WIndows License during Mobo RMA

I see online that you can tie your windows license to a microsoft account.   Is there anyways to replace the motherboard and reactivate WITHOUT setting up an account?  I have 0 want or need for a microsoft account. 

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would think you only have to worry about your Windows license if you're replacing a hard drive...

Not with windows 10, the license is tied to the motherboard.

The only way to move it is to make a microsoft account.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hmm unless you have your original key you can call them tell them you changed hardware and want re active and they can do it over the phone (there is also a ms bot for this; works well). Or yeah tying it to an MS account is the only other know option.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

Monitors: 2x Asus TUF Gaming 24" 1440p  144hz, 2x LG  75Hz 1080p LED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB Display: 16-inch (3072 x 1920)

2 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

i do have the original key,  but  i dont see anyway to link it to a MS account.  i guess ill have to call it in

Login into win10 with a ms account it should automatically bind to your account. You can check activation it should say "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your ms account"

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

2 minutes ago, bradmonster said:

Login into win10 with a ms account it should automatically bind to your account. You can check activation it should say "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your ms account"

I can only log in with my company domain. nothing else will work. onlything i can do is remove the pc from the domain and sign in as the original user account i set up .. THEN i might be able to. 

Just now, JCBiggs said:

I can only log in with my company domain. nothing else will work. onlything i can do is remove the pc from the domain and sign in as the original user account i set up .. THEN i might be able to. 

Go for it, if it fails you may have to just try phone activation

Sounds like it worked then or its tied to an email? Or maybe it's tied to your domain? Either way good luck hope the info helped.

38 minutes ago, bradmonster said:

Sounds like it worked then or its tied to an email? Or maybe it's tied to your domain? Either way good luck hope the info helped.

literally as I was typing a message back to you, the pc crashed. and this time I think for good. Q code 00,  red cpu light.. no post, not beeps, nothing.  before I was having problems, I could always reboot (eventually) 

its odd though. if the cpu or mobo just died, you would expect it to "just die"  well when it crashed this time, windows 10 blue screened and said "were collecting info"  etc. THEN shut off.....now apparentely, forever..

f'in a.. I should of replaced in months ago. I bet it killed the CPU too.  oh well. guess im RMA'ing both of them tomorrow

On 10/17/2017 at 8:00 PM, bradmonster said:

I didnt do anything. I put the new motherboard and cpu in, and started the computer. It configured for a few minutes and Im typing on it right now. I litterally did nothing but change hardware.