Gaming PC Build

Centurius

Hello,

After my notebook from 2008 finally becoming unable to play games at a reasonable fps on low I have determined it is time to move on. As the reason at the time for mobility has since gone away(all hail tablets) I have decided to go with a rig that has the ability to run the latest games with good quality on 1080p and will be able to do so for the next few years. I live in the Netherlands, while parts aren't much more expensive than in other regions they are quite a bit when compared to the US. My budget is about €1100, I already have a Windows 8 systembuilder license, I also have a gaming keyboard and mouse and also a headphone so I don't need peripherals. I will be using only a single monitor(60hz right now but I do have plans of moving up to 120). Finally I also have a WD Black 2 TB drive so I do not need a mass storage drive in the build.

The build so far:

i5 4670k(€207.90) with a Hyper212 Evo(€32). While I realize this isn't a particularly good one for high overclocks I only plan to overclock when it becomes needed and minor ones at that. I only want to have the option to do so in the future without needing to get a massive upgrade.

GA-Z87-HD3(€94.90)

EVGA Geforce GTX 770 SC w/ ACX(€329). I realize there are cheaper 770s and 280x but I just really like the way it looks and quite a few of my friends have been very positive about their EVGA cards.

Crucial M500 240GB(€134.90)

Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600(€64.90)

Corsair CS550M(€84.90). While it's a relatively new GPU I've read nice things about it and it's a fairly nicely priced 80-Plus gold from a good company and semi-modular so what's not to like?

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Windowed(€104.90). The case is intended to last more than a few upgrade cycles so I'd really like to spend some good money on it now, to go together with the fancy colour combination the build unintentionally gained the window is a nice pro

Making for a combined total of €1064.84 including shipping.

Do any of you have any specific recommendations on which parts are better and/or cheaper yet of the same quality. 1100 is an absolute maximum for my budget but anything below it is of course welcome.

Slightly related to this, for the assembly. Which tools should I buy, as in would just a screwdriver suffice or something else? Is an ESD mat worth it or will just a wristband suffice and if so does the R4 case have a good point to ground on or should I use the ground on my socket?

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Your graphics card is a bad choice, this is because if you have the 2GB version, then the next generation of game won't run well if you run out of VRAM. BF4 and Crysis 3 use more than 2GB VRAM for 1080p gaming. If you get the 4GB version, then you won't be able to use all of it since the memory bus is small and will cause your game to slow down. 

Read "Why not to get the 760/770 4GB Here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/76184-why-not-to-get-the-760770-4gb/#entry1045063

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I would give you a build but PCPartPicker is down atm  :(

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Your graphics card is a bad choice

Howso, and what would you suggest as a replacement?

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Howso, and what would you suggest as a replacement?

Read my edited post, I was searching for my old thread.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

if ur planning on a 120hz monitor u should get a much better GPU otherwise it doesnt make sense

I prefer better cooling, although I overclock everything.... So it might be fine. One other tips is I quite like the 290 (Not the x) for the price it slots in at. Just some food for though :D

It looks fine to me.

I don't use a ESD wristband, and a phillips head screwdriver will work fine.

What he said^

You can just touch the case to ground yourself.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.