu with NVidia's proprietary driver upon booting up the installer?

Brah, do you even Java?

5 hours ago, Tech N Gamer said:

So there is no way to load Kubuntu with NVidia's proprietary driver upon booting up the installer?

I have never tried,  I personally don't care for kde, the main reason why I have it installed is for KDE connect,  sorry I can't help with that maybe someone else can

10 minutes ago, flowalex said:

I have never tried,  I personally don't care for kde, the main reason why I have it installed is for KDE connect,  sorry I can't help with that maybe someone else can

Well, I'm still waiting for that one ISO to download. My internet is slow af. I've decided to try the legacy with the Integrated Graphics enabled, but KDE thought there were 2 monitors for some reason.

Brah, do you even Java?

1 hour ago, flowalex said:

It was because of the Open Sourced NVidia Driver. The ISO you linked me booted up just fine. I might go and email Canonical asking to add an option to download an ISO that has the NVidia Closed Source driver. And if I install this Linux Distro, will I be able to turn around and install the KDE environment?

Brah, do you even Java?

I don't think they will add that to the official downloads, before Pop!_OS I would manually compile the Nvidia drivers.  The reason it has the drivers is that it makes their systems easier to ship, example of one of their computers (Oryx Pro).  I was looking at some stuff about KDE and Nvidia there seems to be some performance and other issues with it.  

1 minute ago, flowalex said:

I don't think it's an issue with just KDE, I've tried Mint, KDE Neon, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and ElementaryOS. Those are really the only Linux Distro's I know of and they all didn't want to boot. But I did find this article while waiting for Pop to install. https://askubuntu.com/questions/127305/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-a-computer-with-a-nvidia-geforce-gtx-550-ti I'm going to see if this works before I commit and say that I found an answer.

Brah, do you even Java?

Just now, Tech N Gamer said:

Good luck, I have gotten lazy with installs, I usually reinstall every few months so if it reduces the downtime and effort I take it.  Unity I have never had issues with, but I usually compile the drivers manually since the update installer doesn't always seem to work

2 hours ago, flowalex said:

Good luck, I have gotten lazy with installs, I usually reinstall every few months so if it reduces the downtime and effort I take it.  Unity I have never had issues with, but I usually compile the drivers manually since the update installer doesn't always seem to work

holy s*** it actually works that link I provided fully works but the resolution is off. 

Brah, do you even Java?

On 10/18/2017 at 8:35 PM, Tech N Gamer said:

holy s*** it actually works that link I provided fully works but the resolution is off. 

Awesome, Glad it worked