What can you do with a home server?

nkucz

so use my CPU, Ram and grab a what 350w psu? and 2tb wd green? and cheap motherboard?

so what motherboard do you think?

Well if you want ITX and it needs to be gigabyte and since there is a 3570K might as well use the Z77N if you plan to use it for something else later.

550w PSU is fine.

HDD is up to you on size.

\

For this purpose, I would use FreeNAS 8.3.1 myself simply because I am familiar with it. It can do what you want. Lifehacker has a guide for setting everything you would need to have running up to do this. 

FreeNAS works with Windows, OS X, and Linux. And can be used for various other things with plugins. Such as a torrent machine (keeping viruses off your actual computer). 

I have an old AMD Black Phenom X4 downclocked to 2.0GHz and with 2 cores disabled running it. You don't need more than that for a FreeNAS server, and it saves on power (a server needs to be power efficient because the idea is to have it on 24/7).

If you end up using your 3570k, I would do what I've done to my Phenom X4. Underclock and disable 2 cores.

Question @tobben & @Nicholas Marzio, How is a Hackintosh better suited for this purpose? Or is it? Just curious since you two jumped straight to that solution.

I would think OS X works best with OS X since you can use the Time Machine feature. And it probably simpler than setting up a FreeNAS for backing up.

\

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

I was debating building a very cheap one for my parents because they always lose files and stuff, so a server could be used as a backup? However, they use Mac OSX so they couldn't backup to a windows server anyway?

Linux? 

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Question @tobben & @Nicholas Marzio, How is a Hackintosh better suited for this purpose? Or is it? Just curious since you two jumped straight to that solution.

i never said anything about a hackintosh, if anything i just forwarded the idea of a ubuntu/samba setup.

i never said anything about a hackintosh, if anything i just forwarded the idea of a ubuntu/samba setup.

Sorry, meant SSOB. Read one post, thought it was from you and not him. Going too fast. D: 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

lol, why would  spend 1k when I would only need to spend like another 200-300 if not less to build my own

Linux? 

to confusing for them probably, I would like to use their current interface so they don't get confused 

I would think OS X works best with OS X since you can use the Time Machine feature. And it probably simpler than setting up a FreeNAS for backing up.

would this work?

motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128541

CPU: 3570k

RAM: G.SKILL 1333MHz 8GB DDR3

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151077

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

I heard you can't do a mackintosh Mac OS X server... they don't have hacks to install the server os

I heard you can't do a mackintosh Mac OS X server... they don't have hacks to install the server os

If that ends up meaning your only choice is FreeNAS 8.3.1, and you decide to go for that, just let me know if you need help. I know a little about macs and enough about FreeNAS to help out.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but you could set up vpn at home so you will be able to surf securely on public networks as well as bypass firewalls at school/work, also you could host vm's for different tasks. 

If you have google Fibre it makes a home server a lot more useless then it ever has been. However you could set up very good dedicated game servers for games like BF4 and crysis 3. other then that its not worth your time since your gaming computer can stream crap to your TV and phones/tablets already. If your looking for movie streaming just stick a 2TB HDD in your gaming PC and cram movies/TV onto it. However

Isohunt is gone again for free HD TV. So your stuck with streaming TV for now. from like watchseries or projectfreetv

I think Graboid hosts those files on their servers but they got the files from places like isohunt and such sooooooo. that might be coming to a end for newer episodes.

We really might be just stuck with streaming TV in SD if you want it for mostly free

places like Viooz stream in almost HD for movies but not TV

feel free to delete this post if your not allowed to say those things

I have a home server that runs a 1tb for pc backup, 500gb for media, and a 160gb boot

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ