What can you do with a home server?

nkucz

Don't really understand what a home server is used for and how you set it up... Kinda random and I sound like a noob but I'm interested. 

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

Central file storage is probably the biggest use for one.

This.

Movie streaming to various devices (phones, consoles, DVR's, PC's, etc etc)

Music streaming to aforementioned devices.

Document sharing. 

All 3 of those things basically, generally, fall under the use of "file server".

I personally use my home server to play on older emulators from anywhere. SNES games are like, what 120KB-1MB (depends on the game)? My upload speed can handle that (200KB/s). By anywhere, I mean over the internet as an RPC server.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Central file storage is probably the biggest use for one.

so like you backup all your files on it?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

• Set up a NAS
  • use it for a game server or teamspeak server
  • host a website
  • run a torrentdownloader software
  • back up PC's in your network to the server

sure people on here are going to be able to come up with a lot of there ways to use a home server.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I was debating building a very cheap one for my parents because they always lose files and stuff, so a server could be used as a backup? However, they use Mac OSX so they couldn't backup to a windows server anyway?

I was debating building a very cheap one for my parents because they always lose files and stuff, so a server could be used as a backup? However, they use Mac OSX so they couldn't backup to a windows server anyway?

You can build a hackintosh and install OS X Server.

\

What would I need? it would be great if I could use my old 3570k some how

i think both a windows and mac pc would be able to utilize the same server for sharing files?..

I can give you a build. What is the max budget? And else do you have besides the CPU.

i think both a windows and mac pc would be able to utilize the same server for sharing files?..

Apple doesn't like NTFS so you can't backup to them. It would be better (for stability) to use OS X

\

As for the specs get this mobo : GA-B75M-D3P and you should be fine.

Interested in Business and Technology

I heard there is a way of doing it.... how much RAM would I need? and could I use my i5 3570k? should I get a server motherboard and ram and be done?

As for the specs get this mobo : GA-B75M-D3P and you should be fine.

I kind of want a itx system because I'm sure they don't want some big thing lol

I can give you a build. What is the max budget? And else do you have besides the CPU.

Apple doesn't like NTFS so you can't backup to them. It would be better (for stability) to use OS X

Well, I have the cpu I have 8gb DDR3 1333 ram but its not server ram if that matters? I also have a motherboard, but I want an ITX one and I have a 550w psu and thats all I could use

I kind of want a itx system because I'm sure they don't want some big thing lol

Fair enough , just follow the video than...

Well, I have the cpu I have 8gb DDR3 1333 ram but its not server ram if that matters? I also have a motherboard, but I want an ITX one and I have a 550w psu and thats all I could use

Nice , the ram doesn't have to be server ram and the PSU is more than enough.

Okay, RAM is perfect. What PSU?

\

Fair enough , just follow the video than...

Nice , the ram doesn't have to be server ram and the PSU is more than enough.

So should I get a server motherboard or just a regular board?

Okay, RAM is perfect. What PSU?

its a Rosewill capstone 550w... probably overkill lol

you can do ANYTHING*

seriously you can do anything*

*just as long as you have the specs to match it

Regular board is fine. Are you in the US?

\

The thing with hackintosh builds is that some boards work and some don't . I suggest you make a thread over at our colleagues at tonymacx86.com to really get a proper anwser.

For this purpose, I would use FreeNAS 8.3.1 myself simply because I am familiar with it. It can do what you want. Lifehacker has a guide for setting everything you would need to have running up to do this. 

FreeNAS works with Windows, OS X, and Linux. And can be used for various other things with plugins. Such as a torrent machine (keeping viruses off your actual computer). 

I have an old AMD Black Phenom X4 downclocked to 2.0GHz and with 2 cores disabled running it. You don't need more than that for a FreeNAS server, and it saves on power (a server needs to be power efficient because the idea is to have it on 24/7).

If you end up using your 3570k, I would do what I've done to my Phenom X4. Underclock and disable 2 cores.

Question @tobben & @Nicholas Marzio, How is a Hackintosh better suited for this purpose? Or is it? Just curious since you two jumped straight to that solution.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

that depends if what you want to do with it ... if you are going to use it strictly for file sharing you need next to nothing .. just keep it as barebones as possible and try to make something that requires as little electricity as possible.

how about using samba.

The thing with hackintosh builds is that some boards work and some don't . I suggest you make a thread over at our colleagues at tonymacx86.com to really get a proper anwser.

Sorted that already

\

Regular board is fine. Are you in the US?

yes im in the US

that depends if what you want to do with it ... if you are going to use it strictly for file sharing you need next to nothing .. just keep it as barebones as possible and try to make something that requires as little electricity as possible.

how about using samba.

so use my CPU, Ram and grab a what 350w psu? and 2tb wd green? and cheap motherboard?

Sorted that already

so what motherboard do you think?