Anyone bench Kaby Lake with DDR3L??

RAM would be the least that effect system performance.

rip

Just now, rip said:

RAM would be the least that effect system performance.

Yes I know this but I am just wondering if anyone actually runs such a system in real life. 

Probably someone does, but no reviewer is going to waste their time reviewing something that 3 and a half people use...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Agreed. Not enough boards support the feature, so it's not worth reviewing. Honestly if you're basically buying everything anyway, just pony up the money to get new RAM as well.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Probably someone does, but no reviewer is going to waste their time reviewing something that 3 and a half people use...

But that is the whole novelty of it. Kinda like 28 core Xeon's, Xeon Phi's, Arm development boards, Ln2 cooling. Sometimes the rarer something is the more interesting it can be even if the results are easy to predict (such as using DDR4 at the same speeds and timings as DDR3(L).  Kinda like Linus's HOLY $hit episodes..

3 minutes ago, utroz said:

But that is the whole novelty of it. Kinda like 28 core Xeon's, Xeon Phi's, Arm development boards, Ln2 cooling. Sometime the rarer something is the more interesting it can be even if the results are easy to predict (such as using DDR4 at the same speeds and timings as DDR3(L). 

"omg I'm using slightly older ram technology, so I get half an fps less"

so interesting!

Stuff like xeon phis and LN2 cooling actually makes a huge difference, and a lot of people use those compared to the people who spent money on a new motherboard, new CPU, but couldn't afford an extra few bucks to replace their DDR3L. Oh, and that's already for the extremely small number of people who were using DDR3L instead of DDR3.

It's a niche within a niche.

Just like the number of people using IDE drives with their GTX1080ti gaming PC.

Maybe we should do benchmarks on how much fps loss you get when using IDE for gaming in 2017! I bet there are at least two people who care!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

"omg I'm using slightly older ram technology, so I get half an fps less"

so interesting!

Stuff like xeon phis and LN2 cooling actually makes a huge difference, and a lot of people use those compared to the people who spent money on a new motherboard, new CPU, but couldn't afford an extra few bucks to replace their DDR3L. Oh, and that's already for the extremely small number of people who were using DDR3L instead of DDR3.

It's a niche within a niche.

I am well aware I was just curious. The first odd ram setup I ever had was using a RAM Tree that allowed me to used 4 30Pin SIMMS in one 72 Pinn SIMM slot. It actually did effect performance due to the fact that the ram was rated at a higher NS (Nano Second) rating. So another kinda weird thing is could they make a DDR3(L) Z370 board or did Intel actually change the IMC on Coffee Lake from Kaby Lake and Skylake? The info doesn't seem to be out in the public.. 

Just now, dexT said:

Should be same perf at same freq/timings.

Actually DDR3 should be faster by a bit at the same speeds and timings due to the design of DDR4. This has always been true since going from DDR to DDR2, and DDR2 to DDR3 (and maybe even before like FPM to EDO and SDR to DDR..)

1 minute ago, utroz said:

Actually DDR3 should be faster by a bit at the same speeds and timings due to the design of DDR4. This has always been true since going from DDR to DDR2, and DDR2 to DDR3 (and maybe even before like FPM to EDO and SDR to DDR..)

I can see that. My DDR2 1400 C5 tears it up and scores higher in a lot of benches using the same CPU than faster DDR3/higher CL but still being nearly even in the latency mathematical equation.

23 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Agreed. Not enough boards support the feature, so it's not worth reviewing. Honestly if you're basically buying everything anyway, just pony up the money to get new RAM as well.

DDR3L is different to DDR3 and is typically used in the SODIMM form factor, I would say OP would be looking at buying new RAM anyway :) 

Just now, RorzNZ said:

DDR3L is different to DDR3 and is typically used in the SODIMM form factor, I would say OP would be looking at buying new RAM anyway :) 

Yes DDR3L SODIMM's save a couple watts which helps you get 15min extra battery life on your laptop.. The whole reason that Skylake used DDR3L and not regular DDR3 was that the voltage was too high for DDR3 and Intel thought it could fry the CPU and IMC in the long run. Also I am not buying any DDR4 anytime soon.. No point for me with my current setups..

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

DDR3L is just low voltage. I don't think any of the boards use SODIMM.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Exactly, you can just undervolt DDR3 and you have DDR3L.. Well there may be some weird mini ITX board that use SODIMM DDR3L or some other small form factor.. 

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Laptops and boards that use form factors that are mini-ITX or similar use it. DDR3L is not just low voltage. Boards that are compatible with DDR3L may not be compatible with DDR3. It is not interchangeable! I believe there are some Skylake boards that do support standard DDR3 however.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

Laptops and boards that use form factors that are mini-ITX or similar use it. DDR3L is not just low voltage. Boards that are compatible with DDR3L may not be compatible with DDR3. It is not interchangeable! I believe there are some Skylake boards that do support standard DDR3 however.

Not really. Finding an mITX board with SODIMM slots is extremely rare. Look it up. Every single motherboard that's DDR3L compatible for Skylake uses standard sized DIMMs.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Not really. Finding an mITX board with SODIMM slots is extremely rare. Look it up. Every single motherboard that's DDR3L compatible for Skylake uses standard sized DIMMs.

I'd take another look to see whether it is really DDR3L. 

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I'd take another look to see whether it is really DDR3L. 

Here, let me explain it for you in the most simplest way with this AsRock board.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-HDVD3/

ASRock Super Alloy

Supports 7th and 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors (Socket 1151)

Supports Dual Channel DDR3/DDR3L 1866(OC)

Now, let's take a look at the Kaby page on the Intel website.

https://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Memory Types DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

No mention of DDR3, so yo can't claim that it's only referring to that for the write up of the AsRock board.

Here's three companies making DDR3L in standard DIMMs, easily found with a quick Google search.

http://www.adata.com/en/specification/225

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct102464bd160b

http://www.legitreviews.com/silicon-power-now-offering-ddr3-ultra-low-voltage-memory_127601

Which is yet another reason why it's not widely adopted.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler