Noctua NH-D15S strain on motherboard?

PCMasterGuy

Hi I'm thinking about getting the Noctua NH-D15S for my next build. My motherboard will be installed horizontally with it's backside down. Now, the NH-D15S is pretty heavy, and I'm worried that it might bend my motherboard or damage the CPU long term since it's basically standing straight up from the mobo. Is there reason to be worried or is it fine. Also I'd like to be able to move my case without needing to remove the CPU cooler all the time, is it OK to do that with this cooler installed, or do I have to remove it to prevent damage?

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

a pcb is way stronger then u think, u could hang a brick on ur pcb almost and still be ok

short said, it will be totally fine ._.

To include, the mount slots are reinforced, the colored (usually yellow-ish) circle that you see around the mounting holes give additional rigidity to the mounting slots. Your MB may flex (maybe forever) with it installed but you will be fine. If you're scared, record it and if it breaks, contact Noctua.

There's a reason why they say you gotta make sure you screw down your cooler to your motherboard properly. Seriously, you'll be fine. When you tighten your screws, tighten them until they're snug. That should be more than enough.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

mobo flex doesnt really cause damage it only might make it harder to install a gpu because you have to apply a bit more pressure to fit the card perfectly in the slot

There's reason why bigger coolers use backplates. If you've listened in physics classes during middle/high school, you understand why. Mobo is held by 6-9 screws (ATX). Those screws divide pressure evenly over whole mobo. Coolers use backplates. The way backplate works is that it moves strain that cooler causes from socket to all mobo. If all screws are tight, there won't be any single point where strain would cause trouble.

Mobos have weight limitation for cooler that don't use backplate.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv